Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Back The Badge 5K Trail Run (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to a slideshow of just the photoshttp://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2043%20Back%20The%20Badge%205K

BEFORE THE START

Back The Badge 5K was my 43rd race of 2016.  Through the nonprofit agency KCLEAAA, this event raises funds to help further fund the Law Enforcement Offices for Kendall County Sheriff's Office, Boerne PD, and Fair Oaks Pd.  This was a small event with about 80 - 90 registered for this inaugural 5K.  Starting and finishing in Boerne City Park, Boerne TX.   From my house near the San Antonio airport it was actually a pretty quick drive as it was mostly highway, so I arrived at the park aroung 6:48 a.m., plenty of time before the 8 a.m. start to wander around and get some photos.

Course set-up, timing and results done by my buds, the good folks at specialty running stores/race management company iRun Texas. I got a photo with them and then with owner and all-around great guy, Mitch.

photo 011_zpsuklneryt.jpg

photo 013_zpsbpeqrvx5.jpg

photo 009_zpses6unqdv.jpg

photo 010_zpsmasyg1zg.jpg

Air Force Jr ROTC Color Guard for the National Anthem - and, by the way, no one sat down for it.

photo 002_zpsojdqimg5.jpg

photo 017_zpsyu9i5v5w.jpg

These kids were out in force for we participants, as course marshals, water table volunteers, etc.  I had a nice chat with their 'leader', the guy on the far right who, like me, is a retired Air Force E-7.

photo 004_zpsjkgolar2.jpg

These folks were there to give pre-and-post race massages.....nice!

photo 006_zpsqpbljxcg.jpg

photo 007_zpskcb6lltf.jpg

A few people getting stretched out before the start

photo 018_zpsdqzyaner.jpg

Fortune 500 company H-E-B (groceries and more) were represented.  They contribute quite a bit in their local communities.

photo 008_zpsmzc154fi.jpg

Other volunteers, participants, etc.

photo 001_zpslgbkxji3.jpg

photo 005_zpsuisluppp.jpg

photo 014_zps5uxjwg2q.jpg

photo 015_zpsrq6eg6eg.jpg

photo 016_zpszlso8ihq.jpg

photo 019_zpsjyl33lpw.jpg

photo 020_zpshmoj5ezw.jpg

photo 021_zpstpgb7owu.jpg

Inspiring.   Nice chat with this guy, who told me for a 5K, it takes him about 39 - 40 minutes....wow!

photo 022_zpsgqrgg9wl.jpg

photo 023_zpswb9gapwe.jpg

I encountered a friend of my good friend, Karen in San Antonio.  Here she is with her 'little brother."    They are wearing the very nice tech tee shirt that participants and volunteers got for this event.

photo 024_zpsqelsvzuf.jpg

photo 025_zps51y84el5.jpg

photo 026_zpsfdc9y24w.jpg

photo 027_zpsj8kc0fy5.jpg

As you can tell, it was a pretty sunny day, the sun was right in the face of these folks.

photo 028_zpswgjynfpi.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo 029_zps78m6v6nc.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started on grass, moved onto gravel-and-dirt road, went out the exit/entrance onto paved road.  From there, down toward the Cibolo Nature Center.   We were supposed to turn left onto more dirt/gravel roads, but the front runners missed this turn and kept going straight for a bit, before they turned around and came back.  As slow as I am, I could see people turning left by the time I got there, so I was okay.

Then it was on trail past the Cibolo Nature Center, then a little more paved road, then onto some natural grass-and-dirt trails - parts of which were somewhat rocky - and a boardwalk surface - kind of like the boardwalk at Lady Bird Johnson Park in San Antonio, for those of you who know that park - which was kind of slick from the morning dews, surrounding marsh water, and with some reeds and stuff on parts of it; I slowed way down on this part so as not to slip.  Then back onto the trails again, grass, packed dirt, rocks...and finally onto the trail that took us back to an asphalt parking lot, then across the street, and back on gravel/dirt parking lot to finish where we had started.

Temp at 8 a.m. start time was near 80, no shade out on the trails, and the trails was tough in spots (rocky in places; slick boardwalk, and so forth).  Probably one of my slowest 5Ks ever at 38:51 (12-something minute miles)...but, dang, I was just happy to have finished without falling down, lol.  My time was good enough for 2nd in my age group (60-64), probably because there were not that many IN my age group, lol.   The guy who was overall finisher did it in 25:07.  I can't imagine running 8-minute miles on those trails!

photo 030_zpsjbbwztm1.jpg

photo 031_zpshk9qo5mx.jpg

photo 032_zps84ssxmja.jpg

photo 033_zpsvjx1nutj.jpg

photo 034_zpsruykgjri.jpg

This was a lot of us on this course, lol...we walked a bit.....

photo 035_zpsmd6ffdtl.jpg

...and then ran a bit...and so it went.

photo 036_zpswvlg1svt.jpg

photo 037_zpsyrzv5xys.jpg

One of the many volunteers out there all alone in their spots, making sure we did not take the wrong trail.  Thanks!

photo 038_zps2mpcko48.jpg

photo 039_zpsb7ov7tic.jpg

photo 040_zpses4rmjro.jpg

The sign behind this kid...we had to pass that sign, come down to a turn-around, and then go back to that sign and turn left onto the trail that FINALLY took us to the finish line. I kept swearing under my breath that this course was long - where's that #$!#!!! finish line? - but no, the course mileage was right on, I was just slow on this course.

photo 041_zpscz6r8r6t.jpg

Finally, the turnround point to go back to the other sign!   Manned by this young volunteer.

photo 042_zpskzzzf6ap.jpg

Heading toward the finish now, and these folks are coming toward me,  going down to the turn-round point on this trail where I had just been

photo 043_zpsalhx7yar.jpg

photo 044_zpsvkk4dxtd.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

I made it!  And got a nice finisher medal for it.  But did not have the medal for long.  I got a photo with it, then gave it to one of the sponsoring police officers and asked him to give the medal to a child of one of their fallen officers.   I did have my Age Group award medal though...which will probably go to some local child after I get back home.

photo 070_zps3ebebfck.jpg

After drinking MUCHO water and sitting in the shade for a bit, I then wandered around taking some post-race photos

Lots of post-race goodies at this event, including a Texas breakfast, courtesy of "Hungry Horse" if I remember correctly, of eggs, biscuits-and-gravy, and sausage, served up by these good folks.   I passed on the gravy which I don't like,  but I love biscuits so I had two...and they were great, as were the eggs.

photo 052_zpsys7ezvli.jpg

photo 053_zps6xo2wmep.jpg

MMMM mmmm good!

photo 054_zpshrbaecs2.jpg

"Happy Finishers", etc.

photo 047_zpsdabkcwly.jpg

photo 064_zpsdvpy296r.jpg

photo 048_zpsjdypyaud.jpg

photo 049_zpspdfu4n6m.jpg

photo 050_zpsh4jwtj1w.jpg

photo 051_zpsuo53qpe8.jpg

photo 056_zps2ph0cmwh.jpg

photo 057_zpszz9kuov9.jpg

photo 058_zps3zcuvsso.jpg

photo 059_zpsexyqpfuk.jpg

photo 061_zps6syoudoo.jpg

photo 062_zpsmseue0ce.jpg

photo 063_zpsbxgodfqm.jpg

photo 065_zpsxegmqvwm.jpg

photo 066_zpsgapp83tn.jpg

photo 067_zpsuzhhwwyf.jpg

photo 068_zpscxlpulle.jpg

Double medals..their finisher medals and their age group medals

photo 069_zpsafxxbwwn.jpg

photo 071_zpsq0ofayne.jpg

EPILOGUE

Great inaugural event!  Really hope this one grows into the hundreds of people!  It was very well organized, very original and unique finisher and award medals; great cause; lots of goodies post-race, not only the breakfast but also stuff from Kiss The Cook, H-E-B, free massages, and more.  Challenging course in places withe the rocks, slick boardwalk, etc.,  but - thinking of  my friend who hates hills- there were absolutely no hills on this one at all.  And these are not really 'technical' trails at all.  You more experienced trail runners would probably FLY on this one...good course for y'all to shoot for a PR.   Think about this one for your next year's race calendar.

MUCH thanks to all the sponsors, volunteers, organizers, law enforcement, etc., all the folks who made this one happen for we participants!  Nap time now...I have another 5K the day after this one!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

That really doesn't look too bad for a trail race, though you were probably too busy in the more difficult places to take photos.  Looks like a really well organized event for an inaugural race.