Beginners and Beyond

Early weekend Fridailies (Read 19 times)

sdWhiskers

So I’m staying in the “official host hotel”—home of expo/bib pickup, right near the bus pickup & finish line. Convenient for all that. But: race starts at 7:30, and buses start leaving at 5:45  When does breakfast open? 6:30.  Do you at least have coffee in the lobby in the morning? Oh yeah, we have that. What time? When breakfast opens.  Not the first time I’ve run into this, but at least I’ve learned to ask in advance, to give myself time to figure something out.

My hotel for CIM had an early bird grab-n-go breakfast for runners. LIKE THEY ALL SHOULD.

DavePNW,  you'd think the host hotel would have special breakfast hours.

My hotel for CIM had an early bird grab-n-go breakfast for runners. LIKE THEY ALL SHOULD.

RIGHT??!!

One time they told me they weren’t having anything, I ran around the night before and picked up something, then turned out they had something set up after all. Anyway, looks like they have an in-room coffeemaker, I brought with me a single-serving packet of Justin’s almond butter, now I just need to pick up some kind of bread product.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So I’m staying in the “official host hotel”—home of expo/bib pickup, right near the bus pickup & finish line. Convenient for all that. But: race starts at 7:30, and buses start leaving at 5:45  When does breakfast open? 6:30.  Do you at least have coffee in the lobby in the morning? Oh yeah, we have that. What time? When breakfast opens.  Not the first time I’ve run into this, but at least I’ve learned to ask in advance, to give myself time to figure something out.

And now you know why I prefer races that start at 8:00 AM or later.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

And now you know why I prefer races that start at 8:00 AM or later.

Not sure I would like an 8am marathon start unless it's Winter. And never in Florida.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

sdWhiskers

RIGHT??!!

One time they told me they weren’t having anything, I ran around the night before and picked up something, then turned out they had something set up after all. Anyway, looks like they have an in-room coffeemaker, I brought with me a single-serving packet of Justin’s almond butter, now I just need to pick up some kind of bread product.

I've never eaten hotel breakfast before a marathon though. I'd rather eat my own items (and I don't drink coffee).

sdWhiskers

Not sure I would like an 8am marathon start unless it's Winter. And never in Florida.

I'd rather it start 530-6am to match the time I'm used to running!

Yeah I like them early. But the Victoria Marathon started at 8:45! Fortunately the weather stayed cool. And I had time to wake up on my own, watch Meet the Press, and sit down at the hotel restaurant for a stack of pancakes. I ended up having a great race too. 

Of course the issue is getting back to the hotel for a shower before checkout. This race starts at 7:30, checkout at 11. Incentive to run fast! Snagged a late checkout anyway.

BTW—my vaccine passport to ride the vaccinated-only buses! Suck it anti-vaxxers!

Dave

I've never eaten hotel breakfast before a marathon though. I'd rather eat my own items (and I don't drink coffee).

I just need something resembling a PB&J, a banana, and coffee. Not too much to ask!

They gave a nice race shirt. It even has pockets! And look at that bib#!

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Nice gear and Bib #!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In a 12 or 24 hour race I'm going to be running in the heat of the day regardless.  Might as well have a leisurely morning and a good breakfast at the hotel.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.