Beginners and Beyond

Be My Valentine 5K on the San Antonio Riverwalk (Read 14 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me. At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another. Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos. I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.  Also, mucho thanks to the folks at Running Ahead for giving me a 'home' for my many many MANY race reports and race photos.

My 11th race done in 2016 was Be My Valentine 5K held on Feb 14, 9:30 a.m. start time at VFW Post 76 on the San Antonio Riverwalk. This event was limited to around 500 participants and it sold out as it is a very popular race. Weather was cloudy/overcast, 57 degrees with a bit of a wind, and the humidity was nearly 100% but no rain ever did result during the 5K. Race put on by iaapweb.com, a very good locally owned-and-operated race management company.

Feb 14, 2016 was also mine and my wife's 31st wedding anniversary.  Happy anniversary my true love!

BEFORE THE START

With the expected large crowd, I made sure to arrive a bit early to get parking. Even so, the VFW area was already full of participants as I made my way in-and-out of the crowd taking various photos.

VFW Post 76, with flags flying - the oldest VFW Post in Texas

photo 012_zpsuvr3qctn.jpg

Large crowd already around the VFW

photo 020_zpsdywdaeua.jpg

Some of the participants, volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo 002_zpslng3n3ub.jpg

photo 004_zps74p6pxa8.jpg

Some folks from Team RWB on Fort Hood, Texas, and me with them

photo 005_zpstcol3hvt.jpg

photo 003_zpsrt8vfxfa.jpg

photo 006_zpsdid1xw2r.jpg

photo 007_zpsonevifif.jpg

photo 008_zpspmprtuvy.jpg

photo 009_zpsl2ahyeft.jpg

photo 010_zpswxjr72zc.jpg

photo 011_zpsceunkynb.jpg

Care Bear

photo 013_zpsfrmvkptr.jpg

photo 014_zpsvaypv8oh.jpg

The gentleman in green was our MC for this event

photo 016_zpsj5bzlruu.jpg

photo 017_zpsh2eeipiy.jpg

photo 018_zpsnfwe8po4.jpg

photo 019_zpsd48u9icv.jpg

Me and friend Bob of San Antonio Roadrunners

photo 015_zps9hn2suiv.jpg

photo 021_zpstvqojyqa.jpg

photo 022_zpswxo0errf.jpg

photo 023_zpsqbysc00k.jpg

Another great local race, which I will be participating in on Feb 20

photo 024_zps7c6hymv2.jpg

Me and pal, Bernadette

photo 026_zpswxyq33gq.jpg

photo 027_zpsbjvqqfuy.jpg

Our Music Man for the event

photo 030_zpsbjfem9em.jpg

Getting ready to start...ahead of me and behind me at the start

photo 028_zpspmlptefv.jpg

photo 029_zpsvafgly7b.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Our MC lined everyone up by time, calling out for 5-6 minutes runners to line up first…then he’d wait for them to get up there, and then call out the next time group to line up..and wait until they did, then the next group, and so forth; smart because it got everyone lined up properly according to their expected pace. Then it was out onto the street in front of the VFW, right turn, another right turn onto the next road, and then onto the San Antonio Riverwalk heading towards the Pearl Brewery area. Then it was across Josephine Street, back onto the Riverwalk alongside Brackenridge Golf Course, where we did an out-and-back loop, back across Josephine and onto the Riverwalk again – this time on the opposite side we came out on – and finishing up at the VFW. It was a nice course, a bit crowded at the start, so you couldn’t go out too fast unless you were one of the speedy front of the pack runners; by the time we got to the turn-around and got going back to the finish we were able to pick up the pace a bit more – at least where I was, this was the case. So I ended up with negative splits and a finish time of 32:02, missing 3rd in my age group by about 2 minutes, probably because I stopped a couple of times on the Riverwalk on the way to the finish to give a few dogs some treats; but it’s all good; it’s nice to place but not a priority for me as these days, my ‘golden years’ of running, I simply enjoy being more of a fun-runner. It’s certainly not for everyone, but it works for me. Each to his/her own.  My wife walked the course and finished in 48-something.

photo 031_zpslt7mniyz.jpg

photo 032_zpsgxzzwke6.jpg

photo 033_zpstuzbcwdv.jpg

OK, after I looked at this photo, it cracked me up; they reminded me of military running, they are all just about in-step as they move along

photo 034_zpsz3j0alm5.jpg

photo 035_zpsudlc9f2t.jpg

photo 037_zpsdzcqzoro.jpg

I've made the turn-around and am heading for the finish.  People coming toward me are going to the turn around.

Looking back at the turn-around

photo 039_zpsv7u62cxz.jpg

And ahead of me...

photo 038_zpsx2yvivpe.jpg

photo 040_zpsdergewjl.jpg

photo 041_zpspcw8peir.jpg

photo 042_zpsi3ulqrwz.jpg

photo 043_zpswc1vubnx.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Back into the crowd of finishers at the VFW, wandering around taking photos of the ‘happy finishers’, volunteers, supporters, etc.  Also enjoyed the post-race Alamo Beer and Kiolbassa sausage wraps.

This lady and I played leapfrog for the last mile or so, with her beating me into the finish by about 20 seconds or so

photo 044_zps6zk0relp.jpg

These ladies also did the same race I did on Feb 13; so today was a 'two-fer' for them for the weekend too.

photo 045_zps0ni4b9hs.jpg

photo 046_zps8k7wibnb.jpg

photo 047_zps60xb5tk3.jpg

photo 048_zpsuwzarnpv.jpg

photo 049_zpsymb8qmws.jpg

photo 050_zpscuobjukm.jpg

photo 051_zpsjq1c4r56.jpg

photo 052_zpsnbmyiivm.jpg

Mmm..Alamo Beer, as modeled by owner Eugene

photo 053_zps4nrnmhgk.jpg

Yeah, finally got mine...

photo 054_zps3gqxy0mn.jpg

photo 055_zpszlcelgus.jpg

photo 056_zpsqsdrp3pg.jpg

My very favorite lady, my lovely wife (left), and one of my favorite ladies, Sandra

photo 058_zpswqrjw7jc.jpg

photo 057_zpsjkexexrs.jpg

She and I were married on Feb 14, 1985.  Happy 31st Anniversary to my beautiful wife!

photo 059_zpsbkielyjo.jpg

photo 060_zpspr108nfw.jpg

photo 061_zpslrshe7cs.jpg

photo 063_zpsnslms0k9.jpg

photo 064_zps1irhcd56.jpg

photo 065_zps8kq1g6no.jpg

photo 066_zpsbr8eodzj.jpg

My friend, Paul and his true love, who is ever loyal

photo 068_zpsce5lomhz.jpg

The beautiful Ceci, Race Director and official photographer

photo 069_zpsxoumcnyp.jpg

photo 070_zpswlht1ubr.jpg

Cupid John

photo 071_zpswsgo4nvn.jpg

Cupid John has a way with the ladies..

photo 072_zpscgz27faq.jpg

photo 073_zpsubhssjsq.jpg

photo 074_zps7hbkisvw.jpg

photo 075_zpslsnlqmir.jpg

iaapweb.com crew - thanks for the race set up, timing, results, etc!

photo 076_zpstw7fki5b.jpg

photo 077_zps1e49qi0x.jpg

Our sausage ladies.  Thanks for the kiolbassa sausages, ladies!

photo 078_zps3bqvo59o.jpg

photo 081_zpszx4cq8g7.jpg

photo 082_zpspj4xapqa.jpg

photo 083_zpsh0cdipgw.jpg

photo 084_zpsaezowr0e.jpg

photo 085_zpst0uifb1u.jpg

photo 086_zpsvh5kbkws.jpg

photo 087_zpseupnlqyf.jpg

photo 088_zpsb68qpfkn.jpg

photo 089_zpsxipyvaqi.jpg

photo 090_zpscpaakqgz.jpg

photo 092_zpsaajifpfo.jpg

One day I am going to figure out a way to get my friend Arturo to smile in a photo

photo 093_zpsfwkcvkmc.jpg

Announcing and photographing the award winners...Ceci and our MC

photo 098_zpscosxzacl.jpg

My pal Bernadette got 2nd in her age group

photo 099_zpsxtisi1un.jpg

photo 100_zpscsjliusq.jpg

These two brothers got 1st and 2nd....

photo 101_zps54c5ayjw.jpg

Bob got first in his age group

photo 103_zpsilurg2we.jpg

Thanks, Cupids!

photo 105_zpstz0bzvnn.jpg

EPILOGUE

Love this event and have done it several times in the past. Lots of costumes, fun-time course, great after-party, nicely unique ‘valentine’ awards for the age group winners. Most certainly would do this one again and recommend it to my fellow runners, etc.

Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, etc, who were all out there for us participants today

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Bernadette has got to have more bling than a jewelry store! We'll need a picture report on that someday. Cool

Ric-G

fun pics as usual scotty---but more importantly, happy anniversary!

marathon pr - 3:16

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good call not wearing the "I'm Single" race shirt on your anniversary.  Happy Anniversary to you and Gail.