Beginners and Beyond

Tried but true Sunday Penguins (Read 324 times)

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Hey, just because I said I wasn't starting another 'has anybody seen' thread, I'm going to insert it here.  Has anyone seen Awood?  He's a cool guy and I've really enjoyed watching his journey.   I know Bin is registered here, so that's good.  Any other Penguins unaccounted for?   Still waiting on Scotty Dog, I think he was traveling for the holiday weekend. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

kristin10185-in your shoes, I would just repeat that last week. I think 5, 6, or 7 miles for a LR the week prior at a SLOW pace would be good. Don't go out the week before and try to kill it. If it were me, I would go maybe a little longer than my current race a couple weeks early just so I am mentally confident. When I had ran my first 10K I was routinely running 6-4-6 during the week and 4-and 8 to 10 on the weekend. I think you will be fine as you don't go out trying to be superwoman the week before speed wise. Good LUCK!!!! Please take my opinion as me being pretty new (<1 yr running) as well.

Thanks! I'm not trying to kill it.... I mostly registered for the race because I wanted to train for it, really. Right now in my running career training for races motivates me. I wanted to start running farther distances, and thought the Hal Higdon Novice 10K program seemed do-able for me. I don't plan on running really hard even during my 10K in a few weeks, my goal for it is going to be to run the whole thing, and I will probably run at a pretty conservative pace. I'm considering using that race as a "jumping off point" to train to run a 10K more competitively later this winter. I have a friend doing this race, and I'm doing it more for fun and for a reason to increase milage than to run it all-out.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Gustav, Sorry to hear that.. Maybe the Gangnam style injured ankle is still healing..

Jerry, Enjoy the 5M which turned into 7..

Liz, Good luck with the 10M.. Running in the cold is no fun? I am always running in the tropic, so relate much.. How's the temp?

Jen, Hope you get the 13M in later...

Tomas, You have been building miles lately.. Awesome!

jneilt, Looks like you have a great day.. haa..

Steph, Have a great SUnday.. Like the new avi already..

Jimmy, It's like a reunion here.. Good luck with the distance PR..Pretty good pace..

Lauren, You have fun playing..

Kristin, Way to go on that run and conquering the heartbreak hill...I would do the 5.5M this week and see how the legs is feeling.. Even if the legs is good, I would repeat week 4 and run 4M.. If my legs is not feeling good, I would repeat week 1.. I think taking a mini taper is good.. Not sure if that make sense..

Mel, Sound like a great Sunday.. Enjoy the 8M..

Mitch, Enjoy the 8M and photo-taking..

Amandas, Good job on the 3M

Jack, Hope the ITB is healing.. still foam rolling?

Margo, Listening to the body is good.. rest those legs.. Come back stronger..

She can, Welcome..

Mickey, Enjoy the RD..

AFM, URD for me... Woke up late and couldn't fit a run in.. Tapering for HM anyway **excuses.. Haa**

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Hiya.  very busy today and I didn't have time to post yet.  4 miles tonight done and they went great.

Hope everybody had a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hey, just because I said I wasn't starting another 'has anybody seen' thread, I'm going to insert it here.  Has anyone seen Awood?  He's a cool guy and I've really enjoyed watching his journey.   I know Bin is registered here, so that's good.  Any other Penguins unaccounted for?   Still waiting on Scotty Dog, I think he was traveling for the holiday weekend. 

Who is this Awood you speak of?  LOL

I was really hoping they would get the issues fixed over there quicker, but they didn't.  I checked in today, and saw that there was a thread looking for me.  So, here I am.  I've been partying like crazy for the past few days between Thanksgiving and ThanksGuinness.  Still got my miles in though.

I got my copy of Jack Daniels' "Daniels' Running Formula", and decided to simplify my running schedule for a while.  As part of my base building, I'm just running an hour a day.  I'm going to try that for 3 weeks, continue reading, and decide where to go from there. 

It's good to see everyone again, but I'm going to have to get back to you later.  Football...it's on TV.  I'm just glad I don't have to read about how to watch in online.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hi everyone. 3 miles today for me. Been hunting the last 4 days and I can tell that it was a bit too long of a break. My knee is a little sore tonight.

Shakedown Street

Scotty will make it over I am sure, he is prob running his 300th 5K of the year (and 4th Turkey trot)

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Shakedown Street

Thanks! I'm not trying to kill it.... I mostly registered for the race because I wanted to train for it, really. Right now in my running career training for races motivates me. I wanted to start running farther distances, and thought the Hal Higdon Novice 10K program seemed do-able for me. I don't plan on running really hard even during my 10K in a few weeks, my goal for it is going to be to run the whole thing, and I will probably run at a pretty conservative pace. I'm considering using that race as a "jumping off point" to train to run a 10K more competitively later this winter. I have a friend doing this race, and I'm doing it more for fun and for a reason to increase milage than to run it all-out.

Excellent attitude, I took my 1st races of any new distance as a 'trial run'. You will have fun!!!!

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Jen2011

Back for personals!  Hope you all had a great Sunday!

Tomas, glad to see you here!  Hope your time on the dreadmill wasn’t too awful – great streak you have going!

jneilt, hope you didn’t fall off the roof and the 15 miler helped burn off your Thanksgiving indulgences!

Steph, you’re so good about the CT!  I still need to try the yoga, and definitely need to incorporate some weight training.  Hope your miles went well if you threw those in there too!

Jimmy, great job on the LR today!  Congrats on the PR’s!

Lauren, sounds like you had a nice relaxing Sunday! 

Kristin, congrats on the milestone run!  It’s always great to look back and see how far you’ve come!

Zelanie, hope the dress shopping was successful and you enjoyed the 8 on the treadmill!  I can’t imagine running that long on it, though I imagine this winter I’m going to have to venture into that territory! 

Jerry, glad to hear you had a nice run!

Mitch, hope the photo shoot went well, and the 8 miles too!

Amanda, great job on the 3 miles!

Jack, happy to hear the ITB is better!  Hope you enjoyed your run and the game!

Philliefan, great job on the mileage the last few weeks!  Sounds like you’ve earned a little cutback week.  Sorry that your girls are heading back to school today.  I’ve got a few years before I have to worry about that, but I know it will be here before I know it.  Are they coming home again in a few weeks for Christmas?

She can, welcome to the colony, and great job on the 9+ miles!

Mickey, hope you enjoyed your RD!

Liz, I hope awood and Scottydog find us soon!  I agree that they are missed!  What about Kara?  Have you found her yet?

bin, enjoy the RD, even if it wasn’t planned.  Sometimes life just happens like that!

Damaris, congrats on the great 4 miles!

Awood!  Glad you made it over here!  Enjoy the football and the new running plan!

portal, sorry about the sore knee!  Hope the hunting went well and that your knee cooperates as you ease back into running after a few days off!

AFM, ran 13.1 (yes the .1 is very important!) today.  First time running that distance, and though I really just wanted to be done after I hit mile 8-9, it was a really good run.  Other than my legs being tired/sore, I think it was my best 10+ miler so far.  The temps started out cold, but I seemed to have chosen the right clothes and I wasn’t too hot or too cold.  Less than two weeks to HM…

Hope you all have a great evening!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Way to go Jen! You will be SO ready for your half!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Damaris, just noticed your race schedule in your signature. UMMM HOLY COW!!!! A marathon and 4 halfs between now and the end of the year?! That is incredible. Are you planning on "racing" all of them or are some just for fun?

Hello Everyone!! Personals seem harder on this forum, or I havent figured it out yet!!

3 miles for me today, had a rough time with the 15 degree wind chill.  I am still adjusting to the cold temps.  But on the bright side::

I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon!!!! It is 5 months away lol! April 21, 2013.  So plenty of time to slowly train for it! But its in my hometown before tourist season starts and should be a great run! So as of tomorrow I am starting to increase my long runs by 1/2 mile each week.  After a month I will start an advanced beginner training plan!! So excited and my Dad signed up as well.  He is so happy that I have gotten into running!!!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Docket_Rocket

Damaris, just noticed your race schedule in your signature. UMMM HOLY COW!!!! A marathon and 4 halfs between now and the end of the year?! That is incredible. Are you planning on "racing" all of them or are some just for fun?

That's only for this month. Big grin  Most of them are for fun.  LV is the only one for a time, so far.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

The planned 8 ended up being 5. The photo taking went good, I'll try to post a couple if I can figure it out. I cut the run short bc it was dark when I started, I'll push tomorrow's run to 8.
                              kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hello Everyone!! Personals seem harder on this forum, or I havent figured it out yet!!

3 miles for me today, had a rough time with the 15 degree wind chill.  I am still adjusting to the cold temps.  But on the bright side::

I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon!!!! It is 5 months away lol! April 21, 2013.  So plenty of time to slowly train for it! But its in my hometown before tourist season starts and should be a great run! So as of tomorrow I am starting to increase my long runs by 1/2 mile each week.  After a month I will start an advanced beginner training plan!! So excited and my Dad signed up as well.  He is so happy that I have gotten into running!!!

Awesome Kristi!!

How long have you been running for? I've been tossing around the idea in my head of doing my first half in May. It's not scheduled yet, but there's always a half by me in mid May and the course starts with 2 loops in my favorite park. It's the same park I first started running in, it's the park I returned to to do my first 5 mile run today, and I think it may be a cool first half for me, but I'm afraid that I just don't have the kind of experience to train for a half yet. I decided I would spend January building base and getting my weekly milage up, and then decide (because a training plan would need to start in February).