Beginners and Beyond

This may be the best motivational video ever (Read 151 times)

Love the Half

Yeah, I'm admittedly a geek but I loved this

23 1/2 hours

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Very well done. Thanks for sharing.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Well, yeah, he quoted Jerry Garcia in it. Of course it's the best.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Philliefan33

Nice. I wish I could share it with my father without being accused of nagging....

Mmmmm...beer

Good stuff.  Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRS

Chasing Muses

This is great and I posted it on FB with a few intended targets in my family. But he does say one thing, a passing sentence, that I wish he hadn't. At around the 6:01 mark he mentions taking the stairs or taking an earlier bus stop.This is always nails on the chalkboard stuff for me.  Granted those are much better habits, taking the stairs is obviously better than the elevator. But it undermines a bit the overall message about getting 30 minutes a day, because a wanting ear will hear "so if I just take the stairs once or twice a day, I'll be in good shape." Otherwise, I loved it!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Pen work and art work are too cool.  Seen whiteboard stuff like this before and my eyes are mesmerized, especially by the perfect penmanship!

So, sounds like we need to all stop running and just start walking.

/thread.

Randy

Revenge of the Nerd

Great message for  a society that seeks the parking spot nearest the mall.  The accelerated pace of the whiteboard work made it seem longer than 9 minutes.  Thanks for posting!

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Revenge of the Nerd

THM: Jerry's quote seems out of place in this context.  It makes him sound like the poster boy for apathy.  Wink

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Cool.  I think for the average person, it needs to be shorter. Loved the animation though.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

LRB

A million years ago, while still in the embryo stage of my fitness life,  I did 20 minute sessions on the exercise bike or walking on the treadmill (that's right, I used to do that!) a couple of days a week before work.

My life was so hectic back then, that a.m. workouts were the only way to ensure I could get my cardio on.

Over the years, as the kids grew up, started driving themselves to school (yes!) and ultimately flew away, I was able to extend my workout time to as much as two hours before work.

We often talk on the forums about morning vs evening running and for me, my habit of running in the morning goes back to a time in my life when all I could spare out of a 24 hour day was 20 stinking minutes, and just barely!

The video really doesn't apply to any of us on the forums, but for our friends and family when put the way he asks that question, they would be hard pressed to say no to giving something of themselves towards fitness out of 24 hours.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

THM: Jerry's quote seems out of place in this context.  It makes him sound like the poster boy for apathy.  Wink

WE DO NOT SAY NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT JERRY.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Love the Half

I think the stairs or walk the extra block thing can help if people understand that you need to get in at least 10 minutes of continuous activity.  There is some evidence that people who consistently exercise for at least 10 continuous minutes, 4-5 days per week, have some health benefits over those who are completely sedentary.  There is also evidence that three 10 minute sessions per day can be as effective as one 30 minute session as long as the 10 minute session is at least moderately intense (we're talking recovery jog or brisk walk here).  LRB's 20 minutes was enough to gain him substantial benefits over someone who doesn't exercise at all.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mostly harmless

WE DO NOT SAY NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT JERRY.

^^ This made me laugh. You sound just like my sister.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

LTH, thanks for sharing

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott