Beginners and Beyond

Suffering Sassafras Sundailies (Read 49 times)

LRB

Yes, you discussed it, but usually when it's too good to be true, it is too good to be true. Who the hell gives away free shoes? Running a negative split marathon, if THAT is the objective, seems easy enough. So I didn't pay attention to it.

But as HCK said, it might be a US only thing.

Yeah, it's so easy that it's rarely done, on any level. Hence, the offer.

I believe New Balance is the sponsor of the contest.

Docket_Rocket

Andrea, I can't see the picture here, but I saw it in FB.  Lovely!

We never had a chance to see Dr. Strange because of my broken screen, but we will next weekend!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats Bluerun!

bluerun

Super B****

So Bluerun aside, is there something going on with the New York weather today?  A bunch of people I know are running and it is frikkin TANKVILLE.  

Some people might have thought it was a little warm for ideal marathon temperatures.  I, however, found it absolutely perfect.  Could have done without some of that wind, but beggars can't be choosers!

It's an entire page of spits! No other marathon does it like New York, it's awesome. It won't even fit into a single screen shot.

I had no idea they did that.  I needed two screens for it!!  Which might or might not end up in the RR that will end up taking so long to read, you could run a marathon in that time...

That's how you do it! Way to go Bluerun!

Huuuge congrats to bluerun!

Congrates Bluerun from bluesky

Wow!  Way to kill it Bluerun!

RIP, Dave. It's been nice knowing you.

Congrats Bluerun!

Thanks!!

Bluerun DESTROYED it. I dare her to find something to complain about with this one.

Oh, I can.  But give me a couple of days to bask in everything that DIDN'T blow up first!

No kidding. 40K and 25 miles were 67 seconds apart. You must be scared not to trip over all of them things.

They weren't all those mats  -- most of them were the kind that you pass through, not over.

It's New York; she probably had to take a subway to gear check!

I didn't DO gear check -- I did the post-race poncho option and went to get my crap at my team's post-race reunion, where I proceeded to stay for several hours since the thought of subway stairs made me want to cry.  And eat a lot of tortilla chips, since I thought I was being brilliant by freezing my bottle of chocolate coconut water so that when I mixed it with my protein powder, it would mask the flavor, except the damn thing was STILL frozen solid and I had to mix the powder with water instead, but it was so vile that I could not bring myself to drink it.  The end!

blue is on basically every running site in the world, so my guess is yes. lol

Apparently, I joined Strava several years ago and didn't know about it until I got an email informing me that one of my friends joined.  Weird.  But hey, I get free shoes!  And it would not be a lie to say that I owe my negative split largely to that, because I COULD have gotten my BQ without it, but I WANTED THOSE SHOES DAMMIT.  (I think you can only use US races, though.  Which is why it didn't matter that Dave missed a negative split by a few seconds.)

Oddly enough, I am really really tired and I need to go soak myself in a tub of hot water so that I can have a great time finding all the spots I missed with my BodyGlide, but I need to leave this here, because even though I look like a psycho it describes everything SO PERFECTLY.  My teammates are awesome.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

That's a great shot blue.

Cyberic

Awesome pic!

Quoting for emphasis. Great pic, and outstanding marathon performance. BQ-5 with a negative split is all a person could ever ask for.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Love that pic, Blue!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

Great pic bluerun!

Dare I say it?  I was right(as were a lot of B&Bers).  You absolutely killed it.  Congrats!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Zelanie

Cy, you are letting logic get in the way of reality again.  It seems easy enough, but very few people actually negative split a marathon.  And yes, you could sign up and walk the first half or something like that, but who would do that after paying to run a USATF marathon?  Not to mention the pride factor.

I ran my 16.  Went pretty well actually.  I just ignore that part of the Hansons book that talks about running it at pace though.  I just run.  Since I only had Strava go back a month when I joined, it's really proud of my mew HM PR that I just ran.  Actually, my Garmin is proud of my HM PR too. :P  Sometimes there's a benefit to not going back too far in ancient history with these things.

Bluerun, I am so happy for you that you had such a fantastic race!  Enjoy the shoes!

The rest of you should look me up on Strava.  My hometown friends and internet friends could collide!

MTA: LRB, one thing about Hansons training is that you're running similar workouts for similar purposes every week.  So it is more of an apples to apples comparison.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Andrea, I can't see the picture here, but I saw it in FB.  Lovely!

We never had a chance to see Dr. Strange because of my broken screen, but we will next weekend!

Thanks D Smile

Dr. Strange doesn't do it for me, we will see it as a rental. I really wanted to see Boo! A Madea Halloween , but DH would rather rent it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

No more marathons

I actually loved Inception (not many people get it) and the first Matrix had so much potential...

Anyway, thank you. Smile

Oh, I've seen Inception at least three times - once on the big screen and twice streaming at home.  So yeah, I liked it.  But didn't want Dr Strange to just be a wanna be.  It wasn't.  One of the better movies so far this fall.  Not as good as deadpool, but right up there.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

(The only 2 RA people I am connected to there, because they found me.)

Make it 3. Thanks Zel....

Dave

Zelanie

Cyberic

Cy, you are letting logic get in the way of reality again.  It seems easy enough, but very few people actually negative split a marathon.  And yes, you could sign up and walk the first half or something like that, but who would do that after paying to run a USATF marathon?  Not to mention the pride factor.

If running a negative split was the objective, of course I could. And I would not walk the first half. I would run it slower than I'm supposed to, and negative split. I'm not saying it's nothing, but I am positive I can do it if that is the objective.

Would I do it? I think I would go for it some. Run the first half maybe 1-2 minutes slower than usual, and have a good chance at negative split, and a good chance at my goal time.

Like you said I would not scrap 4 months of training + entry fee for a pair of shoes, but what if I did not train for 4 months? Then, maybe I would go all in for the negative split and have a "free" marathon, or free shoes, depends how you look at it.

Logic is what drives my decision process, Zel.

I agree about the Hansons workouts: easy to compare.