Beginners and Beyond

I got a new toy for Christmas (Read 129 times)

Docket_Rocket

The reviews on Amazon are not that great though 3.5 stars. Seems like it either works great or it doesn't. DC said it works better with certain skin types etc. hmmm

What are the bad reviews about?  I wonder if those reviewing them are runners (serious runners) and whether they have used Garmins before.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

The reviews on Amazon are not that great though 3.5 stars. Seems like it either works great or it doesn't. DC said it works better with certain skin types etc. hmmm

One complaint you will likely see - that DC points it out - is that for the optical sensor to work, the watch has to be snug against your wrist.  For some, that will be uncomfortable.   It didn't bother me at all, but bony wrists may find it annoying.

Considering my alternative was having constant chafing on my chest from the strap HRM, it's so far been a much better option.  I really should wear an HRM because of my syncope issues, too, and I just couldn't get a strap to work for me no matter what I did.

And for what it's worth, the Garmin 610 also has a 3.5 star rating. lol

delicate flower

If I were to review the 620, I'd be torn between 2 or 3 stars.  The device works great when it works...when it works.  

<3

Hip Redux

If I were to review the 620, I'd be torn between 2 or 3 stars.  The device works great when it works...when it works.  

4 stars on Amazon!

Docket_Rocket

One complaint you will likely see - that DC points it out - is that for the optical sensor to work, the watch has to be snug against your wrist.  For some, that will be uncomfortable.   It didn't bother me at all, but bony wrists may find it annoying.

Considering my alternative was having constant chafing on my chest from the strap HRM, it's so far been a much better option.  I really should wear an HRM because of my syncope issues, too, and I just couldn't get a strap to work for me no matter what I did.

BTW, one thing I remember is that when I started having issues with the HR readings (during my severe asthma bout) I started wearing the bands snuggier and it fixed the problem.  The bands I bought are slightly different than the one the watch came with (they are the slim ones) so they do tend to get looser with time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Have I mentioned how much I love that we can do this?  After all, I MUST MATCH!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

LRB

After all, I MUST MATCH!

Fashion ho's everywhere approve of this message!

Hip Redux

Have I mentioned how much I love that we can do this?  After all, I MUST MATCH!

That's awesome.

It's smaller than most Garmins, though.  It just looks large.  

Only because of Oski's ever-so-delicate wrist.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Only because of Oski's ever-so-delicate wrist.

My wrist is smaller than Oski, I think!    Mine is only 5.5"!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

My wrist is smaller than Oski, I think!    Mine is only 5.5"!

My wrists are about 6".  I have no idea if that's large or small.  lol

Hip Redux

Update - watch is comfortable and the HRM looks spot on (so far).  Very cool.

Docket_Rocket

Update - watch is comfortable and the HRM looks spot on (so far).  Very cool.

Glad you like it (I was about to ask)!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

I want it!  I've never done any HRT because the thought of wearing a chest strap seemed so awful.  But I am looking for a new watch because my FR10 has lousy battery life (if you are a slow runner like me, it won't last through a marathon).  Maybe a TomTom is in my future.

obiebyke

GASP! I just put this on my wishlist--actually, the run instead of the multisport.

MTA: Duh, it just occurred to me that I run 50% of the year in gloves or mittens that cover my wrists. I don't think the optical HRM would work. 

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)