Beginners and Beyond

President's Day Weekend Penguins (Read 14 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

Anyone off on Monday?

It's a beautiful sunny day here - supposed to get up to 65, which may feel too warm when I run.  I'm going to try to meet the Beer Runners midway on my MLR.  I went into town last week to meet them, but had the date wrong.  I think this is the real day, but we'll see.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I am off!

My run/walk last night was scary.  1.3 miles and everything was OK when my IT cracked/popped.  Nothing major but it scared the shit out of me last night. I walked back home.  Hamstring is tighter than normal (both ITB and hamstring have been super tight since the injury), so I have to work on loosening it up today.

Pilates and a bike ride.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

I would have had it off except for the snow/ice days we had off, so I'll be working.  I ran 10 with my friend today, and 9.5 with her last night.  Last night, we went to her house and did a big loop.  Today she came to mine and we did a double out-and-back so that I could get the dogs out but drop them back at home after 6. I'm in this vicious cycle where I don't get enough miles in during the week and then I cram a bunch of mileage into the weekends.  It's not ideal, but on the other hand, I had a good time on both runs.

Ginny, were you able to meet up with the beer runners?  65 would feel warm to me too at this point I think.  It was 50 today which felt about perfect.

D- That does sound scary! Glad it seems OK.  I'd think there's a bunch of stuff that might have to readjust after the time off.  Hopefully that's all that was.

GinnyinPA

Z - There was enough wind that it didn't feel too hot, but not so much that it made the run difficult. We'll see how it feels when I'm doing my 20 tomorrow. I met with the group, but ended up running alone because my pace didn't match anybody else's. Too slow for the fast folks, and too fast for the slow ones. Still, I got to say hello to a lot of folks on the way back and enjoyed conversation afterwards with some new people.

D - I hope your tight leg feels better now.

Zelanie

Too slow for the fast folks, and too fast for the slow ones.

This is me always.  Except that maybe I'm a lot closer to the slow ones these days, only they don't always show up.  So I think I AM the slow one!  Glad you got a chance to check in though, and good luck on the 20 tomorrow!

Docket_Rocket

Morning. Leg feels better so I might try a run/walk later.  Unfortunately, I overdid the right quad at Pilates and that is sore as hell. Hoping it does not make me rely on my bad leg during the run/walk.  We'll see.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

D - maybe rolling it will help, before your run.  Or possibly the walking will loosen it up. Good luck.

Docket_Rocket

I have been rolling it but will definitely do that before I attempt the run. It feels tight or maybe over stretched?  We have been doing some pretty advanced stuff in Pilates even if not jumping stuff, so I probably thought I was a Pilates guru and over reached.  Ha.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Terrible 20 mile run today. Beautiful day though, so it wasn't all bad.

Zelanie

Ginny, I'm sorry you had such a rough day.  Good job sticking it out to the end!

I had a tired and hungry run today myself.  Luckily I only had to run 9.  I took a few walk breaks even to get that done.

Docket_Rocket

Sorry about the run, Ginny.

Z, nice job on the run even if it was tough.

Damaris

Fundraising Page