Beginners and Beyond

What $20 will get you these days... (Read 83 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

PF pisses me off just on principle...

oh no.,. don't excel be mediocre like the rest of the herd.

There are extremes that are distasteful to many - from the steroid posing freaks/ loud braggarts to the dress to impress and 'catch a man' chicks.

But for PF to get onto members that are just good at what they do, polite and keep to themselves.

F them.

Not to mention the "we are not a gym we are Plant Fitness"  ya rah rah...

Gym

Synonym  - health club

:  a usually commercial establishment having members who pay a fee to use its health and fitness facilities and equipment

Docket_Rocket

I don't think we even have a PF near us.  That is steep. Maybe they saw you and felt intimidated.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Buelligan

Planet Fitness... is that one of the places with a "no grunting" policy?

Sorry, I'm a grunter.

PF pisses me off just on principle...

oh no.,. don't excel be mediocre like the rest of the herd.

There are extremes that are distasteful to many - from the steroid posing freaks/ loud braggarts to the dress to impress and 'catch a man' chicks.

But for PF to get onto members that are just good at what they do, polite and keep to themselves.

F them.

Not to mention the "we are not a gym we are Plant Fitness"  ya rah rah...

Gym

Synonym  - health club

:  a usually commercial establishment having members who pay a fee to use its health and fitness facilities and equipment

Meh, whatevs. It's their marketing schtik - appeal to the noob/casual gym user.

Turns out to be an excellent business model too. This is a much larger segment of the population than hardcore workout buffs; these are the type to sign up for a gym membership & end up not using it. So they have a large base of dues-paying members, but relatively low spending on facilities on a per-member basis. Therefore they can charge only $10/month, which attracts even more people who may or may not actually use the place. But of course also benefits people who will actually use it.

Certainly I would be furious if I was running intervals on the treadmill & they told me to stop or slow down. But not sure how often this is really enforced.

Dave

LRB

Don't wear the ultra short shorts, might be too intimidating.

I never even thought about that, good thing too 'cuz mucho leggo would have been showing!

Luckily though, a coworker took me up on an invitation to join me in the work gym and I did my long run there. We talked the entire time so the time flew by!

LRB

Meh, whatevs. It's their marketing schtik - appeal to the noob/casual gym user.

Turns out to be an excellent business model too. This is a much larger segment of the population than hardcore workout buffs; these are the type to sign up for a gym membership & end up not using it. So they have a large base of dues-paying members, but relatively low spending on facilities on a per-member basis. Therefore they can charge only $10/month, which attracts even more people who may or may not actually use the place. But of course also benefits people who will actually use it.

Certainly I would be furious if I was running intervals on the treadmill & they told me to stop or slow down. But not sure how often this is really enforced.

I actually do not have any issues with their policies, though it would have sucked big mickey to have had to leave on account of the 3 inch shorts and/or barely there singlet I wore today. Of course in our sport what I wore could be considered overdressing depending on who is doing the judging.

That being said so long as the rules are explained you either accept them and stay or reject them and scurry along in a huff, still needing somewhere to run long.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Agree the business model is likely very good.  Just a reflection of our fked

societal wimpy ness.  Sure as hell hope war never touches mainland, we would pout and cry ourselves into oblivion.

I actually do not have any issues with their policies, though it would have sucked big mickey to have had to leave on account of the 3 inch shorts and/or barely there singlet I wore today. Of course in our sport what I wore could be considered overdressing depending on who is doing the judging.

That being said so long as the rules are explained you either accept them and stay or reject them and scurry along in a huff, still needing somewhere to run long.

careful...

I know of someone that was 'asked' to refrain from extended machine usage.  It was intimidating ( no there was no-one waiting... ) he was just running into his second hour...

Btw F-them.

LRB

careful...

I know of someone that was 'asked' to refrain from extended machine usage.  It was intimidating ( no there was no-one waiting... ) he was just running into his second hour...

Speaking of that, the machine I was on went into cool down mode at 60 minutes. For a minute there I was like WTF?!

Had to reset the stupid thing then spent an eternity trying to figure out what I needed to run to get the round number I was looking for.

Oh and this just in: my math skills suck when I am sitting in total peace and serenity, so increase that suckage by a factor of 25 while I'm running. lol