Beginners and Beyond

Just a rant about the "miracles" of weight loss.... (Read 218 times)

yeoldefatguy

Yes, exercise and diet is important, but don't forget to take your Hydroxycut and Xenadrine. I actually took Hydroxycut for a month to see what would happen. I seemed to see floaters a lot and shit constantly, yet I only lost one pound. It was an interesting test.

MrNamtor

Yes, exercise and diet is important, but don't forget to take your Hydroxycut and Xenadrine. I actually took Hydroxycut for a month to see what would happen. I seemed to see floaters a lot and shit constantly, yet I only lost one pound. It was an interesting test.

You'd think with all that crapping you'd have lost more, I agree. I'd say you got ripped off.

Hip Redux

As I see it, there is a difference between "losing weight" and "being healthy".

If people "just" want to lose weight - which seems to be who these ads are targeting - there are a number of strict diets, powerful drugs and surgery options available that will likely get them there.    But what people should really look at is getting healthy.   That's where exercise becomes important, along with diet, and a strict interpretation of BMI less so.  If you are eating right and moving your body, you will settle into a normal-for-you body weight and you will feel better.

I know many "skinny" people who are unhealthy.  And I know quite a few "not skinny" people who are happy, healthy and active.

Unfortunately, I think people who are overweight and unhealthy and miss the point above tend to want to shed the weight - fast - and think that their body weight is the most important factor... and once that's fixed, that they will be healthy and happy.   Of course, that's not the case.   If they haven't learned how to be healthy, they will more often than not end up right back where they started.

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

"First, the intense exercisers were probably compensating for their extra activity by eating more food."

This is the problem, and why studies like that are flawed.  You can't just say that exercising doesn't help weight loss, because it absolutely does, but you have to also control your eating at the same time.  Give me a study where both groups are taking in the same amount of calories and one group is exercising while the other isn't, which one do you think is going to lose more weight?

I think there is a lot of truth in this. If we exercise and don't just eat more to compensate, we will lose more weight than someone who doesn't. It is all about the number of calories in vs the number of calories out. But what happens is, people who exercise to lose wight, but don't track calories, tend to over eat what they burned. One of my college students is always telling me about her working out. Last week she told me she had worked out for 45 minutes that day. But then she had eaten a bag of m&ms b/c she felt she deserved it after such a long workout. I would not be surprised if she negated any calorie burn, if not ate more calories from rewarding herself, than she burned.
          MrNamtor

I think there is a lot of truth in this. If we exercise and don't just eat more to compensate, we will lose more weight than someone who doesn't. It is all about the number of calories in vs the number of calories out. But what happens is, people who exercise to lose wight, but don't track calories, tend to over eat what they burned. One of my college students is always telling me about her working out. Last week she told me she had worked out for 45 minutes that day. But then she had eaten a bag of m&ms b/c she felt she deserved it after such a long workout. I would not be surprised if she negated any calorie burn, if not ate more calories from rewarding herself, than she burned.

Yup, this was my pattern for years. 1 hour workout followed by a couple slices of pepperoni pizza.

Love the Half

I frequently hear that exercise doesn't really help you lose weight yet I never lost weight until I started exercising and when I go to large races, I never see large people in the first few corrals.  At any rate, Garmin tells me I've burned 27,900 calories whilst running in the past 30 days and not all of my runs are on Garmin Connect.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

This made me LOL

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

For me the biggest effect exercise has on my weight is that it allows me room for those calories that I don't need, but realistically, I am going to eat anyway.

Sometimes I want to go out to a restaurant with my friends and enjoy the oversized portions instead of panicking about them. I want to dig into the snacks that my company provides for us every Friday afternoon. I want to enjoy the occasional good beer at the end of the day without skipping lunch to fit it into my calorie budget. Maybe I have the self-control to avoid these things, but that would suck.

Even my low running mileage and short bike commute to work are enough to make the difference between having to obsessively plan every bite in order to maintain my weight, and achieving the same result with a relaxed "don't overdo it too often" attitude.

Auhugh!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Simple formula: burn more calories than you eat. You can eat less, or exercise more. Some combination of both is probably the most ideal, especially for overall health. If you exercise a lot but eat more to compensate,and/or are eating the wrong things, then yes, it is unlikely you will lose weight because you are compensating for the calories burnt by eating more, thus you have not burnt more than you ate.

Case in point: In the past 9 years I have been exercising fairly regularly, but never with the frequency and consistency as I have in the past 6 months or so since I started running regularly. Now, between running and crosstraining, I am doing some form of exercise 6 days per week....even when I was in a consistent phase in the past, the most I'd do was 4 days per week. I didn't lose more than maybe 5 pounds in the last 6 months of increased exercise. The issue was I had gotten lazy with food....I was making little effort to eat healthy and control portions. I went on Weight Watchers on Tuesday. I have lost 3 pounds already. Lost almost as much in a week from taking in less calories, eating smarter, and controlling portions (in addition to exercise) than I did in 6 months of increased exercise alone.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GC100k

when I go to large races, I never see large people in the first few corrals. 

And the best basketball players tend to be tall, proving that playing basketball makes you grow taller.

Mmmmm...beer

And the best basketball players tend to be tall, proving that playing basketball makes you grow taller.

But fat people can become good runners, short people, well, they're just gonna have to deal with it. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Fact:  Certain humans have genetic advantages to excel in certain pastimes.

Completely unrelated fact:  Burning more calories than one takes in on a consistent basis will cause one to lose weight.

Coastal

The perfect diet product would allow you to eat even more high calorie food and still lose weight.

When I was going to weight watchers meetings (before switching to online) some of us were losing consistently.  Others weren't .  One question usually made in total shock was "Do you mean I'll have to eat like this all the time to keep the weight off?"  Those folks drop out.  There is no magic plan where one can lose weight then go back to a usual diet and not gain it all back.

MrNamtor

Burning more calories than one takes in on a consistent basis will cause one to lose weight.

I guess you never saw Hipfan's daily food intake.

Zelanie

DH is making pizza tonight for my birthday.  I asked for fresh pineapple, red onion, garlic, and sliced almonds.  Yum!  I suppose I'll have to post pictures now.