Beginners and Beyond

Big Red and Barbacoa 5K Report and Photos (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:   http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2034%20Big%20Red%20and%20Barbacoa%205K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well;  sorry about that – I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.

BEFORE MY START

My 34th race of 2017 was the Big Red and Barbacoa 5K held on May 21 at Comanche Park in San Antonio.   This race benefits SA Eagles Athletics Club, a nonprofit organization designed to expose youth to the sport of track & field and running in general.  Since 1937, the drink Big Red has been a Texas brand.  There is also an annual Big Red and Baracoa festival, bringing the community together to celebrate traditions, Big Red, and barbacoa, a form of cooking meat that originated in the Caribbean with the Taíno people, from which the term “barbecue” derives.  Start time of 8 a.m.  I arrived at the park around 7:15 a.m. and got a few pre-start photos.

With my friend, Bernadette, who runs even more races than I do in a year - and she places in just about all of hers.

photo 013_zpshmejc1do.jpg

photo 014_zpssgblberw.jpg

Our MC, Mark Purnell, doing his usual great job

photo 015_zpsvmp3smrc.jpg

With friend Ceci - she usually is an RD for the iaapweb races, but today she got to run.  Very speedily too, she placed in her age group.

photo 010_zpsgaukz1rb.jpg

Her 'beau', Roge, also got to run today and he too placed.

photo 011_zpsvqeugfd9.jpg

Race Day registration volunteers

photo 008_zpsra5oyypt.jpg

photo 009_zpsobdoyhxh.jpg

These volunteers were busy getting all the sausages ready for the post-race activities

photo 012_zpss36bkqxj.jpg

AND SOME OF THE OTHERS...

photo 001_zpsbx9wllbd.jpg

photo 016_zpscrfl525x.jpg

photo 017_zps7wzi1rls.jpg

photo 002_zpsf9zk9gkm.jpg

photo 003_zpsv6jv006g.jpg

photo 004_zpslemgbawh.jpg

photo 005_zpsmw4zefk4.jpg

photo 006_zpslj6wnprp.jpg

photo 018_zpsf91s5fw5.jpg

photo 019_zpsbucpmang.jpg

photo 021_zpsnwl5raq2.jpg

People behind me in the start area

photo 022_zpslxy3dlzy.jpg

Old Glory flying proud as the National Anthem is sung

photo 023_zpsz2gqdgl9.jpg

6 seconds to start time...

photo 020_zpsw6iei7at.jpg

...and we are off....

ON THE COURSE

A mix of cement and asphalt paved trails in the park, along with a short part of one of the asphalt park roads near the start and finish.   An out-and-back course that was very well thought out and, in my opinion, a much better 5K route than the one normally used at this park.  Our local weather folks were still predicting possible rain in the area, so we had lots of cloud cover and it was a bit humid, but not as humid as was the race I had done the day before. There was also a bit more of a breeze blowing on this morning, which was helpful. 

photo 024_zps9tttf7vn.jpg

photo 025_zpsh7pevmtp.jpg

photo 026_zpsi35ar36b.jpg

My friend, Terry (pink shirt) and I were pretty much near each other for the whole course.

photo 027_zpsuqvsrp59.jpg

photo 028_zpsalymokxr.jpg

photo 029_zpsrecoizge.jpg

photo 030_zpsmzh0sc9f.jpg

photo 031_zpsbz0j7fdn.jpg

Got a photo of this guy heading back.  I think he was the overall winner in 18-something.

photo 032_zpsmimucgxu.jpg

Me still going to the turn-around point and Bernadette already heading to the finish

photo 033_zpsjdantbdb.jpg

I have made the turn-around and am now heading back.  I could just see Terry's pink shirt way up ahead of me.  I figured I would not catch her today, she had her mojo going on.

photo 034_zpsaocxue6c.jpg

photo 035_zpsrvpzsrbp.jpg

photo 036_zpslyqzxton.jpg

photo 037_zpsnn9tqul2.jpg

photo 038_zpsp9zam7te.jpg

photo 039_zpsaqmrrcyf.jpg

photo 040_zpsuvm6cktj.jpg

I surprised myself and found my own mojo for the last 1.2 miles.  I did catch up to my friend, Terry, got to the finish line, and then got a photo of her coming in

photo 041_zpsmkf3s924.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Nice touch at the finish, chilled small hand-towels given to everyone, felt very refreshing. Put that on the back of my neck, got some water, and wandered around getting some photos.

Three happy finishers.  My friend Ed, who is in my age group, placed 1st in our age group and I placed 2nd. Terry placed in hers too.

photo 042_zpsxjtwiv8r.jpg

photo 043_zpsx6pmmtqy.jpg

photo 044_zps1khedzdd.jpg

photo 045_zpsjmrosqkv.jpg

photo 046_zpsxur4ac7x.jpg

photo 047_zpsezb0wkts.jpg

Team Iaap - these are some speedy folks, so I think iaap in their case means 'it's an amazing pace"   Tongue

photo 049_zps7voekfvy.jpg

photo 050_zpscferghl5.jpg

Right after I finished, I felt exactly how this young lady on the right did, lol.

photo 051_zps2qnj8oig.jpg

photo 052_zpsfuxkxefl.jpg

This is one speedy little dog....I saw them heading for the finish way before I even got to the half-way point. The guy in the red shirt was our music man and also did the awards ceremony.

photo 053_zpshjuwa8vt.jpg

Bernadette enjoying one of the post-race treats available for us.  Interesting she picked a popsicle color that matched her shirt.

photo 055_zpsqtggwpaa.jpg

photo 057_zpsttvjcg5k.jpg

photo 056_zps5yllqybb.jpg

photo 058_zps2gm0ofge.jpg

A nice, cool pavilion to relax under after the race

photo 054_zpsmkfcrfzn.jpg

photo 059_zpsokr5iak5.jpg

photo 060_zpso2wh0ruu.jpg

photo 063_zpspoidnevc.jpg

The three top in my age group, 60 - 69

photo 064_zpshouehpxj.jpg

Top overall male and female masters

photo 065_zpsaccfm0rf.jpg

Team Iaap had the largest team at the race

photo 067_zpsipzzg5s9.jpg

My friend, Minie, place in her age group.  One of those speedy iaap people, lol.  The awards were these license plates.  No hiding your age group, lol, if you display these.

photo 062_zps2rhkzlrn.jpg

Thank you volunteers!  These were some of the folks doing all the work to get everything ready for we participants for before and after the race.

photo 071_zps7g3vq2nj.jpg

One of the official photographers and then me with the two official photographers.  I am sure their photos will look much better than mine.

photo 061_zpszdigzmux.jpg

photo 069_zpsztcdydlw.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a very nicely done event. I did the inaugural one last year and came back for seconds this year.  I think this year’s had a few less participants than last year, probably because this was the same weekend as Beach to Bay Relay Marathon in Corpus Christi, which is a huge event for Texas and very popular, so a lot of our local runners were most likely down there for the weekend.  Even so, a very nice turn-out, really good course, fairly decent weather for late May in San Antonio, and nice post-race goodies that included Big Red and Kiolbassa sausages. Definitely would do this one again and would recommend it to my fellow runners.

Mucho thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for we participants, including iaapweb for course set-up, timing, and results, the two photographers out there getting photos and video, Big Red company, kiolbassa, and all the other sponsors, and all the volunteers, vendors, etc.  Thank you so much, we runners and walkers could not enjoy these events without what all of you do for us.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on the AG award. I was wondering what Big Red was, I was thinking the gum and that definitely does not go with meat. The little dog is eyeing that popsicle hard.