Beginners and Beyond

2017 Race 21 Report and Photos: Helotes Beer Garden 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:    http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2021%20Helotes%20Beer%20Garden%205K

A couple of the photos may have come out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 21st race of 2017 was the March 26th Helotes Beer Garden 5K in the San Antonio area.  It is a very popular local event so lots of participants.  Picked up my packet the day before.

Very nice tech tee race shirt, modeled here by my lovely wife.

photo 101_zpst0qdx3nx.jpg

Start and finish was in front of the El Chaparral restaurant – thanks to them for letting us invade their space for a while. Arrived with about 30 minutes to go to start time and got a few pre-start photos.

C'est moi!  With two running friends

photo 008_zps3ddsih26.jpg

photo 009_zpstsn5m8s6.jpg

photo 004_zps734auxbc.jpg

photo 001_zpscvqu5qtq.jpg

photo 002_zpsdqxhfszb.jpg

photo 005_zpsuol22myn.jpg

photo 006_zpsomgdhp58.jpg

photo 010_zpsb7bc65bf.jpg

My friend Bob, on my left, is my man-crush...  

photo 011_zps8ektvrh0.jpg

photo 012_zpsuap4kfad.jpg

photo 013_zpstf6vlb9n.jpg

photo 014_zpst7qbfq2o.jpg

photo 016_zpscc1ynozj.jpg

photo 017_zpszdjtipaj.jpg

photo 018_zpscvfarpb0.jpg

photo 019_zps8cmzfac3.jpg

photo 021_zps76bl6qid.jpg

photo 022_zpso8n4cigc.jpg

photo 023_zpsn2rfbumf.jpg

photo 024_zpspmcnhoiw.jpg

photo 025_zpswmkddeeo.jpg

Getting ready to start....

photo 015_zpsqmd8srqq.jpg

ON THE COURSE

8:30 a.m. start with weather bright and sunny, about 63 degrees, and a wind blowing about 15 mph or so – at our backs going out on the course and into our faces as we headed to the finish.  We started on a bit of dirt-and-gravel driveway, then onto paved roads in “Old Towne” Helotes – passing in front of the now closed Soler Sports, which was a very good local running/bike store…lots of past races hosted at this venue – then did an out-and-back on another local road, a short out-and-back on a side road, and then back to the restaurant area the way we had come out. For Helotes  - where most 5K routes are super hilly – this was actually pretty mild for hills, just the ones on the start-and-finish road – going out, downhill, then uphill past Soler Sports – and then in reverse on the way to the finish. Nicely thought out and laid out course that accommodated the many participants at this event, giving all of us lots of room to maneuver around as needed.

photo 026_zpsr3o7e1pm.jpg

photo 027_zpscfxrpd1m.jpg

photo 029_zpsqzxi9hwl.jpg

photo 030_zps6ask4vtf.jpg

photo 031_zpsw5hcmtux.jpg

photo 032_zpsqxb5x5xp.jpg

photo 033_zpsk1csbo4b.jpg

photo 034_zpsh2dvpqod.jpg

photo 035_zpsjqisdsja.jpg

That guy on the left is not the leader....just a guy out for a training run, I think.  Bet he was surprised to be greeted by hundreds of runners, lol.

photo 028_zpspurg59w2.jpg

This guy, on the left heading toward me was the leader.  I tried to get a full shot of him, but another runner came up beside me.  The the leader was gone!  I think he finished in 18-something.

photo 036_zpsvchwavo3.jpg

This was the second guy

photo 037_zpsyzlopwmo.jpg

God Bless America!  My friend Max carrying the flag as he does at just about all his races

photo 038_zpsbpxnfmgs.jpg

Made one of the turn-around points, heading back to the finish

photo 039_zpsk0cyttia.jpg

photo 040_zpsarallzzs.jpg

Dude..you're going the wrong way.. 

photo 041_zpslkrhurb0.jpg

Oh..Mr. 1994..went back to run with a friend...nice

photo 042_zpsjdvav9mf.jpg

photo 043_zpsdstsglgd.jpg

photo 044_zpslzu3dkw2.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

I thought it was pretty cool that a couple of the race folks had their pads at the finish and, as much as possible, gave out instant chip-time finish results after you crossed the finish mat.  I actually knew one of the guys, so when he saw me he called out “Scotty!  32:21 chip!”  Nice.

photo 045_zpsk4pd9hqb.jpg

Saved me from having to stand in line to check the results and I knew already I hadn’t place in my age group as, with as large as this race is, before the start I’d seen several of my speedier friends in my age group who usually all run 5Ks in the 20s minute range.

All good, this just left me more time to drink some water, do a cool-down walk and then get to the important stuff:  the post-race BEER.  They don’t call this Beer Garden 5K for nothing.  There were lots of local craft breweries represented here, all giving out cups of their stuff.  As my personal favorite is Alamo Beer, I took a moment to find their tent on the after-party field and then headed there.

After that, wandered around taking photos of various ‘happy finishers’ – I always call them that because I seem to notice a lot more people are smiling after they are done then before and during the event, lol – vendors, sponsors, volunteers, etc.

photo 046_zpsk4tfxmh2.jpg

Hey, my friend, can you get off my dry shirt so I can put it back on..  

photo 047_zps9lt4cxsq.jpg

photo 049_zpsmmkfgncb.jpg

Yeah, found my beer of choice

photo 054_zpspgbxwxgp.jpg

Cold beer and a dry shirt post-race...nice!

photo 055_zpsfmptfqrl.jpg

photo 057_zpsdnirkr7m.jpg

photo 058_zps1iokoas3.jpg

photo 060_zps78sfjtdg.jpg

photo 077_zpso63nf1tf.jpg

photo 062_zps0xjhblq8.jpg

photo 063_zpswmzygvte.jpg

Rocky...look at the camera.....Rocky...

photo 064_zpsvmuzcy1l.jpg

Good boy....

photo 065_zpsmvd2rwvu.jpg

Rocky says OK, dude, I'm done looking toward the camera...

photo 066_zpsbflhvty3.jpg

This little fella knew I had dog biscuits in my pocket, lol.  He got a couple.

photo 061_zpsuytnbfz4.jpg

photo 059_zpsoe6nfhr0.jpg

photo 050_zpsv8nremg3.jpg

photo 051_zps3oqwt8kv.jpg

photo 053_zpsmytzwabr.jpg

With the 'Teed Off at Cancer" folks...they were selling Teed Off at Cancer shirts, etc.  Nice shirts too, but I had no cash with me..

photo 067_zpskxwljqym.jpg

photo 068_zpsofudej5v.jpg

photo 070_zpsb3nf6vpq.jpg

Food truck...love the name...

photo 071_zpszntbdlti.jpg

photo 072_zpsxfzo92ez.jpg

photo 073_zps9yynkwki.jpg

photo 074_zpsdynvo1qo.jpg

photo 076_zpseaoltv6g.jpg

photo 078_zpsteqytgo2.jpg

photo 079_zpsayauaipg.jpg

I think I was cracking these guys up, telling them what to expect when they get to my age...like "I pooped today!" is a good thing...and the letter P will be their favorite in the alphabet, lol.

photo 080_zpscb2yjt2l.jpg

photo 052_zpsiose2xrf.jpg

photo 086_zpsbcyd6whu.jpg

photo 088_zpsfdkbact3.jpg

photo 081_zpsnucydrg0.jpg

With two pretty young ladies...I look great! 

photo 082_zpsyqgmgtfr.jpg

I thought the lady on the far right was their older sister.... nope..mother...really?

photo 083_zpsoneklgnc.jpg

photo 085_zpsxxvqtobf.jpg

photo 087_zpsnynu1bx7.jpg

photo 089_zpsee2m5tli.jpg

photo 090_zpsplxnlwjs.jpg

photo 091_zps1mx7sgxr.jpg

photo 092_zpso9jzqkyc.jpg

photo 093_zps2rm2bwrr.jpg

photo 094_zpsd6iqddx0.jpg

photo 095_zpsey9yxb4t.jpg

photo 096_zpspzbei0uc.jpg

photo 098_zpsdw48m9io.jpg

photo 100_zpsiyptuyvm.jpg

And to close out the photos... a selfie.   I am getting pretty good at taking a selfie with my old-time Canon camera; unlike a phone, I can't see myself on the viewer, so have to guesstimate the right position...

photo 097_zpssw8rzg75.jpg

EPILOGUE

I love this event and try to do it every year.  This year though, was special for me because last year this is the race in which I tore my adductor muscle and had to take some running time off.  I did manage to finish last year, but ouch ouch ouch.  So this year I wanted to do well and prove that I could ‘conquer’ this course.  Mission accomplished, and I felt pretty darn good the whole way too.  Super event, definitely a keeper on the race calendar.  What’s not to like?  Nice tech tee, a well thought out course, several choices of beer after the race, and there was even a food truck there where you could purchase food for a pretty reasonable price too - I think the brisket plate was like $5 for two plates – and the truck had plenty of other offerings too.  A very friendly 5K too, lots of great participants and, since it’s an out-and-back, lots of encouragement being given to each other along the way.  Just one fun event.  I usually manage to have a blast at this race – even last year, in spite of the injury I still had a great after-party.  If you are ever in San Antonio area at the end of March, definitely do this one, I bet you would really enjoy it.

MUCHO thanks also to all folks that made this one possible for we participants; the sponsors, the volunteers, the law enforcement/security folks out there for us, all the surrounding course businesses and the residents of Helotes for letting us invade their space for a few hours, et al – everyone who had an involvement with this event.  THANK YOU.

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Nice job and report!  Glad you were able to celebrate coming back from your injury.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page