Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins (Read 18 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I think just an easy/streak run for me today.  Intervals were hard yesterday and I have a 5 mile tempo run tomorrow.  This Ryan Hall plan is kicking my ass =P  I think for the most part it is hard because I've grown accustomed to 100% easy running.  But I'm not going to get any faster without a whole lot of hard work!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

SheCan

Morning Sapf... yeah, easy runs are what our bases are built of, but it sounds like you're doing good with the harder, faster stuff now.

Jerry-- woooohoooo-- well just let me know!

Ginny--- I love the lost dutchman and have ran it 3 times.  Its a good race.  Wish I felt I could be ready to run it with you this year.   Good luck with your training and weather.  I know you'll do great.

Docket-- Don't work too hard!  Is hubby still running with you?

Zel-- enjoy your unwinding!

Waves @ everyone else!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have another run tonight.  Sick with a cold, though, so my allergy shot is out.

Jill, nice job on the intervals and keeping it easy today is the best thing you can do in between.

She Can, he runs with me 2-3 times a week, thanks for remembering!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Morning!  I have another run tonight.  Sick with a cold, though, so my allergy shot is out.

Jill, nice job on the intervals and keeping it easy today is the best thing you can do in between.

She Can, he runs with me 2-3 times a week, thanks for remembering!

Running with sick / cold - ugh...   such a mix of decision

- run & feel better (during the run) with breathing, but may hurt your immune and get sicker.

- don't run & feel blah and lethargic and can't breathe at all... but possible get better quicker?

Morning Pens!

I think just an easy/streak run for me today.  Intervals were hard yesterday and I have a 5 mile tempo run tomorrow.  This Ryan Hall plan is kicking my ass =P  I think for the most part it is hard because I've grown accustomed to 100% easy running.  But I'm not going to get any faster without a whole lot of hard work!

yup - speedwork is definitely tough when you are not used to it - coupled with needing to continue to run (I heavily condone recovery runs even if I feel like a slug)

What does Mr. Hall have on the plan for today?   (I would suggest easy / recovery - distance that is easy and comfortable)

Docket_Rocket

It depends, Sly.  I ran yesterday and didn't feel worse and if it's asthma instead of a cold, not running is not going to accelerate it.  I decided to take today off, though.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Damaris - as much as you've been stressing the body, between races, travel and asthma, taking a break today is probably the smartest thing to do right now.

Jill - that's a hard plan, having intervals and tempo and long run in the same week.  Is it the HM plan or another? Should help your speed though.

Cherie - maybe you could do the 8k trail race, the 10k or the HM?

Another rainy day here, so I did intervals on the TM.  It's the first time in a long time, so I was surprised that I did as well as I did. With the hamstring injury, every time I tried to do any speedwork it hurt, so I've avoided it for the past year aside from occasional strides or fartlek runs. Total distance was 6 miles.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

RD.  When I came home from the dentist, the novacaine was still in me, so I took a beer and napped.

From the Internet.

Cherie! Hi! Big grin Was wondering where you'd gone a couple weeks ago! Glad to see you around again.

I ran a mystery number of miles in the dark and the rain. Took me FOR. EVER. to decide what to wear in that junk but once I got out the door it wasn't so bad.

After much deliberation I think I'm leaning toward running the hilly half, and if I end up not happy with my time I'll run my backup half at the end of May. Coach keeps telling me to run more hills anyway, so I should be pretty well prepared for it if I suck it up and start prioritizing them!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

RD.  When I came home from the dentist, the novacaine was still in me, so I took a beer and napped.

Novocain and beer - not sure if that is an intense mix or not, but sounds interesting.

GinnyinPA

The hard part is keeping it from dribbling down your chin if your lips don't work right. I hope the numbness is gone.

Zelanie

I prefer novocain and running, because it's one of the few things you can do where drooling might not be noticed.