Beginners and Beyond

Sunscreened Penguins Wednesday (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I think Mother Nature is now trying to tell us here in San Antonio that REAL summer is right around the corner.  Run at Hardberger Park after work yesterday at around 5 PM.  It felt a bit warm out there....and no wonder!  After I was done, the radio station I was listening to announced the local weather...88 degrees with a 'feels like' of 93...sheesh!  Probably soon be time to become a morning runner for the summer.  Still, I did okay....3.5 miles done.

Tonite after work I will be participating in the monthly Team RWB (Red White Blue) veteran's organization Flag Run to the Alamo...followed by beer and kiolbassa sausages, nice!   Start and finish at the VFW...round trip will be about 3.2 miles.  6:30 pm start.  A nice 'cool' run for the evening, supposed to be around 87 degrees at 6 PM.

Today is National Sunscreen Day, Scotch Tape Day, and Grape Popsicle Day!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning!  I ended up not running yesterday because the leg was still cranky and I had a chance to walk 4.5 with DH, his mom, and the dogs.  I am going out today, though!  1-6, we will see.

Scotty- Hope you have a great time at the flag run!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  I swam a bit yesterday, but didn't get in a second evening run.  The pollen is killing me and I had a sinus headache when I got home from work.  I think we had a bit of a reprieve from the pollen but now it is back in action.  The netipot is my new best friend.  I think I'll do some "speedwork" on the treadmill today instead of running outside in the pollen/humidity.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  PT this morning was fun-ish ... in addition to all my other exercises, I'm now standing on one leg while tossing a ball at a rebounder and catching it.  And then doing the same thing while standing on a pillow.  Clearly my balance is not great, but my hand-eye coordination is pretty good!!  Quartet rehearsal tonight, although we think it'll be a trio again -- our bari has a bulging disk in her back that's causing her a lot of pain.  

Scotty -- yeah, summer is looming here too.  Thankfully DH put the air conditioner in the bedroom window this morning, I guess he got tired of Dusty and me complaining!!

Zelanie -- hope your leg isn't cranky today!!

Docket -- enjoy Pilates!!

sapf -- I like swimming, but I don't like other swimmers.  Too bad I can't afford my own pool!!  Embrace the neti, and this too shall pass.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

4-5 planned after work.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Scotty - the flag run sounds like fun.  Running and beer are a good combination.  There's a running group I'd like to join, the Gettysburg Beer Runners, who run twice a week and meet afterwards for beer at one of the taverns in town, but G'burg is over an hour away so I've only joined them once.

Z - I think you made the right choice yesterday.  Run on tired legs vs. spend time with husband, MIL and dog - easy choice (as long as you and MIL get along.)  I hope you are able to run today.

HopesMom - have fun at your trio rehearsal tonight.  Balance exercises can be good for strengthening the leg and feet muscles.  I'd have a problem with the catching while on one leg though.

Damaris - have fun at Pilates tonight.  When do you leave for SD?

sapf - I know what you mean about the pollen.  I feel like I'm only getting half as much oxygen as usual.  At least the basement doesn't have as many allergens.  Have fun with your speedwork.

Kristin - have fun with your miles this evening.

AFM:  We have thunderstorms in the area right now.  It actually feels rather nice outside, but the sky is very black.  I'll do 4 or 5 later.  I finally saw a PT yesterday who told me what I had already figured out: my pelvis is screwy and hip flexors incredibly tight.  He said there wasn't too much scar tissue on the hamstrings though but recommended some exercises and gave me a lacrosse ball to massage the area.

Singer who runs a smidge

The Penguins must be all out and about today!!  I had a sales rep come by and take us to lunch, which was nice.  Not much else news-worthy!! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Here's a trivial question:  how many emails are in your inbox?  I'm currently holding out just under 1000.  I think those folks that have empty inboxes are just insane.

on my way to badass

I have been remiss on the B&B board.  Memorial Day weekend was wicked busy.  I might catch up by Friday.

Howdy Penguins!

Racing a 5k Saturday.  I had hoped to PR, but its going to be warm and humid.  I'll just try to have fun.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

5 miles in the rain.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - 22687 emails, of which 2400 unread.  DH and I share a couple of very long term email accounts.  My individual ones all seem to vanish for lack of use when we're on the road for months at a time.  He gets a lot of junk mail and almost never deletes anything.  I delete the obvious junk, but leave the rest for him to read or not.

StoneFence - good luck on your race this weekend.  There's one next week I had thought to do, but between my sore hamstring and the heat, I think I'll pass.

Kristin - sounds like our early afternoon thunderstorm reached you at the wrong time.  Good job getting out and running anyway.