Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 43 Let Freedom Run 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252043%2520Race%2520for%2520Freedom%25205K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 43rd race of 2019 was Let Freedom Run 5K held on July 4.  Put on by Purnell Racing, this event was held in Schertz, Texas.  Starting at 9:15 a..m., participants ran or walked the Schertz 4th of July parade route that started shortly after the run started.  This is a fun event with lots of parade watchers cheering you on as you run or walk along the route. If I remember correctly, this event supported the families of our fallen military and families of wounded warriors.

We got lucky on the weather this year.  Last year was a ‘heat wave’ with bright sunshine and temps already near 90 at the start time.  This year we had lots of cloud cover, a pretty nice breeze blowing, fairly mild humidity for a July morning in Texas, and temp of upper 70s at the start time.  I arrived with about 45 minutes to go to the start time, got my race packet and then got some pre-start photos.

Me and 3 friends pre-start

photo IMG_0683_zpscehgndd5.jpg

MC Mark Purnell (left)

photo IMG_0684_zps0z2fovaw.jpg

Race Direct John Purnell, daughter Sherri Purnell, and Dog Purnell.  Yep, this event is a family affair, fer sher.

photo IMG_0687_zps3uxn6k1n.jpg

Griill masters prepping food for post-race.  Thanks!

photo IMG_0678_zpsi0ygpw4b.jpg

Race Day Registration volunteers

photo IMG_0680_zpsx14cq1dn.jpg

photo IMG_0720_zpseljc2zaz.jpg

Various participants,  supporters, volunteers - some very colorful for the occasion

photo IMG_0679_zps8xj76vv3.jpg

photo IMG_0681_zpswo7dkxcm.jpg

photo IMG_0685_zpsymbikefa.jpg

photo IMG_0688_zps0alwdrr3.jpg

photo IMG_0689_zpsztbhujjy.jpg

photo IMG_0691_zpsunwgcthy.jpg

photo IMG_0692_zpsakrtkmco.jpg

photo IMG_0693_zpsu7a31o9s.jpg

photo IMG_0694_zps1dpdi1km.jpg

In the start crowd

photo IMG_0697_zps6hwpmsxg.jpg

photo IMG_0695_zps4etwi88h.jpg

photo IMG_0696_zpsrqk3cmin.jpg

ON THE COURSE

This course just about all flat, with one short incline near the halfway point. Nothing on the course you can really call a hill. We started from the Schertz Civic Center and the proceeded  down the main drag – Schertz Parkway – in front of hundreds of spectators waiting for the parade and cheering us on as we  went;  high-and-low fiving lots of kids along the way; and I also stopped to give a doggie treat to any doggie I saw in the crowd, lol, so probably killed my time with that, but who cares, it was fun.  Made a right turn onto a long road – don’t remember the name of it – on which we encountered the parade MC at his spot and lots more cheering people.  The turn-off from this road was near the half-way point and course water station  - and the only incline on the course – and that took us into a very nice neighborhood area with wide streets, shade trees, nice houses.  Crowd was thinned out a bit here, but still several folks cheering us on. After going through this area, we exited the neighborhood to come out back in front of the Civic Center and back to the finish line the way we had started out. Very nicely designed course with lots of room for everyone.  I think had around 80 or 90 participants for this one.  I ended up with a chip time of 34:33, which was good enough for 2nd in my 60 – 64 age group.

Going down Schertz Parkway

photo IMG_0698_zpsruy4y8p7.jpg

photo IMG_0699_zpshc9pjayi.jpg

photo IMG_0700_zpsgq5vmfn7.jpg

photo IMG_0701_zpsnn1bt0po.jpg

photo IMG_0702_zps7hkvtwow.jpg

Right where that police vehicle is, we turned right to go onto the 2nd road of the course

photo IMG_0703_zpsxygvlb6d.jpg

photo IMG_0704_zpsgkfkq6fz.jpg

Road #2 of the course - all the speedy people are loooong gone from where I am, lol

photo IMG_0705_zpsofrrscry.jpg

photo IMG_0706_zpsaljdbxlk.jpg

photo IMG_0707_zpsjhf0gnlm.jpg

This guy was the winner for 70+ age group

photo IMG_0708_zpsmi5nuqon.jpg

photo IMG_0709_zpsx0rcbk7f.jpg

Street #3 of the course, that took us into a very nice neighborhood area

Up the only "hill" on the course - about 25 yards, so pretty short

photo IMG_0710_zpsvrsgbhdm.jpg

Volunteers on the course.  We turned on this road, took us down a neighborhood street and then back out to Civic Center, where we headed to the finish.

photo IMG_0711_zpszrcf9htu.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water and a banana, did a cool down walk, sipping and eating.  There was also grilled sausage wraps, quite good, compliments to our grill-masters.   Another nice touch for a Texas July morning race, after you crossed the finish line there was a water sprinkler you had the option of going through to help you with your post-race cool down.  After relaxing a bit, I was up and going around getting post-race photos.

A few people coming into the finish

photo IMG_0712_zpsjseoukjf.jpg

photo IMG_0713_zpsz7iclon0.jpg

photo IMG_0714_zpstgevuzku.jpg

photo IMG_0715_zps2ln6wfis.jpg

photo IMG_0716_zpsewlfs9js.jpg

Super close-up finish...waited too long to snap the photo to get a longer view

photo IMG_0717_zps9rlf3l9w.jpg

Happy finishers et al....

photo IMG_0718_zpsagblpqwn.jpg

photo IMG_0719_zps0w6jvgq3.jpg

photo IMG_0721_zpsdr8oha2m.jpg

photo IMG_0722_zpszviy2oii.jpg

photo IMG_0723_zpsj8jcdqon.jpg

photo IMG_0724_zpsybyo7dgz.jpg

photo IMG_0725_zpssvg6ignz.jpg

photo IMG_0726_zpswdc4foiw.jpg

photo IMG_0727_zpsh4tndwua.jpg

photo IMG_0731_zpsnkb7f6o8.jpg

photo IMG_0729_zps39hqfmel.jpg

EPILOGUE

Purnell Racing did a great job of laying out this course – I sometimes run this as a training run during the week – and Mark Purnell did his usual great job of race MC.  Very nice quality race shirts; I actually gave mine away to a young lady who really wanted a race shirt, but they had run out by the time some people were doing race day registration.  I didn’t mind, since I do so many races each year, I have umpteen race shirts in my closet and I already have a ‘favorite shirt” of this event from a past time I did this one; so I was glad to be able to help the young lady out.  Nice post-race goodies, lots of participant and supporter camaraderie pre-and-post race, fun time interacting with the parade spectators.  If you have not done this one before, definitely put it on your race calendar if you live in the area, or are visiting t this time, and give it a run (pun intended), I am sure you will enjoy yourself.

Mucho thanks to all the people and the organizations that made this one happen for we participants, including Purnell Sports, the Purnell family, police officers out there on the course for us, all the volunteers and the sponsors, and anyone I may have missed or did not mention here. Thank you all so much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt