Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #230 (Read 27 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Why would someone pay for a virtual race, I do not get it.

From what I read on FB, it's all about the bling, fancy medals to display.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

I am all about the fancy medals of real races that count...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

Oh I agree. But in this case, I've already paid the money and they seemingly won't give it back.

I do get that in those cases, it's like yeah, send me the t-shirt and the medal I paid for, and my TT will go on a leaderboard and I'll see howI did against others who also paid $100 for a t-shirt and a medal.

But since there are no normal races, people do register in virtual races, don't they? Some are free, so why not. Some, like Baboon's is $20 for a series of 4 races and there is possible prize money, I kinda dig that one. But some virtual races I see, I'm like, but why?

Cyberic

I figured that might be it. I wonder if they'd pay me to send them a gps trace of me running a sub-20 5K for them to use as if it were theirs? For $20, that .fit file is all yours ,,😁

MTA: I know it's not the same thing, it's just that if people like to show off, maybe there's money there...

MTA2: $120 for a preowned Boston medal on eBay

Cyberic

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=boston+marathon+medal&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1313