Beginners and Beyond

Week 20 Penguins are total pack rats!! (05/16-05/22) (Read 6 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is National Pack Rat day.  I don't think I am one, but I definitely think my husband is.  Case in point -- I had a lovely wood kitchen table and four chairs when we got married.  He had this ugly kitchen table with four vinyl covered roller chairs.  I hated it.  But it was his grandmother's, so that's what's in our kitchen, while mine got relegated to an office upstairs.  Today I sat down in a chair to pay a bill and the thing sheared off at the base and dumped me unceremoniously, loudly, and a bit painfully into the floor.  DH checked the base of the chair, and it's dated 1983.  So I went and got one of my nice sturdy wooden chairs and plunked it down at the (still ugly) table.  He'll never get rid of it, because it was his grandmother's, and that's definitely not a hill I want to plant my flag on, so oh well.  It's all good, and apparently I can get rid of the chairs one by one just by sitting in them.  

Other than that, I got a lot done this weekend, though not everything I'd wanted to.  Go figure.  We're coming to terms with Chewie's absence, but I whispered to Maggie that she needed to tell the universe to send us another kitty to love.  I wouldn't breach the idea of going to the pound for one for months yet, but both Maggie and Chewie just showed up at our door, and I don't think DH would be ok with a kitty that just appeared and claimed us.  So we'll see what happens.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HM - we had a table like that, an ugly old walnut thing that we used when we were first married that Jim had refinished a couple of decades before. After we got a dining room set, it ended up in pieces out in the garage for years, too good to throw away but too ugly to use. Amazingly, when the neighborhood garage sale happened this year, Jim put it out at the curb with a sign saying, "Free". It was gone in an hour. Jim is usually a pack rat, but he has been on a clean out kick for the past year, first clothes, now books. I'm hoping the garage will be in his sights soon, as it is crammed with all sorts of odd junk, especially containers that might be useful someday. (How many empty coffee containers do you need?)

Docket_Rocket

HopesMom, awww, I am sure you will get a kitty when it's the right time.

Ginny, hi!

Took today off and went to PT. Now I am heading to the vet for Hershey's thyroid recheck and then I'll lift tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey, folks!  I've had a busy couple of days at work, some of it kicking butts and taking names, and some of it fixing stupid stuff I goofed up.  Clearly I can't be great all the time, I'm doomed to spotty greatness.  Though my stupidness is also spotty, so there's something.  I have choir practice tonight, which is outdoors and in person, and then chorus via zoom tomorrow.  The chorus is also moving toward outdoors in person, but we're not quite there yet.  I will enjoy singing together again, but for right now, I'm just enjoying being able to get to bed on time on Thursdays!  

GinnyinPA

HM - I'm glad that your music is happening again, whether in person or online. Sorry you had to redo some of your work though. I thought you were using the same type of equipment you had used before?

D - I hope your day is going well.

So far my day has rather sucked. After 3 days of waking up to a swollen eyelid, I called the nurse's line at my insurance company, and after a long discussion, she sent me to Urgent Care. A very brief discussion there got me a diagnosis and a prescription for antibiotic eye drops. We picked up a muffin for lunch, then drove out to Walmart to wait for the prescription. Insurance wouldn't pay for it and rather than wait for them to run up another generic, I just paid cash and we drove home. By the time we got here, it was much too late and too hot to do the late morning run I had intended. (Currently 84 feels like 93). So I'll be on the TM this afternoon and possibly for the rest of the week.

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, Ginny. Hope your eye starts feeling better soon.

HopesMom, enjoy choir practice!

I have 8 miles on the TM at some point today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

HM - I'm glad that your music is happening again, whether in person or online. Sorry you had to redo some of your work though. I thought you were using the same type of equipment you had used before?

This is actually new instrumentation, so I'm expanding my knowledge base!

Sorry about your eye and the insurance, that's really annoying!!  Hoping you feel better soon!

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi all, is it Friday yet?  Why yes, it is!!  I finally got my new work laptop mostly set up, and although it'll be easier when I have a docking station and can use both large monitors instead of the laptop monitor and one on the side, it's a usable setup.  Now I have to get the loaner laptop cleaned off and figure out how to send it back.  That's on my to-do list for the day.

No big plans for the weekend here (go figure), just a little baking, housecleaning, and quartet practice on Sunday.  And all the sleeping in I can do tomorrow!!  

Docket_Rocket

Friday took long enough!

I ran 6 with 4 X 400m on the TM yesterday and lifted. Today, it's PT, Pilates and a bike ride.

HopesMom, enjoy the weekend!

Damaris

Fundraising Page