Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Super Sports Fanatic 5K (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 29th race of 2015.  Held on June 13, 2015, the Super Sports Fanatic 5K was a FREE race offered by Get Fit San Antonio to help encourage people to have an active lifestyle.  Besides the 5K there were other activities too after the 5K, as well as a health fair, various vendors there offering products and programs and so forth.  This event was the kick-off for Get Fit San Antonio for 2015, a program that has many events throughout the year of various activities.  This event also 'sold out' with 2,000 people registering.  I don't think all 2,000 showed up, but there quite a few did.  After the race, a running acquaintance of mine - who didn't run today because of an injury - said he watched the start and the last person crossed the timing mat when the race clock was at 15 minutes, zowie.    Race start time was 9 a.m. - a little late for a June race start in Texas, IMHO, because it gets warm fast around here - and I ended up with a finish time of 35:21.  This was good enough for 2nd in my age group (60 - 69), because there were only 2 IN my age group, lol; which did surprise me a bit with this many people..but I'll take it!  Another medal for me to give to the cancer kids at Children's Hospital.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

Yours truly, your host for this report

My local running club had a tent there

photo 001_zpswwrahwsq.jpg

Chip timing provided by Carrera Races, a very good local race company, and handed out by their great volunteers.

photo 083_zpsyz5v3yct.jpg

Race timing and course setup done by iaapweb.com, another very good local race company

Some of what you saw as you wandered around the area, pre-start.

And, of course some of the participants, supporters, volunteers, etc

This lovely family gives a good look at the race shirts participants got

photo 043_zpspymuji5k.jpg

photo 044_zpsjawyxhkh.jpg

photo 045_zpss0ezuksp.jpg

photo 046_zpsljcqxurz.jpg

photo 047_zpsefn87qe6.jpg

photo 048_zps8idr2nt0.jpg

photo 050_zpsq4l61ilx.jpg

photo 051_zps5nbxnm5o.jpg

Heading toward the start area and there is already a crowd there..

photo 052_zpswoicckdd.jpg

Ahead of me

photo 053_zpsfqotgyqb.jpg

Behind me

photo 054_zpsbqg6xz7u.jpg

In the crowd

photo 055_zpsxdw7pfhz.jpg

photo 056_zpskoox33xd.jpg

On the Course

Event was done at Ladybird Johnson Park in San Antonio.  We started on park roads and then moved on to the park paved trails.  Pretty warm, but lots of shade trees along the way, which helped a bit. We went out on the trails to a certain point, turned around and headed back the way we came.  A bit crowded in some spots along the way - especially after folks made the turn-around point - but everyone that I saw was pretty polite about it and I didn't see anyone getting badly bumped or falling, or having any altercations, etc.  Everyone took it all in stride...no pun intended.    I did hear much later after I'd finished that water had run out on the course - and also at the finish line - so some of the very back folks did not have any available for them near the turn-round point or at the finish...which is not a good thing on a warm Texas day.   Luckily some of the park buildings were open and there were water fountains in there and many people did take advantage of that.

photo 057_zpspgr8xh6u.jpg

photo 058_zps55brlhly.jpg

photo 059_zpse8zeubfq.jpg

photo 060_zpsbzsjn5cw.jpg

photo 061_zpseisf4zn2.jpg

photo 062_zpsaikpxkxv.jpg

photo 063_zpseewy3cg7.jpg

photo 064_zpsnpxhlghz.jpg

photo 065_zpscntnln61.jpg

<p style="font: 12px/18px arial, style=""></p style="font: 12px/18px arial,>

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Another fantastic run- your races down there are all such big events!  If I ran a free race around here, I'd expect a dozen people any maybe some popsicle sticks for timing.

Love the veggie cart, too!  Were they cooking anything, or was it more of a mobile farmer's market?

LRB

Interesting. Were they actually cooking?

GinnyinPA

Isn't this your second free race in the past month or so?  Nice that you have professional timing and all the vendors, etc. at a free race.  You do have a lot of participation in your events in SA.

Docket_Rocket

Nice job an RR.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Congratulations, Scotty!   I had to look in here and see what you were up to.  Its still really green in Texas it looks like.  Hope you're not burning up, and WTG on staying in the races even in this heat!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Another fantastic run- your races down there are all such big events!  If I ran a free race around here, I'd expect a dozen people any maybe some popsicle sticks for timing.

Love the veggie cart, too!  Were they cooking anything, or was it more of a mobile farmer's market?

They were cooking but that truck was a pay-as-you-go vendor for anyone that wanted stuff. Lots of people did buy from them too.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt