Beginners and Beyond

Apparently, you can get hurt while exercising even if you're not jogging (Read 172 times)

Love the Half

Be careful out there folks.

Cyclist Hit by Car

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

We had a 74 year old runner /cyclist killed on his bike a couple months ago. He had rode from coast to coast and was just out for a ride on the country roads.........one has to always be aware of those around you.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Better I Leave

Tragic...**sigh**. I refuse to run on the roads up here after dark. They're scary enough during daylight with blind curves and no shoulders. I love living in the mountains, but the roads really aren't "runner friendly". I either have to drive to my fav trailheads or I hit the TM.

Jnfr Jogs

Awful.  Here in SE Texas, the last time a cyclist was hit and killed on his bike the write-up about it in the local paper online edition had about 14 comments following it - each a variation of "well, what the hell did the idiot expect, ridin' his bike in the street like that?"  Even if you can get through to people that bikes have a right to share the road, the blame is always put on "that idiot that was out there right in the street, what with all the traffic and everything!"

I have never gone for a run on the roads here. I always drive to a trail - which I share with the cyclists that value their lives, too.

Love the Half

I am fortunate in being able to do my running on residential streets.  I was in Columbus, OH once and thought I'd mapped out a fairly safe route.  It turned out that my route led me down a main road and in one place I was pressed up against the guardrail with nothing but about six inches of pavement between me and the traffic.  Scared the hell out of me and I swore I'd never run on a strange route like that again.  I live in the area where this guy got hit and the shoulders are 10 feet wide.  Of course, the article doesn't give any details so it's hard to tell what happened.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Jess runs for bacon

We had a guy a year or two ago that got hit on a bridge on his way to work (riding his bike) and he was killed. He was a huge proponent of bike safety, it was really sad. The pedestrian walk on the bridge was closed, so they put up a berm along the bridge to make a path for pedestrians, which makes the road smaller. Bikes have very little room to maneuver. Then a month later another bicyclist was hit. The car tried to run off but a bus and another car blocked his escape. The bicyclist was OK though.

They have a bike memorial up for the first bicyclist. We ran past it at the RW Half. Very sad.

paulski66

miscreant

What the hell is the point of this thread?

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

delicate flower

DW got hit by a car while biking a few years ago...1.9 miles into her first ride on her new carbon fiber Trek Madone.  Bike destroyed, wife OK (other than some cuts and bruises).  I'd be curious to see what happened to the insurance rates of the teen that hit her ("I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention!").

<3

GinnyinPA

Two friends, husband and wife, were killed in bike accidents about a year apart.  In one the 16 year old driver was given probation.  A couple of years later, he hit another bicyclist.  Scary.  I used to do a lot of bicycling, but had a couple of close calls with people making turns who just weren't watching for bikes, so I stopped riding.

I live in an area without sidewalks or shoulders, so I end up jumping into the ditch or up on people's lawns when cars get too close.  Mostly they swerve wide around me, but I'm learning about when the best times to run are (i.e. not when school is letting out).

Docket_Rocket

Very sad. W e've had at least 2 deaths of cyclists around here last year and one of them I knew from my running group.  Miami is one of the top 3 pedestrian unfriendly cities in the US and it shows.

People in miami are so bad they try to kill me during daylight hours.

Tragic...**sigh**. I refuse to run on the roads up here after dark. They're scary enough during daylight with blind curves and no shoulders. I love living in the mountains, but the roads really aren't "runner friendly". I either have to drive to my fav trailheads or I hit the TM.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

I always thought cycling more dangerous than running.  This could be colored by the fact the Florida is #1 in cyclist fatalities.

Again, thankful for my recreation trail.

Docket_Rocket

That too.  Ugh.

I always thought cycling more dangerous than running.  This could be colored by the fact the Florida is #1 in cyclist fatalities.

Again, thankful for my recreation trail.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Chairman

What the hell is the point of this thread?

I guess LTH thought the public wasn't aware that sometimes road cyclists get hit by cars and thought he'd educate us.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

happylily

So sad...

We lost 6 cyclists two years ago. A local team training for a triathlon. Narrow country road, about 10 miles from my town. No traffic, no one was drunk. Just a sad accident. A cyclist pulled out on the middle of the road, a little too much, just as a pickup truck was coming. There was a bowling effect. All died. The driver had to be taken to a hospital to be treated for shock. I'm sure his life will never be the same...

A bit different, but still cycling related. At age 16, I was coming back on my bike, with my GF, from a camping trip to Lake Placid, NY. I was exhausted and had not eaten well for 4 days (we had a $4 a day budget for food. :-)). I fell asleep on my bike, just after crossing the border, and my foot got caught on something (one of the wheels? Since I was sleeping,  all I know is that I lost my shoe). I was thrown something like 20 feet away (or maybe I remember wrong, but it seemed far at the time).We didn't wear helmets back then. No one did. Fortunately, I only had a cut on my chin and it did not leave a scar.  I was also lucky that the only car on the road at that moment had just passed one minute before. The driver saw what happened and helped me make a call to my parents so they could come pick me up, since my bike was damaged in the incident. I wonder if I could fall asleep on my TM? Hmmm...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

sirdizzy

I figure this is how I will die, I cycle all the time and people are jacktards in their cars.