Beginners and Beyond

Alien Penguin Tuesday (Read 23 times)

Brilliant

Lauren I'm so glad you can do pool running.

Ginny, you always have such an encouraging word, thanks!  I hope you got some nice cloud cover and had a good run.

Sly, hi!

Mitch, enjoy the speedwork.

Jerry, I hope you got a nice 5 miles done.

Jill, how fun that you are getting to run in exciting new places!  Way to keep up with your training.

Zel, safe travels!

Docket_Rocket

Hi pens ! Urd yesterday because of travel issues. Today I got 2 miles done in the morning before I decided the air quality in Strasbourg wasn't good for my lungs. I'm on th high speed train back to Paris now so after dinner I'm going to try to get the missing four miles of my run done. I figure I can run around the Eiffel Tower while hubby drinks some beer or wine in the park and then I can have a post run beer when I'm done. Tomorrow will be cross training as we are going to visit chateaus and cycle around the Loire valley.

Lauren - yay for normal shoes

hsm - yay for alternate energy sources. We've passed quite a few wind turbines on the train

pad - enjoy your group run

dr - do you still have to take Claritin or other antihistamines with allergy shots?

scotty - nice long run Smile

Brill - I'm glad you're getting back to running

ginny - this trip has me missing access to the air conditioned treadmill. It got up into the high 90s in Strasbourg today. We chose the hotel we stayed at because it had a fitness center - which had a single treadmill in a room without air conditioning

Hog - are you training for anything specific?

Hi speedy sly.

Jerry - I'm jealous of your weather.

I have to take Zyrtec every day, even with the allergy shots.  Even with those and Nasonex, it took 5 years for my allergies to be somewhat normal.

Napped for an hour and weights are done.  Run soon to follow.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!!  It was still 89 with a "feels like" of 100 last night at 9:00, so we didn't run.  Tonight will also depend on the weather.  We could technically switch to morning running, which is what we usually do for the summer, but our PT routine is fairly habitual in the morning and I'd hate to switch it up and then be too lazy in the evening to do PT.  Right now I figure keeping up PT is more important than running, since the heat won't last forever.  The install for our solar panels is starting today -- DH said they're there and unloading the truck.  I kinda wish I could be there to watch, but considering Dusty is going to bark ALL day, maybe it's better I'm at work!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your weights and mile, enjoy the group run!!

Docket -- have a good 6 and weights, hope the allergy shot is easy, and woo-hoo for leaving early!!

scotty -- Wow, that's an early morning, but sounds like you made the most of it!!

Dusty is supervising!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Jill, yes I'm in training to race a Half on Sept 12. Then have another Half on Sept 19, a full on Oct 18, a 50k on Nov 22, another full and 2 more 50k's to end the year, LOL. I have gone crazy!!

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Evening!  5.8 miles yesterday, 4 hiking miles on my SRD today; it was just too pretty.  I figure carrying the kid in the child carrier up the mountain counts as cross-training.

All of you running in the heat deserve mad props.  Does anyone else find that they're relatively okay with the heat as long as it's a) dry and b) the sun isn't beating down?  I ran on a 91F/40%humidity day and it wasn't bad except when the sun peeked out of the clouds.  Like, I think if I got better sunglasses I could run for miles more.

GinnyinPA

Emmbee- you're right, it is much easier without the humidity.  When we were out west last summer, it was always hot, but I ran outside without too much trouble.  At home we have dew points in the 60's and 70's and I melt during the dog walks.

Mitch - that's a busy schedule for the fall. Which are your marathons?

sapf - you don't expect those kind of  temps in Europe.  Yikes.

The sun came out, so I did tempo intervals on the TM - 8 miles total with four at 10k pace.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

I grew up near Pittsburgh.  Don't miss the humidity at all; it was like living in an armpit in the summer.  But I didn't run then!

Docket_Rocket

Evening!  5.8 miles yesterday, 4 hiking miles on my SRD today; it was just too pretty.  I figure carrying the kid in the child carrier up the mountain counts as cross-training.

All of you running in the heat deserve mad props.  Does anyone else find that they're relatively okay with the heat as long as it's a) dry and b) the sun isn't beating down?  I ran on a 91F/40%humidity day and it wasn't bad except when the sun peeked out of the clouds.  Like, I think if I got better sunglasses I could run for miles more.

That's because you can get used to heat but not humidity.  No matter how many years you run in humid weather (like me), it will always suck and your body will never get used to it.  But heat, once acclimated, you are good.  Not so with humidity.

Damaris

Fundraising Page