Beginners and Beyond

Happy Winter Solstice FRIDAY Penguins! (Read 167 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Morning Penguins and Gustav! One day I am going to beat you and start this thread!! Lol just kidding! You come up with great names! I am preparing for a full day of work and my brothers Christmas play tonight, that is of the world doesn't end sometime today Wink! Have a great day all!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Kristi - I'm sure your brother's play will go on!

AFM - yesterday was my usual weight machine circuit at the gym. At home I did my theraband exercises, core, and stretching. I also just started doing myrtl exercise. I just roughly figured I spend about 2 hours doing that routine. I'd rather just run and be done.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Gustav, Thanks for starting.. In Chinese calendar, this is an impt day where family get together..

Kristi, You will need to wake up like 3am to beat Gustav.. Smile

Missed my 3M loosening run.. My PC added weirdly last night and I have to disassemble my PC to find that the heatsink is not working.. I woke up early to try to RMA it.. But only been informed that the svc center has shifted.. A wasted trip.. I called the new svc center and they do not have 1-1 replacement.. Well, I will just have to wait and use office PC or phone to post..

Tmr is my 1.5mile run and fitness test.. If I can achieve gold standard, I will rec $400 cash. Big grin (abt 300USD)

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!  I only ran 2 miles last night (gasp!)  I was not in the mood to run.  I'll try again tonight.  This break week has been taken over the extreme.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins!

Apparently the world was supposed to end at 11:11 GMT.... which is 6:11 EST. Still here!

But with Damaris saying she wasn't in the mood for running I am starting to worry the end may be near.

So the rain is POURING here....and there is gross green stuff pouring from my nose (TMI I know Joking). So, URD. While I prefer not to run in a big rain storm like this, I may have considered it if I didn't have a cold. I've been sick way too much lately. Grumble grumble. I guess that is what I get from working with small children.

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Finally, the days are getting longer.  Feels warmer already.  Chi-town dodged a bullet this time.  I think DW will want to go to the track later this morning for our run.

Feel better Kristin  !!!!

Have a great  weekend and good luck to the brave weekend racers.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yay, I got my Ford Escape back from the shop yesterday.   The Dodge Dart was okay, but it sure is nice to be sitting up a bit 'high' again in my Ford Escape.  The only beef I have with my Escape is that darn electric seats.  I don't have a memory seat so when it gets worked on, the mechanics usually move the seat. After I get the car back,  it takes me FOREVER to find my exact seat position again that is just right for my weird spinal arthritic back.  Note to self:  next time upgrade and get the memory seat.

Thanks for starting us off, Gustav! Quiet day today, guess a lot of our folks have today off or are already heading towards their holiday destinations.  Safe trip to all traveling today or over the weekend!

Yeah, Kristi, me too, working all day today.  Then watching a football bowl game tonite.  I sure lead an exciting life!  Joking   Actually, it's kind of nice, I had plenty of "excitement" during my military days, lol.  When I was way younger, I used to daydream about a life of adventure.  Well, careful what you wish for, lol, it may come true, as an old saying goes.  Sometimes my military days were a bit TOO adventurous.   After all that, it's kind of nice to just have a life of calm normalcy.   Altho Gail says I'll never actually be quite NORMAL, lol.

Missed my 3M loosening run.  Wow, Bin, you use Scotch tape to help you loosen up on a run? Wink   Good luck with your run tomorrow and hope you get the cash, that would be a nice bonus!  As for your computer...I didn't understand any of that, lol, I am a technology idiot.  Umm, why does your computer have a sink that heats?  To wash files? Roll eyes

Not in the mood to run?  Only 2 miles?  Didn't run earlier this week?  Let's see...mood swings, apathy...and are you feeling hot, then cold, then hot, then cold....ummm, Damaris, maybe your 'change of life' is starting to kick in...Wink   It was not all bad...at least for me, anyway.  When Gail had 'hot flashes" during the night,especially in cold weather,  I'd snuggle up to her and stay nice and warm....Joking.    For the most part I did behave myself though... guys, please take note: you do NOT want to get your partner annoyed when she is going through that,  "revenge" will be had for anything you may say or do that she may take offense at...and it is often done in very ingenious ways.....it took me a while to grow back the other half of my moustache.....Joking..

I knew the world wouldn't end, Kristi. My bud in Australia - ahead of us in time, since he is past the International Date Line - gave me a call and said "No worries, mate, we're still here!"  lol.   Sorry about the rain you're having, and the green stuff pouring from your nose.   However, look at the bright side, at least it's from your nose and not from some other orifice.  Hope you feel better!  Maybe Santa will bring you an overnight cure.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Finally, the days are getting longer.

Really, Jerry?  What planet are you on?  Wink  Enjoy your run later.

Docket_Rocket

Scotty, I am not THAT old!

It's very quiet on the penguins today.  Maybe the rest got end of the world-y?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Crap, I forgot to give the "AFM" statement.

As for me:  Today is a rest day. Tomorrow I will be doing a 5K in Seguin, Texas.  It does not start until 10 a.m. so I get to sleep in a bit. This is the one I will be doing:

Can't find any more races through the end of the year, so this will probably be my last race of the year. Bringing me to a total of 73 races for the year, which ties me for how many I did last year too, that is my all-time high for the year.

My very first race of next year will be a Midnite Run 5K on January 1st, 2013 at Fort Sam Houston to welcome in the New Year.  Starts exactly at Midnite.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty, I am not THAT old!

It's very quiet on the penguins today.  Maybe the rest got end of the world-y?

Maybe not in actual years, but as much "super powers" stuff you do, Damaris,  maybe your body is just feeling a bit older now.  Wink   Nothing wrong with that.....and can you take your teeth out yet? Joking

Docket_Rocket

Scotty!  I have one two.  The wind will be brutal.  Contrary to you, we have a HM next weekend too.  So excited for my last two races of the year.  Just for fun.

I AM NOT OLD AND DO NOT FEEL OLD!  If you keep this, I'll pull out my whip!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Hey all!

We the east coast is still here as well.  I guess I do have to go out and buy my kids presents....

well 5.2 nice and rainy miles for me today.  Big points!

You all have a nice day!

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

From yesterday's thread:  

Scotty I wasn't meaning that to offend anyone I'msorry! There are many people who fall into the category of "very old" (though that's not you!) Or "having a disability" that are amazing runners and run MUCH faster than I do and much farther! Wasnt trying to offend anyone! I am actually moat inspired by people who get out there and run and race in spite of any kind of obstacle. In fact my entire life and career is based around helpung people ocercone obstacles in order to do things they want to do (I'm an occupational therapist). I promise I was NOT trying to offend anyone. That was probably the most insensitive thing I've ever said. I was just pointing out that I noticed the pack of a 10K, at least the one I ran, was much much much faster overall than the 5Ks Ive run. Example, there was a 5K right before my 10K on Sunday. DFL of the 5K was over an hour, while DFL of the 10 was in the hour and 30 minute range. Sorry Sad and ignore the boatload of typos. Too hard to fix on my phone.

Kristin, I was not offended, sorry if I gave you that impression, so my apologies to you!  I was just being facetious, poking fun at myself, and just trying to give you a laugh...tone is so hard to convey through the written word...didn't I put one of those emoticon thingys after my statement to let you know I was joking? I thought I did...if not, my apologies again for that too.  It's all good.