Beginners and Beyond

Color Runs (Read 367 times)

sheepla

I don't get it. Pay to get covered with a bunch of crap? 

I totally don't get it either.  But hey, more power to those who think it is fun.

MrNamtor

Pass on mud (unless it's trail), Obstacle, Color, Rave, Night, etc, etc. for me. 

I tried a fun cool gimmick run as my 3rd run in the summer, worst experience ever.

I wouldn't put obstacle races automatically in the gimmick category.

The traversal of obstacles requires conditioning and practice. Overcoming obstacles is not only a legitimate form of competition, it is a form of martial arts, and  encompasses a philosophy that is applicable to other areas of life.

Not to sound like I care about it more than i do, but you know....

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Not for me, but whatever folds your lawn chair or motivates anyone to get there.

dallison

registered pw

I'll never do one, it doesn't look fun as a racer at all.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

YAYpril - B-Plus

I know this is an old thread, but people who know I run seem to get offended when I tell them I'm not interested in gimmicky races. Color Me Rad is coming to my city in May and it was $35 to register. No thanks... I'm glad it sold out quickly.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I know this is an old thread, but people who know I run seem to get offended when I tell them I'm not interested in gimmicky races. Color Me Rad is coming to my city in May and it was $35 to register. No thanks... I'm glad it sold out quickly.

I know what you mean. Not knocking anyone's choices, but they're just not for me. Some girls I work with are doing a women-only mud run and asked me to do it, but thankfully I am on vacation that weekend so I had a decent excuse. Smile

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Dr. Cornsitter

I would do it for fun if it doesn't interfere with any other training. And I mean that for any race--running, color, or obstacle. I'm all for new and different experiences but not at the expense of my long term goal. Ive turned my sister down for several obstacle course races for fear of injury.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh hey my old thread was resurrected.

The Color Run that My friends wanted me to do got rescheduled for 4th of July weekend. I am on break from work the week leading up to it, so there's a pretty good chance I may try to plan a vacation during that time and couldn't commit to registering before it sold out since I didn't know my plans. Meh. Did not lose any sleep over it!!! My friends that are running it though are really motivated and already started training so hey, if that's what motivates them, that's great! I hope they have fun. If I end up in town that weekend there's a 10K on the same course that I ran my first 10K on in December that I will chose to PR instead Wink

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Better I Leave

I wouldn't do one unless my granddaughter asked to run one for/with her...Then I'd do it in a heartbeat. Smile

Sloooow.

I did the New Orleans one, with my toddler, 4 year old, and 26 year old "step daughter". I had my 21 month old on my shoulders and we all ran/walked it in 48 minutes. It was a bunch of fun, but I wouldn't want to do it again. I like the participant feel of smaller races, the Color Run just felt like we were being mass herded. The chalky coloured dust isn't pleasant to run through either.

dallison

registered pw

How do you get home without getting your car all crapped up? Do they have showers there? It seems like a royal mess. What do they do when someone gets it in their eyes. ears, nose and throat? I am sure the disclaimer releases them of any wrongdoing.

It seems like a wreckless way to do things for charity or fun.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Sloooow.

How do you get home without getting your car all crapped up? Do they have showers there? It seems like a royal mess. What do they do when someone gets it in their eyes. ears, nose and throat? I am sure the disclaimer releases them of any wrongdoing.

It seems like a wreckless way to do things for charity or fun.

They have blowers at the end that knocks off most of the excess. We took towels for the car seats, never had a problem. They say, the powder is pretty safe. I think it's corn starch based? Definitely had some interesting colours when blowing my nose for a few days though.

I know a lady who left a color run with her kids, she put towels over the light colored leather seats in her SUV..   She rolled down the windows as she drove off (mistake) and it blew the stuff everywhere.  Multicolored leather. :-)

Also, color runs are so 2012.  Big grin   Why do just a plain old boring a COLOR run when you can do a BUBBLE COLOR RUN?

http://www.groupon.com/deals/the-bubble-run-1

((PS.  Consider these kinds of things more of an "Event" than a run, considering they don't even time it...  :-) ))

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Just B.S.

I think I"m a "real running folk"Smile.

I have nothing against Color Runs or any of the other Spartan runs or the like that have become

popular lately.  I just have zero interest in doing them. No interest in having something thrown

on/at me or getting covered in mud. Lots of people seem to enjoy them and good for them.

Plus I have too much time and training invested in my marathons and swimming to risk getting

hurt at a mud or obstacle race.

Of course I can't wait for my first triathlon of the season and am planning a Half IronMan next

year and most people have zero interest in those.Big grin

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I'm actually surprised at some of my runner friends who ARE doing it.  Never thought they'd be interested in that.  Like I said, whatever folds your lawn chair, though.