Beginners and Beyond

Waynesville Main Street Mile RR (Read 36 times)

No more marathons

Cool AG award!  Nice race, Bluesky!  So how did it feel?  What it as terrible awful just horrible a running experience as I would imagine it to be?

Babs, I'd like to say it was, but in retrospect I may have dogged it a bit at the start.  Just didn't know what kind of shape I was in, and how much impact all that downhill would make.  It really wasn't until that final quarter that I put it all out there.  And nowhere in this race was I doing the death wheeze that is typical for me toward the end of an all out 5K.

There was a 14 yo who ran 4:53 and I heard his coach talking to him after the race (middle school FFS).  He was telling him that the time on this course was what he should expect to run on the track.  Not sure I buy that, but I've always considered myself to be a good downhill runner.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Nice splits!

I had to go back and look at my best 1 mile and corresponding splits:

1/4:     +0

1/2:     +9 Sec

3/4:     +12 sec

1 mile:+5 sec

Yours are much prettier!

Ha, I'm sure nothing like that.  But you make a good point - that first quarter can make or break you.  My best time for a track mile was more than three decades ago, and try as I might I just could not coax that last few seconds out to go under 5.  I'd need to go check some old log books (dust them off and knock the spiders off) but I suspect my splits were something along the lines of 73, 75, 78, 77.  I did record a 4:57 on a road mile, but I question the accuracy of the distance, especially since I set my 5K PR about an hour before the mile race.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Nice!  Road miles are freaking AWESOME.  I get to do FIVE this year (a series, plus one on the track), after there only being ONE available in seasons past.

So much more fun than the FML of 5Ks.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page