Beginners and Beyond

To push it or not to push it (this saturday's HM) (Read 79 times)

LRB

http://www.monumentalmarathon.com/pace-team/#pace

Damn thing sure seems like it's trying to estimate your finish. It even gives you your splits according to your most recent race finish.

That thing is retarded, it is taking the time you enter and multiplying it by 26.2 with no distance or fade adjustment.

That thing is retarded, it is taking the time you enter and multiplying it by 26.2 with no distance or fade adjustment.

THAT'S BECAUSE IT IS NOT A RACE TIME PREDICTOR!

Dave

Hip Redux

Yes. But for a race of the same distance.

So you put in a race time for a 5k and it gives you your race time for a 5k?   People need a calculator for that?

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Except that McMillan's marathon equivalent time for a 1:56 HM is 4:04, plus 15 minutes, you get 4:19. You're far from 4:00, or even 4:07.

Pfft... I quit following McMillans a while back. Not that it isn't good info.

So you put in a race time for a 5k and it gives you your race time for a 5k?   People need a calculator for that?

You put in your target finish time for a 5k, and it gives you the associated pace, or vice versa. Or do the same for HM or marathon.

Dave

onemile

Yep. Completely useless.

Docket_Rocket

http://www.monumentalmarathon.com/pace-team/#pace

Damn thing sure seems like it's trying to estimate your finish. It even gives you your splits according to your most recent race finish.

Yes, it's asking your splits for those times during the race, not your 5K PR and your HM PR.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

You put in your target finish time for a 5k, and it gives you the associated pace, or vice versa. Or do the same for HM or marathon.

Then why would it calculate out the pace for the other distances?  Makes no sense.

Then why would it calculate out the pace for the other distances?  Makes no sense.

If you enter a pace, it makes sense to give you all 3 finish times, because it doesn't know which race you're running.

If you enter a finish time, it only needs to give you pace; I agree it probably makes no sense to give you the other 2 finish times. Maybe not the best design.

Dave

Hip Redux

If you enter a pace, it makes sense to give you all 3 finish times, because it doesn't know which race you're running.

If you enter a finish time, it only needs to give you pace; I agree it probably makes no sense to give you the other 2 finish times. Maybe not the best design.

Right.

I wasted way too much time on this stupid pace calculator.

Right.

I wasted way too much time on this stupid thread.

FYP.

Dave

happylily

I think this calculator deserves a few emoticons in honor of FS:    

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

FWIW, Andrea, McMillan predicts a 4:01 finish time based on your 5k PR. So that, plus your HM PR indicating a 4:04, maybe you do have a chance at a near 4:00 finish time. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

FWIW, Andrea, McMillan predicts a 4:01 finish time based on your 5k PR. So that, plus your HM PR indicating a 4:04, maybe you do have a chance at a near 4:00 finish time. 

If only she would race the half so we could know for sure! 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think this calculator deserves a few emoticons in honor of FS:    

Hey now, I said I found it hilarious, not that I believed it or anything dang it.

And Dave my thread isn't stupid thank you very much 

Onemile quit pressuring me dang it!! Lol, I am going to puke before this Saturday's race 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)