Beginners and Beyond

IMTPT (Read 1309 times)

Docket_Rocket

Let's blame it on Hope!

hi.  Work has been busy.  I had dinner with Marjorie last night.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

It's like walking up to a circle of the cool kids in high school, and then they all drift off in other directions.  At least y'all didn't give me a wedgie or stuff me in a locker first!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Don't give us any ideas.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Wandering Wally

Howdy all.  Just chillin' between work and running.  Finished my most time consuming tax return of the entire season today.  Whew!  Tomorrow I can start to work on the stuff that backed up while I was getting that long one done.

Saw something up above about IRA contributions and 401(k) in the same year:  Yes, in general you can do that.  However, like Damaris said phaseouts kick in if your income gets high enough.  There's a retirement savings credit for contributing to retirement plans, but that phases out really quick.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Sup!

I could be heading home from work right now but the OT is available and I need money so cha-ching!!!

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.

Go, Doug.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Morning all.

Well DD had her first Taekwondo tournament in about 9 months yesterday.  She did well but she had a very tough ring so placed mid-level in the group.  She is a 2nd degree black belt and her ring was 12 - 14 YO girls, 2nd and 3rd degree BB.

In the running department, I believe I am a bit on the el loco side at the moment.  Actually I don't believe but rather am convinced that i am a bit el loco.  Looks like this year will be an ultra training year aimed at a solo ultra in October.  Still planning details about this event and it will be a fat ass event so there is no sign up to deal with should things not go to plan for the summer.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I ran 4 miles yesterday.

Doug, congrats to DD.  Is work interfering with your running or is it the commute?  An ultra sounds great.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Master closet and master bathroom painted. Way too much cutting in.  Bedroom is next. Will be a nice change not spending hours cutting in so much!

With all the turns there is like 14 different walls and two windows and having to go around the mirror  just in the bathroom. Some are short but still all the edging.

Marjorie

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Morning!  I ran 4 miles yesterday.

Doug, congrats to DD.  Is work interfering with your running or is it the commute?  An ultra sounds great.

Well the issue other than the weather has turned me into a slackerpotomous is work and commute.  75 minute comute in the morning.  Work from 7:30 - 5:15, then reverse the commute.  On a good traffic evening I am getting home at 6:40 - 6:45 which is enough time to shut the engine off and load up DD  to head to Taekwondo which lasts until 8PM then I am finally home for the night by 8:15.  If I don't get my run in while DD is doing TKD then I almost don't want to run once finally home.

We have implemented some new steps that should help me with getting my run in while DD is doing TKD but even at that I have about a 6 - 7 mile window and if I want to go farther then I have to break up the run into 2 segments by finishing up once home.  Plus this ass-biting cold weather, snow, and ice has not helped any.

At least that will be the routine for a while until DW gets a different job.  Right now she works evenings so I am a single parent most evenings.

As to the ultra, things are shaping up in the plan.  The route is roughed out and the date is kinda picked. Now I just need to finalize a training strategy and start implementing it this week.  as long as I get off my ass and train I will have roughly 32 weeks to get ready for it.

Docket_Rocket

Yo!  I have 4-5 miles tonight.

Doug, do what you can and when things calm down, add more miles.  Hope things calm down soon.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Here is the rough plan if I decide to attack it.

Home to first stop - 7 miles
                          Next town - 13 miles, 20 miles total distance
                          Next town - 15 miles, 35 miles total
                          Next town - 10 miles, 45 miles total
                          Next town - 8 miles, 53 miles total
                          Next town - 13 miles, 66 miles total
                          Final destination - 4 miles, 70 miles in total

A little concerned with being able to carry 13 - 15 miles as my CamelBak has a 2L bladder. I also have a 20 oz waist bottle I can use as well. I can buy food at the towns and then rely on gels and stuff like that in between. Storage pockets are limited between the 2 systems as well. My wife is going to be my mobile pit crew so I will just need to arrange a rally point as needed for resupply if I come up short on a town.

This is a bit longer than originally foreseen but that is partly because of the route and also by design. Mom would have been 70 this year so this run has kinda turned in to a run to honor her memory.

70 miles in memory of 70 years

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like a great ultra adventure!

We might travel for a race in June.  I have decided (if all goes well) to do the marathon.  We'll see.  I have 14 weeks and shit ton of miles to try.  I figured it won't be as bad as those going from couch to marathon quickly. RIGHT?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Venom, how are you liking your new wheels?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Venom, how are you liking your new wheels?

LOVING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's decent int he snow but our 4WD Jeep Commander is better.  The Vulcan storm swung through today and dumped a lot of white crap on us so I took the Jeep to work.  Roads will be cleaned up by the time DW has to go out so she should be fine with it.

Really like the Ipod interface with the radio in it.  It has a USB plug so i can connect my Ipod and then control it with the stereo which is really nice.  We have a 30GB Ipod at home that we have not used much so I am gonna dump all our music on it and put it in the car then I will have 10+ GB of music to listen to.