Beginners and Beyond

Saturdailies (Read 23 times)

Just starting this because someone has to. Have not done anything yet, but will go on a very short run in a little bit, then pick up my race packet.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Morning. I have 5 at some point. Fall weather is here and I am very happy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Pedaled the bike for 24 minutes (exactly!) this morning. My slight sinus thing has continued so popped another Mucinex this morning. I'm hoping it doesn't impair my super fast pace!

Picked up my bib yesterday...#192 if anyone wants to track or check the final #s on the debacle I sense is coming. Not sure if tracking is available on the web site or just the app. Otherwise, I'll report back sometime post race.

I shouldn't have weather for an excuse: looks like 47 at the start warming to about 53 by the finish with light winds.

I'm surprised every time I've done a marathon (this will be #4) how stressed out I get before. I was a mess yesterday...couldn't stop thinking about what I needed to do, how I didn't feel great, short sleeves or long, etc. Feel a little better today but I am ready to get this done and enjoy a post-race chow down (assuming I can sit/stand)! Guess I need to relax and watch some college football...

Pedaled the bike for 24 minutes (exactly!) this morning. My slight sinus thing has continued so popped another Mucinex this morning. I'm hoping it doesn't impair my super fast pace!

Picked up my bib yesterday...#192 if anyone wants to track or check the final #s on the debacle I sense is coming. Not sure if tracking is available on the web site or just the app. Otherwise, I'll report back sometime post race.

I shouldn't have weather for an excuse: looks like 47 at the start warming to about 53 by the finish with light winds.

I'm surprised every time I've done a marathon (this will be #4) how stressed out I get before. I was a mess yesterday...couldn't stop thinking about what I needed to do, how I didn't feel great, short sleeves or long, etc. Feel a little better today but I am ready to get this done and enjoy a post-race chow down (assuming I can sit/stand)! Guess I need to relax and watch some college football...

Doesn’t that usually increase your stress level?

Good luck! You’ve done the work, the hay’s in the barn and all that. What you need to do is just show up on time. You’ll just take whatever the day brings you and race the shit out of it. 
          And 47-53 is def short sleeves for me. Maybe a throwaway LS shirt for the start.

Dave

GinnyinPA

Wolvmar and Dave - good luck with your races tomorrow. Have fun!

Docket_Rocket

Good luck tomorrow, Wolvmar!

Good luck, Dave!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hang out and do nothin’ day… old son visiting… I was hoping he wanted to see Bond but he wants to just hang and watch college football

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Good luck, Dave!

+1

Six easy for me this morning.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

LRB

My pre-race disposition is more business-like but each of us has a different way of handling things. The fact that this is something that's happened before for you is a good thing, all systems are go!

Running a big city marathon or any marathon for that matter is pretty cool. Despite it being my worst distance there was always something special about race day morning that the other distances couldn't match.

Anyway, you've overcome a ton of obstacles to make it to this point so hopefully there is a moment before you cross that line where you can acknowledge and appreciate that and soak in the moment. You've come a long way baby and there are only 26.2 miles to go, good luck!

LRB

I ran 5.

It was 55 ish when I went out and felt great in the shade but not so much under the sun. I'm not going to complain about the unusually warm temps we've had but it would be nice to get some clear skies so I can play with my new telescope. I took delivery of the stupid thing over two weeks ago and we've had nothing but thick cloud cover ever since!

4 miles.

Thanks people. This is my first half since the same race 2 years ago, which was my PR. I’ve actually run this half twice, plus their full once, and ran a PR every time. In fact the full is what got me into Boston. It’s flat and the weather is is usually good this time of year. Tomorrow is low 50s with probably some rain. Bodes well! But I have no idea what kind of racing shape I’m in. I was feeling very sluggish for a long time this year, but just in the past few weeks I’ve been feeling a bit faster. So we’ll see; I’d like to go for it, but will play it by feel. Except I have no memory of what HM effort feels like. 

Dave

Running a big city marathon or any marathon for that matter is pretty cool. Despite it being my worst distance there was always something special about race day morning that the other distances couldn't match.

+1. And the Freep is a particularly cool race! Although not sure what it’s going to be like with the course changes, without the border crossings. I wouldn’t miss the tunnel, but the sunrise on the bridge is something special, as is the crowd support for those few miles through Windsor.

Dave

sdWhiskers

12 miles with RP along the coast. We started in the dark like usual but it was already getting warm and super dry. High 90 and current humidity is 13%. Which means I need to blow my nose a ton and drink more than usual.

Considering that all running felt like garbage a few weeks ago, I'm drastically better now. Don't get me wrong, the last mile was a slog but importantly, the first 10 felt pretty great. Progress.

sdWhiskers

Good luck, Dave!

+1

Every race is a gift these days so have some fun out there!

12 miles with RP along the coast. We started in the dark like usual but it was already getting warm and super dry. High 90 and current humidity is 13%. Which means I need to blow my nose a ton and drink more than usual.

Considering that all running felt like garbage a few weeks ago, I'm drastically better now. Don't get me wrong, the last mile was a slog but importantly, the first 10 felt pretty great. Progress.

Good news!

Dave