Beginners and Beyond

Run for Meg (Read 105 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.wric.com/story/24451176/thousands-will-run-in-honor-of-meg-menzies

This is the runner who was killed by the drunk driver, here is the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/489458451159627/?previousaction=join&source=1

Saturday isn't a running day for me, but if I can get out for even a mile I will.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Robert31320

Team TJ

I will be running this afternoon with her in mind.

Don't drink and drive!

Running for TJ because he can't.

RSX

I will be running 6 in an hour

happylily

I will be running for myself, with Meg in mind. I will try to remember just how fortunate I am to be alive and healthy, able to do something I love so much. I will remember to be grateful, because all this could be taken away from me at any moment, like it was for Meg.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

I will be running for myself, with Meg in mind. I will try to remember just how fortunate I am to be alive and healthy, able to do something I love so much. I will remember to be grateful, because all this could be taken away from me at any moment, like it was for Meg.

That's kind of my approach as well.  I can't run "for" anyone else.  I run for me.  I can be grateful that, even when my hamstring hurts and even when I'm not training the way I'd like, I still have the ability to get out there and run.  I can be grateful because my ability to run can be taken away in a flash even from something as benign as stepping off the side of the road and tearing up an ankle (which I very nearly did on one occasion).  If I lived in her community, I would readily join in a memorial run in her honor and kind of hope that one of these days, 40 or 50 years down the road, a few people in my area get together on some Saturday or Sunday morning and put in a few miles in honor of the old fart that had been running "forever."

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Did my 10.5 for her this morning.

Marjorie

Tar Heel Mom

kween

5 miles for Meg today. I pinned this logo to my shirt:

I don't know what to say to those of you "can't run for anyone else."

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Love the Half

The assertion that I am running "for" someone who is deceased is a deceptively selfish act.  If all I do is make the assertion that I am running "for" Meg or running "for" some other person who is dead, I accomplish absolutely nothing other than improving my aerobic capacity a bit.  That's not a bad thing but it does nothing for the dead person.  All it does is make me feel better about myself - especially if I publicly announce that I ran "for" this person.  Perhaps I am inspired by them and I wouldn't have run otherwise.  All well and good but I'm still not running "for" them.  Instead, I am running because that person's death provided me with the motivation I needed to head out the door.  Running "because" of someone is different than running "for" them.  I can't do anything for Meg nor can anyone else.  She is gone and nothing will bring her back.  At best, I can say that I am running in memory "of" that person - although if I didn't know that person when he/she was alive, I think that's a bit disingenuous.

It is possible to run "for" someone else in certain circumstances.  Perhaps I am running in a fundraising event and the proceeds of that event will benefit a person who needs some expensive medical procedure and, in the absence of this event, I would not have raced that day.  Then, I can legitimately say that I am running "for" someone.  Perhaps a friend wants to run in a race but won't do it unless I join him and I would not have run the race on my own.  In that case, I can say that I am running "for" my friend.

It is fair to say that I thought of someone while running but I don't think I can even say I ran in someone's honor unless I knew them in some way while they were alive.  We don't like to admit it but running is inherently a selfish act.  When I run, I essentially cut myself off from the outside world.  If there is a crisis at work, tough shit.  I'm out running and my boss can't reach me.  If my child is having some medical emergency and my wife is rushing her to the emergency room, tough shit.  I'm out running and she can't reach me.  The thousands of dollars I spend on running gear and races each year could easily be spent on my children.  Well, tough shit kids.  I'm selfishly spending it on something that is completely unnecessary given that I could experience all of the health benefits I get from running by going out and walking vigorously for 30-40 minutes every day.  I selfishly waste plenty of Saturdays that could be spent with my kids by racing instead.

Admittedly, there are benefits.  Despite being 51 years old, I can keep up with my 8 and 4 year old children and, in all likelihood, will still be able to do so 10 years from now.  I see plenty of parents who are younger than me who gasp after trying to run across a schoolyard with a child.  Exercise greatly increases the chances that I will be around to help guide my children into adulthood.  Exercise greatly increases the chances that if my children have children, they will know their grandparents.  Not only that, their grandfather may well be able to run around with them even though he's in his 80's.  But, those benefits could easily be achieved without the selfishness of running 50-70 miles per week and racing 10-15 times each year.

Running is a selfish act.  I'm just honest enough to admit it.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

THM, because I said I will run "with" her in my heart/mind, instead of "for" her, you feel compelled to judge me? I think the two expressions mean the same thing, anyway. We both know that our running today does not change anything for her. She's dead. But we can use her death to reflect on the value of life, how lucky we are to be able to run, and maybe we can find it in ourselves to be a little kinder to another human being around us, maybe even a stranger, because we don't know how long they have, or how long we have. That's what thinking about Meg does to me. It does not mean that I am a cold person if I do not like to use the words "run for". It's just a different vocabulary that I am using.

happylily

LTH beat me to an explanation. In a more wordy way.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I think the premise calls for a much simpler, easily digested reply.  There are times when propositions are expounded upon when the desired result is simply a less complicated one.

I hope no one here takes offense as Brad/Julie attempt to specify their objective for the "support" being called upon in the premise of this thread.  Brad tends to do this a lot & anyone who's known him here for a while knows that's just simply the case.

I will run today in support of the idea that Meg's death is tragic.

I will run for Meg spiritually as much as I run for me biologically. (Not many here much more thankful than me as I was out for 3 months!)

I will run in remembrance as sincerely as I would have certainly NOT had a single thought about Meg today except for FreeSoul's reminder here in starting this thread.

It's all good & all means the same thing, it's just that internet forums are a special place with special people in it.

Randy

happylily

Thank you, Randy. Well said. We all mean well, even if we express ourselves different ways.

Love the Half

Mind you, I absolutely loved this story so I'm not completely heartless.  This, to me, is a meaningful way to honor someone.

Jim's Last Group Run

P.S.  I'm a lawyer.  I will always use more words even when fewer will suffice.  

RSX

THM, because I said I will run "with" her in my heart/mind, instead of "for" her, you feel compelled to judge me? I think the two expressions mean the same thing, anyway. We both know that our running today does not change anything for her. She's dead. But we can use her death to reflect on the value of life, how lucky we are to be able to run, and maybe we can find it in ourselves to be a little kinder to another human being around us, maybe even a stranger, because we don't know how long they have, or how long we have. That's what thinking about Meg does to me. It does not mean that I am a cold person if I do not like to use the words "run for". It's just a different vocabulary that I am using.

I missed her comment before it was edited. I would have run today anyway but as I did thought how lucky I am to be able to, and reflected on what I read about her a bit. I feel bad for her, and family but really wasn't trying to make any statement beyond that.

SlowNUnsteady

I live in Richmond and have been able to spend time with people who are close to Meg's family and Meg -- although we were on the same training team, I really didn't know her other than to recognize her face as someone on the team.  In this case,you are running "for" those she left behind as much as anything.  Her mother in particular has expressed more than once how touched she is by the idea that people all over the world are thinking of her daughter and running today. Her mom even joined us on the streets today.  So it says, in a small way, to her husband and mother and three kids that she made a difference to some of us -- her passing was noticed and other people who loved the same thing she did were thinking of her.  Many people who never ran a day before in their life gave it a shot today, in her name.  From everything I've learned about her from her friends in the past week, I'm pretty sure she would have loved that.

Is it also just a symbolic gesture that doesn't cost much and therefore doesn't accomplish much?  I suppose so.  However, it was a powerful thing to be out on the streets of Richmond today -- everywhere you looked people were running or walking, wearing blue clothing and being kind to one another.  I'm usually as cynical as anyone you would hope to meet, but it was hard not to feel something out there today.