Beginners and Beyond

Are you going to shop on Thanksgiving? (Read 90 times)

Hip Redux

Lots of stores opening up on Thursday.

I barely enjoy dealing with shopping on Friday (haven't gone in years), so I definitely will not be heading into any stores Thursday either.  Just a Turkey Trot and then FOOD for me.

You going?

Mmmmm...beer

Nope, Thanksgiving is for the 3 F's, family, food and football. Smile

Not going on Black Friday either, not worth the hassle.  I do almost all of my shopping online anyway, why deal with the crowds and the hassle when you can find the same or better deals while sitting in your pj's?

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

No!  In another lifetime before marriage and kids, I worked retail.  Because of the long hours in November and December especially Black Friday, I vowed never to shop on Black Friday nor the opportunity now on Thanksgiving.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

+1

Nope, Thanksgiving is for the 3 F's, family, food and football. Smile

Not going on Black Friday either, not worth the hassle.  I do almost all of my shopping online anyway, why deal with the crowds and the hassle when you can find the same or better deals while sitting in your pj's?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Absolutely not and not likely for any of the rest of the hyper-commercialized season.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

LRB

I had never bought one stinking item that was not alcohol or food related until last year, when Amazon was practically giving away the Garmin 410 so I jumped all over that bad boy.  So yeah, if it's some ridiculous give away with running related gear hit me up!

happylily

No. But I'm going dumpster diving. I'm hoping to find a good pair of Asics, or Newtons. And if I'm really lucky, they will be my size!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

I will not shop on Thanksgiving as a matter of principle.  Those in retail deserve time with their families as well.  And the cheap ass stuff that's available on Black Friday is definitely not worth the hassle.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

catwhoorg

Labrat

Not Thursday and not Friday.

I imagine the furthest from the house we will be on Friday is the park, playing on the swings and climbing stuff

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

RSX

Our Thanksgiving dinner will be on Saturday so after I run my 5k my wife wants to do some shopping if there is anything worthwhile. If our dinner was Thursday we wouldnt go. I prefer going on Friday regardless.

Last year I bought something at midnight, and when the kids were younger did some 5am openings. The beauty of it in those days was that I could have just about everything bought in 3 hours. Then I don't go near the stores until after Christmas.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Not only no, hell no.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That would be a hell no. From the week of Thanksgiving until after Christmas I try to avoid shopping unless it's groceries and then I try to go close to closing time or when the store opens.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

We call black Friday, Thanksguinness.  We buy a keg, and stay home.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Walk-Jogger

Retired &  Loving It

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Probably will not shop on Thanksgiving and probably not after.