Beginners and Beyond

gdi. (Read 60 times)

Cyberic

Although personally I'd skip the 10k altogether if the marathon is your goal.

I do like you say, onemile. I don't race tune-up races, and follow a pretty tight training schedule, but sometimes I wonder if I should race a bit...

LRB

Racing while training is an individual thing. I actually enjoy it and will adjust my training to fit a race in whenever the need suits me. It's usually for a half or a 10k, but a 5k or mile can get some too!

I have raced the day before a long run (many times actually) and while not totally ideal, there are worse things. But again, these types of things are generally based on preference.

onemile

I do like you say, onemile. I don't race tune-up races, and follow a pretty tight training schedule, but sometimes I wonder if I should race a bit...

I actually do do race tune up races though.  That is, a half marathon 4-6 weeks out to gauge my fitness and use to help determine my marathon goal.

I would have a really tough time running 21 miles the day after a 10k race.  And I would likely end up cutting the LR short.  Or it would end up being super slow and at recovery pace.  And this last cycle, most of my long runs had (tough) quality portions. I needed an easy day before them.  But some people like LRB might not have a problem with that.

delicate flower

I would have a really tough time running 21 miles the day after a 10k race. 

The closest I have come is 18 miles the day after a 5K.  I just modified my expectations for the LR and focused on getting the time on my feet rather than worrying about pace.

I am having fun with my training now and feel fortunate to have the 10K series.  It's certainly helping to keep the winter training interesting.

<3

So you are going to race a 10k on Saturday and then run 21 miles on Sun? That sounds like fun.  

Do you feel like you need a cutback now?  If not, I think switching the weeks might be best. Although personally I'd skip the 10k altogether if the marathon is your goal.

Yeah that's the big one - 21 after a 10k - NFW. The 18 after my last 10k was brutal.

So either flip the weeks, or maybe just flip the Sunday run - 15 vs 21.

Of course skipping the race is the smarter call.

Dave

LRB

I actually do do race tune up races though.  That is, a half marathon 4-6 weeks out to gauge my fitness and use to help determine my marathon goal.

I would have a really tough time running 21 miles the day after a 10k race.  And I would likely end up cutting the LR short.  Or it would end up being super slow and at recovery pace.  And this last cycle, most of my long runs had (tough) quality portions. I needed an easy day before them.  But some people like LRB might not have a problem with that.

And you said hell to the no each time I have done it in the past so you are consistent!

But to be clear, I only do that when there is no quality scheduled for the long run, and early in the cycle when you still have the energy to pull it off.