Beginners and Beyond

Blow away 5k RR (Read 82 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good job, JBJ. It's too bad about the ITB. When that thing clears up you will see a big difference.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

You're old though LTH.  Just kidding.  I haven't been brave enough to go less than 10 minutes yet.  I should try it.  Experiment of one and all that.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Dad on the run.

Thanks everyone for all the replies and suggestions. I'm really hoping a few weeks off with some self rehab will get me back out on the road.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Ric-G

you did great...hope the self-rehab gets you there quicker...take care and congrats.

marathon pr - 3:16

Love the Half

You're old though LTH.  Just kidding.  I haven't been brave enough to go less than 10 minutes yet.  I should try it.  Experiment of one and all that.

Awood, it's not that I've necessarily done it intentionally.  We've all been to those 8:00 races that start at 8:05 or 8:10.  I have found that if I wait around longer than 10 minutes, I'll be seriously stiff at the gun.  I wait 5 minutes.  If I don't hear any pre-race announcements at that point, I'll start doing an easy stride every minute or two just to stay loose.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

delicate flower

Nice job, JBJ.  Cool that you got an award.  Hey, all you can do is show up and race.  If your time warrants an AG award, enjoy it.

So what movie did you see Friday night?

ETA:  +1 to the warm up.  I used to not warm up before a race.  When it finally occurred to me (duh) that the first mile of any training run is usually my slowest mile, maybe I ought to get that first mile out of the way before the start of a race.  It makes a huge difference to me.

<3

Dad on the run.

Thor : The Dark World

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Awood, it's not that I've necessarily done it intentionally.  We've all been to those 8:00 races that start at 8:05 or 8:10.  I have found that if I wait around longer than 10 minutes, I'll be seriously stiff at the gun.  I wait 5 minutes.  If I don't hear any pre-race announcements at that point, I'll start doing an easy stride every minute or two just to stay loose.

That's a great point.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

delicate flower

Thor : The Dark World

Good flick.  Saw it Saturday with Wife and the Oskis.

<3

Dad on the run.

Agreed. Planning to see Catching Fire this weekend.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

LRB

I haven't been brave enough to go less than 10 minutes yet.  I should try it.  Experiment of one and all that.

I like to finish my warmup and walk right to the chute, hoping things get to crack a lackin' shortly thereafter.  While 15 minutes may pass from the time I stop running until the time I start racing, there is usually five minutes or more of walking involved, so I am not just standing around that whole time.  If I were, I would be toast, a lesson I learned the hard way last year.  But yeah, if it works for you and you are comfortable with how you do things, by all means, roll with it.

As my times have dropped over the last three years, I found that I no longer do the things the slower me did, I do the things the faster guys are doing.  That does not necessarily make me faster, but it is a start.

happylily

Congrats on the AG, Jimmy! Great pics!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010