Beginners and Beyond

2nd Half Marathon (Read 47 times)

Mr Dude

Almost any course is going to measure longer than 13.1 unless it is a point to point course on a completely straight road. If the course is certified, it uses the shortest path, most runners won't run it that way. If you have to weave around slower folks, that adds to the distance as well.

If you are doing fewer days, you might want to look at Run Les s, Run Faster. For a 2 hour half, you are running your runs way fast based on most training plans.Look up either the McMillan or Daniels running calculator. It will give you an idea for training paces (as will RLRF).

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware of that so I guess I don't have any excuses and will have to shave off more than 2 minutes and I will totally look into those. I guess it makes sense that 9-10 minute mile runs is fast for a 9 minute mile goal pace.

Mr Dude

I got 13.22 when I ran Steam Train.  Definitely a tad long, but I'd rather have it be long instead of short, otherwise I'd feel like I didn't run the full distance for the sake of PR's.  No doubt that mile 10 hill was a killer.  I have not done Mystic but I hear it is a tough, hilly course.  If you're looking for something flat and fast in Connecticut, the Cheshire HM (April 29) and Gulf Beach HM in Milford (Sept 15) are both very flat.  The Iron Horse HM on June 3 is also pretty flat, but it's got some rolling inclines...certainly a lot easier than Steam Train.  I live in Simsbury and run on the Iron Horse route all the time.

Thanks I will have to keep that in mind and try to shave off more than just 2 minutes.

As for races I had considered doing the steam train again next year but my cousin is getting married that day, and I also looked at the Fairfield Half which is supposed to be flat but this year they moved it up a few weeks so it clashes with a pre-planned vacation I have. The Mystic one stood out to me because I go there several times a year (my wife is obsessed with the penguins) and the start line is right outside the hotel I have stayed at many times and the finish line is in the aquarium parking lot. So it will at least be familiar and comfortable. The Milford one is actually pretty close to where I live and I had not heard of that one so it sounds pretty good, thanks for pointing it out. If things don't go well on the Mystic one that certainly sounds good as it is only 16 weeks later, so I could either keep going or take a month off then jump right into another 12 week plan. Thanks!

Mr Dude

I just wanted to say thanks again for tipping me off about the Gulf Beach HM in Milford. I live in Shelton and the timing is great so it is perfect for me. I had not heard of that one and for some reason it didn't show up on my radar at all. I ended up taking the full winter off and I just signed up for it and I am just starting a slow buildup 22 week plan.  Fingers crossed I can get back to where I was and beat the 2 hour mark on that super flat course. Thanks so much!

I got 13.22 when I ran Steam Train.  Definitely a tad long, but I'd rather have it be long instead of short, otherwise I'd feel like I didn't run the full distance for the sake of PR's.  No doubt that mile 10 hill was a killer.  I have not done Mystic but I hear it is a tough, hilly course.  If you're looking for something flat and fast in Connecticut, the Cheshire HM (April 29) and Gulf Beach HM in Milford (Sept 15) are both very flat.  The Iron Horse HM on June 3 is also pretty flat, but it's got some rolling inclines...certainly a lot easier than Steam Train.  I live in Simsbury and run on the Iron Horse route all the time.

Also thanks for the vote of confidence that 3 months is enough. I certainly keep a decent level of fitness through soccer and the biking so hopefully I can pull it off. My soccer games are an hour and I clock almost 3 miles worth of pretty much constant HIIT sprints which for whatever reason doesn't bother my hamstring injury.

This sounds like something that would cause some problems with the hamstring.  Plain and simple if you want to get better/faster at running you need to run more. 2 Days a week isn't gonna cut it like Bread said. I would recommend keeping and holding onto a higher level of running fitness before attempting to jump into any HM training program. Coach Hudson talks about how mileage fluctuations are what actually cause injury. I agree with this. As far as length of HM programs it all depends on what your fitness is goin into them. My recommendation would be to put the race on the back burner right now and focus on building a mileage base. If its something you love to do, you will find the time. I've pretty much cut out every other hobby and run at 4:30am.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Thanks I will have to keep that in mind and try to shave off more than just 2 minutes.

As for races I had considered doing the steam train again next year but my cousin is getting married that day, and I also looked at the Fairfield Half which is supposed to be flat but this year they moved it up a few weeks so it clashes with a pre-planned vacation I have. The Mystic one stood out to me because I go there several times a year (my wife is obsessed with the penguins) and the start line is right outside the hotel I have stayed at many times and the finish line is in the aquarium parking lot. So it will at least be familiar and comfortable. The Milford one is actually pretty close to where I live and I had not heard of that one so it sounds pretty good, thanks for pointing it out. If things don't go well on the Mystic one that certainly sounds good as it is only 16 weeks later, so I could either keep going or take a month off then jump right into another 12 week plan. Thanks!

You really don't want to be fluctuating your mileage like this...No need for a month recovery between races. A week or two of easy running is about it. You will loose so much with taking a month off.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???