Beginners and Beyond

Cinco de Mayo Tuesday Penguins (Read 19 times)

Amazonian Princess

Hola, Penguins!

Had to share my excitement and I think you guys might understand: I just faxed in my membership application for "Red Power Divas" training group with the ambitious plan of completing the SJ RnR Half in September and the Fresno 2Cities Half in November 

It'll be good to run more often and hopefully fun to be in a group. I've only been running twice a week lately, but still working with the trainer and riding my bike. Mr. Bacon tweaked a muscle in his back recently, so for date night last week I booked a couples massage. It was so nice, we bought a package for monthly massages for the next six months, whoo-hoo!

Session with the trainer tonight then maybe dinner from Chipotle to celebrate the holidays

I can. I will. I am. 

Brilliant

That's great, Baconista!  Groups can be fun and have great accountability!  I ran the Clovis half of the 2 Cities a couple of years ago - if you have a choice, the Clovis part is a little nicer/more scenic.  I think they are both pretty flat. (it is Fresno, after all!)

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good evening, everyone.  Just finished 3.3 miles.

Running for TJ because he can't.

GinnyinPA

Bacon - love the idea of monthly massages.   Also running with a group that is preparing for the same race can be good.  You'll be doing the same miles and tapering at the same time, then at the race you'll have others that you know that can spur you on to a greater effort.  How big a group is it likely to be?

Robert - good job on the 3.3

Brilliant - nice that you also have a club to run with.  How early do they run?  I'm not a morning person, so I don't do any of the local group runs.  I wish there was a group of afternoon runners I could join.

Lauren - speedy workout.

sapf - I hope the allergies aren't too bad.

Mitch - but can you run in them?

I ended up doing a very hot and humid 5.  I am not ready for summer temperatures.

Hi Pens,

'member me? Sorry I've been MIA lately. Work has me buried after being away 3 days last week and now the end of the school year is breathing down my neck. I can see long days ahead until the end of June when I wrap up State/Federal reporting for the school district. Fun stuff.

Meanwhile, I haven't been able to run since my river walk run in Wichita last Thursday. The day before, I yanked something in my groin. So what did I do on Thursday? Run on it. UGH!! Not really sure what I did, but about 4 miles in on Wednesday, I started to hurt, so I stopped, stretched, and then kept going. My groin muscles don't hurt at all, but whatever attaches to the pelvic/pubic bones inside, is really barking - loudly. I was a limping fool for a couple days and still hobbling when I stand up to walk. After walking a bit, it eases up, but is persistent.

Still perplexed as to what I did to generate the injury. My race the weekend before felt great with just mild, deliciously sore quads. The race was predominantly downhill, which may have been a contributing factor (?). A variety of sources call it an "over-use injury".  But I was just lolly-gagging along like I always do on my easy runs.

So until I stop hurting, I'm not running.  I think tomorrow I will try some easy stretches and will hopefully be able to start some mild strengthening exercises soon. I've been researching groin pulls online and have found resources that I think will help me to recover. Any other suggestions? I missed the icing window since I was out of town and engrossed in my conference.

Missed you guys. Been reading on the past posts to catch up.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

GinnyinPA

Kathleen - if it doesn't get better in a week, get to an orthopedist for evaluation for a pelvic stress fracture.  It won't show on an x-ray until it starts healing, but he/she should know the difference between muscle and bone injury. What you describe sounds a lot like my sfx.  Like you, I felt it on a short run, but it got worse instead of better.  I think I had actually gotten it the week or two before (two long hard runs) but the symptoms didn't appear until later.  When I was on my back or side, I could move the leg without pain.  When I was weight bearing, it hurt, a lot.  One of the tests is to hop on that leg.  If you can't do it, or if the thought makes you cringe, you might have a sfx. If it is a sfx, you need to stop all weight bearing activity asap.  No walking, running, standing (if possible).