Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

LRB

Starting Day 2 today. I did a leg routine, all body weight.

I read like a mofo when I had ITBS, until I was satisfied I had a clue of what the root cause was.  For me, I cannot read enough about a particular injury when I am down.  It helps in that if you do end up seeing a professional, you can rule out half the things they want you to try because you have done them already.

Check these out if you are so inclined:

(running injuries)  (overpronation)  (weak hips)

Hip Redux

HopesMom - that sounds incredibly frustrating.  I agree, an MRI for a torn meniscus might be what I would push for!

bluerun

Super B****

Here's a mysterious knee ailment: possibly unrelated to the ITBS, possibly not.  But the past couple of times I've run outside (that is, not on the AlterG), my knee has felt bruised afterward.  Kind of like someone gave me a few good whacks with a hammer.  It's not on the side, where it hurts from the ITBS -- it feels like the kneecap.  It goes away after a few hours, but this is very weird and I've never heard of it before, so if anyone has any idea what on earth that's about, please do enlighten me!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

Here's a mysterious knee ailment: possibly unrelated to the ITBS, possibly not.  But the past couple of times I've run outside (that is, not on the AlterG), my knee has felt bruised afterward.  Kind of like someone gave me a few good whacks with a hammer.  It's not on the side, where it hurts from the ITBS -- it feels like the kneecap.  It goes away after a few hours, but this is very weird and I've never heard of it before, so if anyone has any idea what on earth that's about, please do enlighten me!

I get something similar every now and again in the knee that I had the ITB issue, but it has never lasted long.  It's almost like a spasm that is here one minute, but gone the next...and good riddance!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

HopesMom - that sounds incredibly frustrating.  I agree, an MRI for a torn meniscus might be what I would push for!

+1  Definitely.

As for ITBS issues, contact onemile.  She had a horrific case that was solved by Graston and ART after rest and strengthening didn't help.

Less than a week until I meet with the surgeon.  If anyone remembers CrisRuns from the RWOL days, I was able to contact her after some sleuthing around.  She had my surgery done about 15 months ago and doesn't think that she's a success story, as she still can't run.  That didn't instill a lot of confidence in my mind.  Undecided

Running is dumb.

Singer who runs a smidge

Both PCP and orthopedist were definite that it's not a torn meniscus -- there was no pain at all with the flexes they do to check for that, even when the pain was quite intense just walking.  I've had an x-ray, which showed "possible arthritic changes", but considering how well my pain responds to strong anti-inflammatories, the consensus is that it's inflammation.  Also, since the pain merrily switched knees, I really don't think it's a structural issue.

The Book also says that runner's knee arises from knee-driven running instead of glute-driven running.  I ran for four years concentrating mainly on lifting my heels, and had no issues.  Then I read somewhere that I should focus on lifting my knees, and BAM, I was hurt within a few months.

I still think I can run again, it's just that everything has been offline for so long, my quads have weakened, hip strength is shot, etc.  I need to figure out how to get the inflammation calmed down, get the strength training rolling, and then I think I can start over (again) if I focus on my heels instead of my knees.  I basically took the wrong advice and screwed myself.

But thanks for the sympathy, y'all!!  It's nice to have folks who understand.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

LRB = Thanks, I'm pretty confident I don't overpronate. In fact I have ran in neutrals ever since I started and I happened to buy some reebok that were stability shoes and after about 50 miles I started having ITB issues.

I'm hoping it's weak hips, but if I'm still not better by the end of this month then I will probably bite the bullet and see a doc. There is a Chiro that is down the road that family members swear by and he does sports related injury. The only problem is we have a 350 deductable and it hasn't been met, that's something I can't really afford right now.

I read like a mofo when I had ITBS, until I was satisfied I had a clue of what the root cause was.  For me, I cannot read enough about a particular injury when I am down.  It helps in that if you do end up seeing a professional, you can rule out half the things they want you to try because you have done them already.

Check these out if you are so inclined:

(running injuries)  (overpronation)  (weak hips)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Hip Redux

Less than a week until I meet with the surgeon.  If anyone remembers CrisRuns from the RWOL days, I was able to contact her after some sleuthing around.  She had my surgery done about 15 months ago and doesn't think that she's a success story, as she still can't run.  That didn't instill a lot of confidence in my mind.  Undecided

Ughhhh.  Did something go wrong?  I assume that's not an expected outcome?

I pushed my ortho appt to the first week of December.  I have too much going on but I'm going to have to decide if I want to go the MRI route or just deal with it.

Blue - No friggin idea.   Any swelling?

Oh, and I failed the tilt table test yesterday.    So, yay?

Pinktastic

Ughhhh.  Did something go wrong?  I assume that's not an expected outcome?

I pushed my ortho appt to the first week of December.  I have too much going on but I'm going to have to decide if I want to go the MRI route or just deal with it.

Blue - No friggin idea.   Any swelling?

Oh, and I failed the tilt table test yesterday.    So, yay?

What do they do when you fail the tilt table test?    Meds?   Therapy?   Heart Transplant?

Do they know what's causing you to fail?

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Hip Redux

The tilt table test is supposed to show changes in BP, usually a drop, which then explains the fainting or near fainting spells.  Of course, my BP spiked to like 150/90 with a heart rate of 145+ beats per minute when I got dizzy.   The doctor didn't really have an explanation lol

There doesn't appear to be anything structurally wrong with the heart, but more the controls for it aren't right - something electrical, neurological, no idea.

How's your heart stuff going, Pink?

LRB

LRB = Thanks, I'm pretty confident I don't overpronate. In fact I have ran in neutrals ever since I started and I happened to buy some reebok that were stability shoes and after about 50 miles I started having ITB

Yeah I was just throwing it all out there.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

The tilt table test is supposed to show changes in BP, usually a drop, which then explains the fainting or near fainting spells.  Of course, my BP spiked to like 150/90 with a heart rate of 145+ beats per minute when I got dizzy.   The doctor didn't really have an explanation lol

There doesn't appear to be anything structurally wrong with the heart, but more the controls for it aren't right - something electrical, neurological, no idea.

Doc doesn't have explanation....NICE!!   And I got the solution for your controls issue........new motherboard!  Yep.  They're cheap at Fry's Electronics.  You can get a nice motherboard/CPU combo too.  Maybe upgrade your ram & you'll be good to go.

ON THE KNEE FRONT -----------

My Xray came back "normal".  Ok, well I guess that means I don't get an MRI.  Still nothing back on the bloodwork but they said sometimes the arthritic panel takes a little longer.  (I suddenly got arthritis overnight?)  Roll eyes  I'm don't know what to think.

I'd say the knee is getting "microscopically" better by the day but sometimes I'm not sure.  I know they say lower leg issues (especially knee where blood supply is poor) can take a while but I'm actually seeing my shrink tonight who is an MD.  I don't know what he'll offer but I figure it's a free 2nd opinion if there's one to be had.

I know the past is the past, but I really wish I could just go back to the night before this happened.  I swear, I'd stop running for a week & only run 10 miles per week after that. Sad

Randy

bluerun

Super B****

LRB -- it's not a spasm, not really.  It just feels bruised.  But I can't see anything there!!

Mandy -- stop seeking out horror stories!!  That's worse than asking Dr. Google for a diagnosis.  Instead of hearing that you're going to die, you find out that you're already dead.  Besides, I find that people who are not happy with their results are more likely to complain about them than the satisfied people are to praise them.

Oski -- well, good to know that at least the so-called experts are as confused as you are?!  I just hate it when things like this happen and there's no REASON for it!!  And no, I don't think there's any swelling, not visibly anyway.  Though having spent so much time looking at mine lately, I've come to the conclusion that knees in general are really pretty damn ugly.

redrum -- wait, what?  If your X-ray came back normal but you're still having pain... isn't they why you would get an MRI?!  My insurance company won't approve an MRI unless it's preceded by a normal X-ray.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Blue - Hopefully that's the case.  Maybe I assumed wrong.  I know my PCP said that it's up to the orthopedic surgeon to order the MRI so hopefully that's the next step.  I dunno what to think.  I am beyond miserable.  Don't want surgery.  Don't want to even get out of bed tomorrow. I want to go into a coma for about negative one month to a time when everything was fine. Undecided

I just got back from my shrink. (M.D.)  I hadn't seen the guy in a year & only made the appt to get a new scrip as my Lexapro was running low except now I'm not feeling good at all.  To top that off he wants me to stop running long-term too.  Swimming, cycling, etc. are all fine but he doesn't like the idea of running, especially after an injury like this. (maybe he'll buy me a swimming pool?)  He kept giving me illustrations of what is happening to my knees now & what will happen going forward.

Where's the "jumping off a bridge" emoticon? Disapprove

Randy

Hip Redux

Damn, red.

My x-rays showed some cartilage changes and that I also have patella alta (which also predisposes me to arthritis) and the ortho still never said to not run.  Now I'm wondering if he just wants in on my knee replacement surgery down the road.  Wink