Beginners and Beyond

Cross-fit danger (Read 175 times)

Nevrgivup

So as I was doing some research on injuries and browsing the web, I came across this really good video about Cross-fit and the harmful effects of too much. It was pretty good. As a nurse, I've treated pts. with Rhabdo. Usually its from a pt that has fallen and has been on the floor for hours that causes the muscles to poor protein into the blood and it effects the kidneys. This makes sense with anything that is done in extreme such as cross-fit. I have never done this type of exercise, nor could I ever because of my back. When I see posts on FB of people jumping on boxes, all I can think of is "her knees" or "my back". The impact on the body cannot be good. Yeah, people say stuff about running and joints, but this looks painful. Unfortunately, I don't know how to link this, so if someone can either tell me how or do it for me that would be great. Thanks! 

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/09/26/crossfit-can-the-popular-extreme-workout-be-dangerous/

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

obiebyke

To link, go to the chain link symbol at the top of the text box. Then enter the URL and the text of the link.

Ta da!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Nevrgivup

Thanks!

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

Funny, that I just read an article in the newspaper (the hell you say?!) about a local Cross-fit championship, and a direct quote from the champion...

"After my very first Cross-fit workout, I went home and slept for 9 hours straight." Haha! Pretty extreme I'd say...

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

This is a better story about it.

Crossfit video

Nevrgivup

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

This is a better story about it.

Crossfit video

HAHAH!

happylily

Those guys in spandex...  

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

Here's a good article about Crossfit.

The Problem with Crossfit

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Nevrgivup

Here's a good article about Crossfit.

The Problem with Crossfit

Very good article. I can understand getting strong and working on strength but this type of exercise is excessive and will eventually lead to injury.. The jumps, kicks, and forces applied with most of the exercises can't be good unless ones form is perfect. Guaranteed most newbies do not use perfect form.

Very good article. I can understand getting strong and working on strength but this type of exercise is excessive and will eventually lead to injury.. The jumps, kicks, and forces applied with most of the exercises can't be good unless ones form is perfect. Guaranteed most newbies do not use perfect form.

Many say the same about our running too much.

I am not a crossfitter, because I am weak for my size. And I am a chicken.

From what I understand, the trainers should modify every exercise to the ability of the client. Now if the client lies to themselves and the trainer about stuff they cant do, then getting hurt will happen and its their fault for being dumb.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Many say the same about our running too much.

I am not a crossfitter, because I am weak for my size. And I am a chicken.

From what I understand, the trainers should modify every exercise to the ability of the client. Now if the client lies to themselves and the trainer about stuff they cant do, then getting hurt will happen and its their fault for being dumb.

In my experience with Crossfit, the great majority of the trainers are little more than enthusiasts that are interested in a way to make cash. They typically have no training to be a trainer or coach.  I am highly surprised that the news is not blaring more often with massive injury reports.

I have personally witnessed crossfitters that do not have the form, fitness or muscle density to try some of the more dangerous exercises. Ever see 105# woman with-out the fitness, strength or experience attempt to clean and jerk a bar with a 35 on each side? It ain't pretty, she spent quite some time with her PT to recover from that.  All at the advice, coaching and direction of no less than (3) 'Trainers'.

People in general are trusting of titles. Even self appointed ones...

In my experience with Crossfit, the great majority of the trainers are little more than enthusiasts that are interested in a way to make cash. They typically have no training to be a trainer or coach.  I am highly surprised that the news is not blaring more often with massive injury reports.

I have personally witnessed crossfitters that do not have the form, fitness or muscle density to try some of the more dangerous exercises. Ever see 105# woman with-out the fitness, strength or experience attempt to clean and jerk a bar with a 35 on each side? It ain't pretty, she spent quite some time with her PT to recover from that.  All at the advice, coaching and direction of no less than (3) 'Trainers'.

its sad that people call them selves trainers or that the "boxes" allow the not so good trainers to get people hurt. Sounds like a good way to get into court.

Tomas

Love the Half

Here's the thing with Crossfit (and with minimalist/barefoot evangelists for that matter).  If you get hurt, it's not the methodology that is the problem; you are the problem.  You didn't do the exercise correctly or you didn't listen to the instructor or, my personal favorite bit of garbage, you didn't "listen to your body."

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Here's the thing with Crossfit (and with minimalist/barefoot evangelists for that matter).  If you get hurt, it's not the methodology that is the problem; you are the problem.  You didn't do the exercise correctly or you didn't listen to the instructor or, my personal favorite bit of garbage, you didn't "listen to your body."

To me there is a big difference between throwing weights around and having the wrong shoes on.

the only time I listen to my body is after Mexican food. I am glad nobody else has to hear that stuff Smile

Tomas