Beginners and Beyond

Question about running shoes (Read 92 times)

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Well the Adrenalines are a heavier shoe that the Inspires so that is something to consider as well in dealing with an injury.  They are close in drop as well 13mm vs 12mm so that should not be a factor.  I believe the Adrenaline offers more stability control than the Inspire as well

If you were able to put 300 miles on the Inspires then chances are the shoe works fine for what you need.  Not sure i would recommend going back to the heavier Adrenalines but you might want to check out the Ravenna's.  I made the switch from Adrenaline to Ravenna many years ago and now get 600 - 700 miles per pair.

obiebyke

I'm reading this thread with interest. I'm on my third pair of Inspires: first the 2, then the 5, now the 9. Like you, Hilary, I have under 100 miles on my 9s. But as I've ramped up mileage a bit, my knees and shins are becoming a problem. I'll ask my sports medicine doc about shoes next week. The Paradoxes look promising.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

From the Internet.

Getting shoes right can be such a chore. I was fitted for the Inspire when I had my gait analyzed. I have an odd gait. I over-pronate with my right foot and land neutral with my left. My right leg is turned inward, so my right foot is a bit pigeon-toed. All that said, the folks at the LRS wanted to err on the side of support starting out. I really liked the fit and feel of the Inspires, but after about 4 miles, my left IT band gets very pissy. It was too much support. So, I tried PureCadences and those worked really well. Now I have a pretty good feel for how my body works and know what kind of shoe will or won't work. I can use a shoe with a touch of support and it won't bother my left side while keeping my right side happy or I can get neutral shoes with flat soles and also do well. It did take some time to figure that out, so hang in there and find a place with a good return policy! Find what works with your body and what feels right for you.

I like rotating shoes. I like using lighter shoes for speedy days and having a couple of different ones to choose from otherwise.

I don't mean to hijack but this is my EXACT problem! Mirrored though - I overpronate a bit on the left and my left foot tends to turn in slightly, neutral on the right. I liked the Inspires at first but they give me posterior shin splint-type pain in the neutral right leg if I wear them for any length of time (even just walking). Running mostly in Asics DS Trainers right now and they're OK but I'm not sure that I *love* them, and I'm alternating with my nearly-worn-out Elixirs for short runs or treadmill runs and Mizuno Wave Enigmas for super short runs. Curious as to which neutral shoes worked for you?

HobbitLegs

elevenses

I don't mean to hijack but this is my EXACT problem! Mirrored though - I overpronate a bit on the left and my left foot tends to turn in slightly, neutral on the right. I liked the Inspires at first but they give me posterior shin splint-type pain in the neutral right leg if I wear them for any length of time (even just walking). Running mostly in Asics DS Trainers right now and they're OK but I'm not sure that I *love* them, and I'm alternating with my nearly-worn-out Elixirs for short runs or treadmill runs and Mizuno Wave Enigmas for super short runs. Curious as to which neutral shoes worked for you?

I can run in Sayonaras and Kinvaras. I feel a little beat up on longer runs with them, but I like them for shorter runs (6 miles or less) and for speed work. I also have a pair of Ghost 5's and like them as a cushioned neutral shoe. They feel pretty heavy compared to my other shoes, but that's good when I need to keep the pace easy. My foot that pronates doesn't roll too much in them. When the Ghosts wear out, I'll probably look for a lighter workhorse shoe. My absolute favorite shoes have been the original PureCadences, they're not posted like a normal support shoe but just have the inside filled in and have a band that hold the foot in place.