Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 32 Police Firefighters Memorial 5K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252032%2520Police%2520Firefighters%2520Mem%25205K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 32nd race of 2019 was Police and Firefighters Memorial 5K put on by Purnell Racing on May 25.  This event honored and recognized police and firefighters fallen in the line of duty and proceeds benefit the San Antonio 100 Club that provides surviving family members funds for immediate and long-term needs. Race location was Heroes Stadium, an 11,000-seat stadium serving the needs of North East Independent School District in San Antonio.  Race start time of 8:30 a.m., with a Kids run at 8 a.m., and a remembrance ceremony – color guard, bagpipe players, National Anthem, etc – at 8:15 a.m.  I arrived with about an hour to go to start time and got a few before-the-start photos.

For this event, the randomly selected name of  one of the fallen was put onto your race bib and that is who you were honoring and running or walking for, for this event.  When I got my bib, I noticed the name on it.....Scott Deem....wow....so no slacking off for me today for this local hero.  You can read about Scott here:   https://therivardreport.com/remembering-firefighter-scott-deem-one-year-after-tragic-death/

After the race, I wrote a short note on my bib to Scott's family, then took it down to the Firehouse where Scott Deem was assigned,  and asked the fiirefighters there to give the bib to his family.  It was an honor and a privilege to run this event in his honor and remembrance.

photo IMG_0077_zpsb942ggun.jpg

Police cadets

photo IMG_0080_zpsg5xxqln7.jpg

They drafted me for a photo with them.

photo IMG_0081_zps8we9pxvq.jpg

photo IMG_0083_zpsert0snbp.jpg

Police Color Guard for the National Anthem and opening ceremony

photo IMG_0093_zpsi1a927bt.jpg

Bagpipers

photo IMG_0099_zpsetovkehr.jpg

Our bike officer, who was all over the course during the vent, making sure we were okay

photo IMG_0087_zpsgqer7niv.jpg

Race Director John Purnell, with son Mark Purnell who did the MC duties

photo IMG_0088_zpsqz0m3nmg.jpg

With my favorite lady runner

photo IMG_0090_zps058swqv1.jpg

Start/finish line.  As you can see we had a windy day for this one.

photo IMG_0094_zpsxgn9bzzw.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc.

photo IMG_0076_zps4duba21w.jpg

photo IMG_0082_zps6umi2iuk.jpg

My friend, Albert (middle) had on his bib the name K-9 Chucky.  Chucky was a German Shepherd police dog of the Bexar County Sheriff's office who was killed in the line of duty this year in January.

photo IMG_0084_zpsfn45nscu.jpg

photo IMG_0085_zpsn8xgnicz.jpg

photo IMG_0086_zpsr74ybrgl.jpg

photo IMG_0091_zpsecmyicse.jpg

photo IMG_0092_zpsezmqwoqx.jpg

photo IMG_0095_zpscchr8ffr.jpg

Yes, I am crazy, as my UTSA co-worker here indicates....actually he was pointing at his hat, lol

photo IMG_0096_zpsyevowqep.jpg

photo IMG_0098_zps3wosccbd.jpg

photo IMG_0100_zpsqbtbrch5.jpg

photo IMG_0101_zpskvpf1k7s.jpg

Heading toward the start line, with a view of part of Heroes Stadium

photo IMG_0102_zpsp2a31kka.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Starting in front of Heroes Stadium, this was a 2-lap course that took us on roads around the stadium – including one long hill we had to climb twice – and after the 2nd climbing of the hill, we went back downhill and then turned into the stadium parking lot to finish on the part of the course we had started on. I ended up at exactly 34 minutes on the nose, which was good enough for 1st in my 65 – 69 males age group; there were only two in my age group, so that gave me some help.

First lap, a bit over a half-mile.  The official photographer is standing on the left.

photo IMG_0103_zps7xrtyeed.jpg

photo IMG_0104_zps8q39p82g.jpg

A distant view of the hill I am heading toward

photo IMG_0105_zpsgtqvzlyw.jpg

photo IMG_0106_zpsqrrjnces.jpg

photo IMG_0107_zpsh69fo0ay.jpg

Going past Heroes Stadium...we started in the stadium parking lot just a bit down from the front of this building

photo IMG_0108_zps51tbxoag.jpg

photo IMG_0109_zpshr1vl2a5.jpg

photo IMG_0110_zpspzcpiukc.jpg

photo IMG_0111_zpst46oxtnj.jpg

Lap 2...to the right is a small inner-city highway, Wurzback Parkway

photo IMG_0112_zps56ugyooe.jpg

photo IMG_0113_zpsxu6ymukl.jpg

This building is CRIT USA, part of Teleton of Mexico, which provides rehab and care services for disabled kids.  They have a pretty nice 5K themselves  near the Christmas Holiday season.

photo IMG_0114_zpsvowadlhv.jpg

Going past Toyota Field, the home in San Antonio of professional soccer.

photo IMG_0115_zpsrfivwnai.jpg

Yeah, today's humidity and the hill can take it out of you a bit...

photo IMG_0116_zpsprtakyaj.jpg

My friend Albert back there seems directionally challenged

photo IMG_0117_zpslocynhbx.jpg

My second time up the hill.  I stopped for a few seconds at the top to get a photo, looking down the hill

photo IMG_0118_zpshtrvsjfv.jpg

After that, down the hill and to the finish line.

AFTER MY FINISH

Cool-down walk, enjoyed a post-race sausage wrap and some cold water and then wandering around getting some various photos of finishers, supporters, volunteers, etc.

photo IMG_0119_zpshanace9v.jpg

photo IMG_0120_zpswspsp8d5.jpg

photo IMG_0121_zpseiqhzual.jpg

This officer ran the whole course in uniform, including his police boots.  My second lap, as I was going up the hill, he was already down the hill and heading to the finish. I think he finished under 30 minutes.

photo IMG_0122_zps20ooxbxl.jpg

photo IMG_0123_zpsifdtikqh.jpg

photo IMG_0124_zpsgppgu6mf.jpg

With this very nice Air Force family

photo IMG_0126_zpspf65ywgy.jpg

Medal recipient, 65 - 69 age men age group. 

photo IMG_0127_zpstt2nwk96.jpg

My speedy friend Terry placed

photo IMG_0129_zpstinnf6rp.jpg

Three happy finishers

photo IMG_0130_zpsbkddwlyc.jpg

A whole group of happy finishers

photo IMG_0131_zpsawiqzin9.jpg

My speedy friend Woody also placed

photo IMG_0132_zpslv6ktuhy.jpg

Three old guys with medals...

photo IMG_0136_zpsprulg5li.jpg

Bernadette, as usual, got first in her age group. 

photo IMG_0133_zpsa4x5bw4v.jpg

photo IMG_0134_zps2fjfg2da.jpg

This was the timing and results crew, also set up and took down the finish line, etc.  Thank you for being out there for us!

photo IMG_0138_zpspmfjrbjl.jpg

EPILOGUE

I have done this race a few times in the past and it is always a nicely put-on event by Purnell Racing.   There are usually both police cadets and firefighter cadets doing formation runs in this event, but I only saw police cadets today, don’t know what happened to the firefighters, they’ve been there in past years that I’ve done this one.  Even with the hill, pretty nicely laid-out course with plenty of maneuvering room for everyone.  Nice post-race grilled sausage and a few other goodies from various vendors, sponsors, etc    Nice quality race shirt.  BTW, also nice that the stadium folks allowed us to use the indoor stadium restrooms, much nicer than porta-potties.

Kudos to Mark Purnell who did his usual great job as MC and kudos to Race Director John Purnell for standing out on the course cheering on every runner and walker that was out there.   This is a very good event I will do again and would recommend to others.

Along with John and Mark, mucho thanks to all the people that made this one happen for we participants:  all the volunteers, sponsors, vendors, supporters, RaceEntry (I think it was RaceEntry) for timing, results, etc; the police cadets and other officers out there for us, as well as police Color Guard and bagpipers; the police cycle officer out there on the course for us; and any others I  did not mention here.   Thanks for what you do so we participants could have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt