Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 63: Leftover 5K and 8-Miler (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full commentary report below.     

Photos Slideshow is here: 

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252063%2520Leftover%25205K%25208M?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 63rd event of 2019 was the inaugural Leftover 5K, held on Nov 30.  There was also an 8-miler.  This is a fun-run put on to help raise funds for Parents Academy, an organization that empowers parents with positive parenting skills to help reduce family stress and build family successes.  Location was at a recently completed San Antonio Greenway trail near The Olive Garden restaurant near the intersection of highways 1604 and IH-10.  Start time of 8 a.m.  I arrived with about 40 minutes to start time and got a few photos.  For an inaugural event, this one had a pretty nice turn-out.  Weather folks had called for rain, but it did not rain on us. However, it was near 70 degrees at star time, with near 100% humidity.  And by tomorrow (Dec 1) San Antonio temps will be down in the 40s again.  Crazy South Texas weather!

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, etc

photo IMG_6786_zps1ta0fwey.jpg

photo IMG_6787_zpsyqyniayv.jpg

photo IMG_6788_zpszuthxcrm.jpg

photo IMG_6782_zpsr4r8znvc.jpg

photo IMG_6783_zpsytvcuely.jpg

photo IMG_6780_zpszyltvfcz.jpg

photo IMG_6781_zpsvseulijy.jpg

photo IMG_6784_zpsz8ukt4om.jpg

photo IMG_6785_zpsntaqzfhv.jpg

photo IMG_6789_zpsvzmonree.jpg

photo IMG_6790_zps8e41jzuv.jpg

photo IMG_6791_zpsgtkcwqek.jpg

Athlete Guild, timing, results

photo IMG_6792_zpskkeevzkl.jpg

Race Director

photo IMG_6793_zpslvb0h2bu.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Still nursing a sore left foot, so I decided to just let everyone go ahead of me – 8 milers and 5K folks all started together – and then just walk slowly on my own for maybe a mile or so and then just come back.  As it turned out, once I started, my foot ‘twinged’ a bit, but I was fairly comfortable, so I ended up walking the whole darn 5K, averaging a blazing speed of about 24 minutes per mile, lol.  I actually ended up with negative splits, first mile in 26-something, 2nd mile in 24-something, and 3rd 1.1 mile in 22-something, finishing in 1:16:08, with my only goal just TO finish.    I was pretty much dead last for the whole course – the turn-round volunteers were happy to see me, lol, since they could pack up – but that was okay, it was a nice walk and I enjoyed myself.   This was also a nice mental confidence booster that my foot is healing; slowly healing, but it is healing.  I got lots of on-course photos, especially as I was going toward the turn-round point and all the other participants were coming back toward me.

Water stop volunteers right near the start/finish.  I think this one was set up more for the 8-miler folks than for we folks doing the shorter 5K distance

photo IMG_6794_zpstwqu1zgp.jpg

My hour+ time walking the course allowed me to get some course viewpoints of participants and the course that I don't normally see or take photos of when I am running it.  Since I was dead last, I saw just about all the 5K folks, lol.  This is a really nice recently opened trail, as part of the San Antonio Greenways trail system

photo IMG_6795_zpsiydlkvp2.jpg

photo IMG_6796_zpsqey2kcld.jpg

photo IMG_6797_zpsdmqjyy7i.jpg

photo IMG_6798_zpsp06i4hni.jpg

First lady/first runner I saw heading to the 5K finish, so I think she was first overall.

photo IMG_6799_zpsojmdx21c.jpg

photo IMG_6800_zpsbhxvkc0v.jpg

photo IMG_6801_zpsb78hdjma.jpg

photo IMG_6802_zpswsw28ruh.jpg

photo IMG_6803_zpsgdc0wybg.jpg

photo IMG_6804_zps2fanivsn.jpg

photo IMG_6805_zpskncdejdr.jpg

photo IMG_6806_zps76xqvv6y.jpg

photo IMG_6807_zpsgvuwfccw.jpg

photo IMG_6808_zps0bpkxorf.jpg

photo IMG_6809_zpsqgtoud8z.jpg

photo IMG_6810_zps9g9do0fk.jpg

photo IMG_6811_zpsa07zo6vm.jpg

photo IMG_6812_zpsscqdytrj.jpg

photo IMG_6813_zpsupjkhhcz.jpg

photo IMG_6814_zpsoieac2py.jpg

photo IMG_6815_zpsuzwv71nt.jpg

photo IMG_6816_zpsazprm8jn.jpg

I thought this turned out pretty well....2 runners silhouetted as they go underneath one of the highway overpasses

photo IMG_6817_zpszknldooe.jpg

My friend coming toward me...so fast that I only caught her hand in the frame, lol.

photo IMG_6818_zpsnstmxb4x.jpg

photo IMG_6819_zpszr1bsrjj.jpg

At last, the turn-round point!  The volunteer was happy to see me; since I was last he could now pack it up

photo IMG_6820_zpsb0awlhn4.jpg

On my way back to the finsh, this was pretty much it... only me and a few cyclists along the way

photo IMG_6821_zpsv5yq6r0l.jpg

These were volunteers at the 1-mile water station point.  Thank you!

photo IMG_6822_zpsfgnqztn5.jpg

After My Finish

Since this was a fun run – no awards, but finisher medals to all finishers – a lot of folks had already taken off, but there was still a nice little crowd of finishers, and some 8-mile folks still on the course and also coming into the finish. After relaxing a bit and getting some water in me, I wandered around taking a few photos of some of the participants and supporters still there.

Well, being the 'speedy walker" I am, lol - NOT - it took me a while to finish, but I got my finisher medal

photo IMG_6827_zps7abz2kqm.jpg

Happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc

photo IMG_6823_zps0wggptqs.jpg

photo IMG_6824_zpshuah69y8.jpg

This guy did the 8-miler, pushing that stroller photo IMG_6825_zpsqdz7tw5a.jpg

photo IMG_6826_zpsrmdnomrf.jpg

My friend here did the 8-miler

photo IMG_6829_zpsgzra6e2k.jpg

Race tee shirt

photo IMG_6830_zpsgs2rfgzf.jpg

T-shirt, medal ribbon and the finisher medal

photo IMG_6831_zps2fhaez7y.jpg

Finisher medal close-up

photo IMG_6832_zpsovhwzkej.jpg

EPILOGUE

Really nicely done inaugural event on a recently opened greenway trail that is very nicely done, going over bridges, under bridges, near some nice “woodsy’ scenery, and so forth  Very wide trail, so nicely accommodating for other runners, cyclists and walkers not doing the event, with enough room for them to get  around the racing folks.  Will definitely be doing some future training runs on this trail, especially as it is only about a 5 minute or so drive from where I work at UTSA.  After-event goodies included a choice of bean-and-cheese or potato-and-egg breakfast tacos.  Nicely designed cotton tee quality race shirt and a unique finisher medal to all finishers.   I would recommend this to others and would do this one again.  Well done, organizers, well done.

Many thanks to all the people who made this one happen for we participants, including all the sponsors, vendors, volunteers, police officers out there for us – I saw a couple of bike police when I was doing my ‘lonely walk’ on the way back -  Athlete Guild race management company for timing, results, helping with course setup, etc.; restaurants Olive Garden and Lone Star Steak House for the temporary use of their parking lots; and anyone else I may not have mentioned here

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I'm surprised there weren't more walkers, usually there are at 5ks. Looks like a nice location though. I hope your foot continues to heal. What was wrong with it?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I'm surprised there weren't more walkers, usually there are at 5ks. Looks like a nice location though. I hope your foot continues to heal. What was wrong with it?

Bone bruise and tendinitis on my 5th metatarsal, left foot.  Looks like I will be out for about  month.  Have to rest up and come back strong in 2020.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt