Beginners and Beyond

Run To End MS half-marathon (RR and pics) (Read 127 times)

happylily

I have always been intrigued by the people here who have said that they PRed in a second race, shortly after running a marathon. Knowing that my own marathon recoveries are usually quick, I decided to see if it would work for me as well.

MY GOAL

My last 10 mile time trial, prior to my marathon, was 1:12:02. Based on that, McMillan indicates a 1:36:05 equivalent HM finish time. My old PR, set on the same course 2 years ago, was 1:43:57 (I have since done many 13.1 mile training runs much faster, usually around 1:40/1:42). I felt I had a sub-1:40 in me, but I wasn't sure by how much. I thought that trying for a 1:36 so soon after my Boston marathon would be pushing my luck, so I opted for a 1:38 goal. That would give me a new PR and would match my Boston marathon finish time according to the McMillan calculator. But, in the back of my mind, there was also the possibility that I would crash at some point due to an incomplete recovery. I was ready to risk that. In fact, knowing that it was a possibility made me approach the race in a very relaxed manner. I felt no pressure, as this race was more like an experiment. I slept like a baby the night before and I was not even trying to focus as I lined up at the start line. Que sera sera...

MY TWO PRE-RACE WEEKS

After Boston, I took two days off running. Then I ran 30 miles at recovery pace the rest of the week. This week, I ran two 9 milers, one was 20 seconds slower than MP and the other included a series of 800m intervals at HM pace. My legs felt fine and so did my lungs and heart. I was pleased with that. I also did strides in a 6 mile run on Friday. I will finish today with 45 miles for the week. Next week, I am returning to my regular marathon training schedule for my next marathon in 4 weeks. I am very grateful that recoveries never seem a problem for me.

THE RACE

The race was in Cornwall, Ontario, about 2 hours away from my house. SO and I left on Friday night and slept at a Ramada Inn. DS stayed home. We always enjoy these little escapades. It's a great way for us to spend time together and it makes us feel young and adventurous again. Smile SO had registered for the 5k. Due to a recent bout of bronchitis, his training had stalled. So he was going to treat this race as a training run (but he nonetheless finished 2 seconds away from his PR, so I am very proud of him).

The Cornwall Run To End MS half-marathon is a small race, in a small, but very friendly town. The course is in a federal park that lines the St. Lawrence River. We run on a bicycle/walking path, in a wooded environment, with views of the river on one side. It is quite pretty. It is also a very twisty and somewhat hillyish course. Not your typical easy flat course. It's also an out and back course.

I woke up around 6 am on Saturday morning, after a good night of sleep. Breakfast was included (not sure why I even mention that. Big grin) and I had my regular bagel and peanut butter. It was clouded and about 6-7*C (44* F). Perfect running temperature.

The race was at 9 am. I lined up at the start line, feeling pretty good and in control. The race director said a few eloquent words about the events in Boston and we had a minute of silence for the 4 victims. I felt very emotional during that minute, like I knew personally these 4 people. All I can say is that I definitely ran with them in my heart.

Off we went. From the start, I found myself running around 3 other women, a dozen fast guys who pulled away after half a mile and everyone else stayed far behind us. My goal pace was 7:30 mpm, but I ran the first two miles too fast, 7:15 and 7:14. I was trying to slow down, afraid that going out too fast would make me fade early in the race, but each time, after a few minutes of running at 7:30, I would naturally start going faster. Miles 2-3-4-5 and 6 were 7:18, 7:21, 7:21 and 7:26. At that point, I decided that was the pace that felt good for that day and I opted to aim for a sub-7:30 pace for the rest of the race. I felt no pain in my legs, although when we would hit parts of the path that were on rocks, or when I was running downhill, I felt like I couldn't feel my legs anymore and was afraid to fall. I definitely had residual leg fatigue from the marathon two weeks ago. Also, going uphill didn't feel as comfortable as usual (but, does it ever feel comfortable?). Overall though, I really didn't feel like I had run 26.2 miles just recently.

After the first mile, one young woman pulled away and after a while, I couldn't see her anymore. She finished first overall and first in the 20-29 AG. The other two women were running together, but after two or three miles, one of them slowed down. She would finish one minute behind me and after the race, she told me that she had tried hard to catch up to me but was unable to. She was 30 years old and finished 1st in her AG. Her friend finished second overall and was also a 20-29 AG. From mile 3 to the end of the race, I knew that I was third female overall and first in my AG. That kept me running strong the whole time. But on the other hand, running alone most of the time can also present a mental challenge. But for me, not on that day. That day, I was hungry for a good PR.

I felt that I didn't have to stop for water at any time and I didn't fuel either. I slowed down in the last two miles, maybe in part because I was dehydrated at that point, but mostly, I suspect, because of my race two weeks ago.

The last few miles were done with the 10k and 5k runners who had started their race at 10 am. I don't like when this happens as I find it hard mentally to see people walking (the 5k walkers) as I am struggling myself in my last miles. It is always like an invitation to me to slow down... But, what can we do? They are entitled to their race and it's my problem, not theirs...

MY SPLITS

Mile 1, 7:15

Mile 2, 7;14

Mile 3, 7;18

Mile 4, 7;21

Mile 5, 7;21

Mile 6, 7;26 (hill)

Mile 7, 7:13

Mile 8, 7:21

Mile 9, 7:28 (bigger hill)

Mile 10, 7:18

Mile 11, 7:22

Mile 12, 7:30 (the last miles were what I call my Boston miles Big grin. I was starting to fade at this point.)

Mile 13, 7:27

Last bit, 7:36

Finish time: 1:35:57, a PR by 8 minutes on the same course.

3rd female overall, on 42

1st AG, on 13

For $29.99, I had to buy the whole package of pictures (about 30 of them). I thought it was a great deal! Big grin And who knows, someday I'll be old and maybe I'll want to take up scrapbooking as a hobby and make a running album... Come to think of it, I'd rather die first. I have no patience for crafts... Big grin

The lady right behind me is the 30 year old who would finish 4th overall, a minute behind me.

Starting to look disheveled here. Big grin

Man I look dorky... The things I do for my races... Big grin

I finished unable to smile and looking awful, but I was actually quite happy. Big grin

There were no medals given to the finishers. Only to the top winners and to the AG winners. This was my third year winning my AG. The awards were being handed inside the gym at the local community college. Of course, my SO took pictures of pretty much everything, except me. Big grin Probably better this way as I was shivering in my cold sweaty clothes (I had forgotten to bring a change of clothes). I met one woman who was in Boston two weeks ago. She was 100 meters away from the finish line when the blasts went off. She saw everything and did not get to finish her race. When I asked her whether she had received a medal and if her time had been adjusted, she replied that no and that she did not want any of these things. She said that she would dislike receiving a medal or be given a time when she in fact had not finished the race, even though by no fault of hers. I can understand her feelings... She also said that she will never be able to return to Boston, even if she ever qualifies again. She was traumatized. I felt sorry for her. I hope she comes to peace with what happened and that one day she is able to return.

These three gentlemen were all in their 80s and they had run (not walked) the 10k! We went to shake their hands, but were too embarrassed to ask for a picture. So we took a sneaky pic. Smile

In the end, all that is left for me to say is that it feels good to be alive. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

Julie, congrats on the PR! Your pictures are always amazing, and that's cheap for race photos. They wanted $29 for one picture at my last half, so I didn't purchase any. When I looked at your splits, I had to laugh when you put "a bigger hill", and the time was just 2 seconds slower than the other hill. Thanks for running this is support for MS. My dad has lived with this debilitating disease for over 50 years.

Mitch

happylily

Julie, congrats on the PR! Your pictures are always amazing, and that's cheap for race photos. They wanted $29 for one picture at my last half, so I didn't purchase any. When I looked at your splits, I had to laugh when you put "a bigger hill", and the time was just 2 seconds slower than the other hill. Thanks for running this is support for MS. My dad has lived with this debilitating disease for over 50 years.

Mitch

Thanks, Mitch. :-) There were people with MS at the finish line, in wheelchairs. They were there to cheer for us. It made me very aware of how lucky my SO and myself are and also very aware of the importance of caring for those less fortunate than us.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Don't call me Buttercup!

Holy hot tamales, you are fast! =)  Great job, what a huge PR!    I may have to re-think the whole "never running a marathon" thing, if it could get me results like that!  LOL   Seriously, well done.

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Don't call me Buttercup!

P.S. You are adorable.

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Docket_Rocket

Awesome PR, Lily!  Congratulations!

And what Di said.  If you weren't such a good friend I would hate you for being so cuteJoking.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Luke79

Good job Lily.  Nice consistent pacing throughout, even with the slight fade at the end.  Grats on being a badass Smile

Zelanie

Yet another challenge that you have faced and defeated!  And you have come so far since the last time you ran the course!

I agree, that's a great price for photos.  And the photos came out so well, too!

MrNamtor

Wow Julie, what a machine you are! Seriously. A PR and (once again) 1st in your AG 2 weeks after Boston?

Excellent RR and great pics too. Thanks!

Just B.S.

Another great race Julie!! Big congtrats!

The last 2 years I have PR'd whatever distance race I ran just after a full.

Last fall I PR'd my full by 7 minutes , then 3 weeks later a half by almost 2 minutes , then 5 days after

that   5k by 1:10.

It's good to capitalize on the training and miles if your legs feel ready to run hard after a full and yours

always are.Smile

Hip Redux

The line about crafts made me LOL - I totally agree.  Ain't no one got time for that.  :P

Awesome job on the PR and AG win!    You recover well, clearly!

Antipodean

Great job, Julie! You're a running machine! Seriously, you never get injured and you don't need recovery time. You're lucky and it's a great thing that you get so much enjoyment out of it. Run long & run hard!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

SheCan

WTG, Lilly!  You really are such a fast, strong woman!  Congratulations on this fantastic PR!

Love the pictures, especially of you and your DH looking so in love.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Just B.S.

Julie, I have an entire scrapbook album full of running/races pages.I will have something to prove to the other

old folks in the nursing home and I really was a runner. Also lots of memories for our boys from when they

ran with us.

You can also do photobooks on line! I have a one few of those too, easy and pretty too.Smile

For $29.99, I had to buy the whole package of pictures (about 30 of them). I thought it was a great deal! Big grin And who knows, someday I'll be old and maybe I'll want to take up scrapbooking as a hobby and make a running album... Come to think of it, I'd rather die first. I have no patience for crafts... Big grin

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Now that you're that close, can we get you thinking about sub-1:30 or at least sub-1:31:45 (sub-7:00.0 pace)

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.