Beginners and Beyond

NIRCA Nationals (Read 28 times)

No more marathons

National intercollegiate running club cross country meet finishing up right now in Hershey, PA.  51 college club teams from across the US competing.  Wish I could be there to see DS.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

One would think there would be online coverage, but I did not see any available on their website.

No more marathons

Yeah, guess it's only a big deal to those competing and their parents from afar.

He's a leaker!

happylily

You must be so proud of your DS! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

No more marathons

Even just you saying that has me sitting here beaming.  Big grin

It has been fun to watch him progress from a mid pack HS cross country runner to a strong local and regional runner.  Memorable moments were when as a Sophomore in HS he finished 1st for his team (I think 10th overall) in a HS meet, and then when we heard his name announced as the first runner at the 25.5 mile mark of his first marathon.  DW and I might have made just a little spectacle of  ourselves.

He's a leaker!

LRB

That's cool as hell.

happylily

Even just you saying that has me sitting here beaming.  Big grin

It has been fun to watch him progress from a mid pack HS cross country runner to a strong local and regional runner.  Memorable moments were when as a Sophomore in HS he finished 1st for his team (I think 10th overall) in a HS meet, and then when we heard his name announced as the first runner at the 25.5 mile mark of his first marathon.  DW and I might have made just a little spectacle of  ourselves.

How wonderful! How much of an influence do you think you had on him? I know you were already a runner years ago, then you stopped for a while. But did he get to see you run when he was very young? Would you often talk about running to him? How did he decide that he would like to go into it? Obviously, there are some awesome running genes in your family. :-)

No more marathons

How wonderful! How much of an influence do you think you had on him? I know you were already a runner years ago, then you stopped for a while. But did he get to see you run when he was very young? Would you often talk about running to him? How did he decide that he would like to go into it? Obviously, there are some awesome running genes in your family. :-)

It's actually the other way around.  His running got me back into it.  I ran for about 7 years in my late 20's and early 30's.  Was semi serious for a while, but main sports were tennis and racquetball.  After my third failed attempt at a BQ (a DNS due to illness) I put aside my running shoes.  DS was born about 8 years later, so no running by me during his early formative years.  When DS decided to run in HS (after a few years of middle school soccer), I started back mainly to keep him company - but he quickly left me in his dust.  Was content to just run 15 to 20 miles per week and enter a few races, but then DS when and ran his first marathon at age 18 and ran 2:42 for an easy BQ.  Put me back on the path and I finally got mine last year - so DS and I will be going to Boston next April - he for his second and me for my first (and only).

He's a leaker!

Love the Half

That's really cool that you are going to Boston together.  Are you each planning to run your own race or are you going to jog it together and take your time?  As a side note, BitDefender blocked the clubrunning web site saying there was malware on it.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Great family history there. Nice to know the running influence can go both ways.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

No more marathons

Results in - 2nd on his team from NC State and 189 out of 688.  Time well off his PB but I think this course is a tough one.  I suspect he is OK with the race - finish time and position was consistent with their southeast regionals a few weeks ago.  Got to see that one.  woo hoo.

MTA:  Ha - no we won't run Boston at the same time. DS will be in wave 1 corral 1 and I'll be back at the end of wave 3.  So not only is his running time likely to be an hour faster than mine, he will also start 40 minutes before me.  Even if we started together he'd have to run backwards for me to keep up.   Wink

He's a leaker!

happylily

Great family history there. Nice to know the running influence can go both ways.

+1!

Congratulations to your son, he did great!

And I can't wait to read your RR from Boston. Smile

No more marathons

And I can't wait to read your RR from Boston. Smile

Oh hell, let me get through the training first.  Shocked  Big grin

I'm sure I'll have many changes of mind as I get through the next 5 months - but right now I have two goals:

1.  Get to the start

2.  Get to the finish.

He's a leaker!