Beginners and Beyond

SunDAILIES (Read 43 times)

onemile

I have a BQ so I can now give advice.  I would take it really easy the next 2-3 weeks, regardless of how your legs may feel. Give your body & mind some recovery time. But then going after a 5k is a great idea. I am personally not agreeing with bluesky's suggestion. What's the hurry? You are young & have plenty of time, you can wait till at least spring for another. By then you will have more accumulated mileage & another dedicated training cycle, and should have a better shot at a significant improvement than if you rushed into another one now. I think you have the 3:35 fitness in you, but extrapolating that to actual marathon performance is always a crapshoot, especially early in your marathoning career. Keep at it & you'll get there.

BQ Dave has good advice here.  Since the earliest you could run Boston would be 2018 anyway, might as well take some downtime and do another cycle in the spring.

Docket_Rocket

OK I might be done moping for now. I have some food in me and feel mostly human again. Marathons are stupid (but I'll run another one next year, whether it's spring or fall or something in between for last-minute BQ attempt).

Next goal: kick a 5K in the teeth. At least I know how to race that distance the right way, and my PR is almost a year old. My legs are feeling surprisingly good right now. I think running 23 in training at the tail end of a 60 mpw block took more out of me physically, though it is a distinct possibility that I'll be changing my tune tomorrow. Still deserve a break of some sort after 20 weeks of training, so I'll for sure take off tomorrow and Tuesday at the least and won't get back to workouts for a couple weeks.

Did you read my RR?  Where I said I suck at marathons and I'll be running them?  SImilar feeling.

Ran 7 after weights.  And since it was 80F I went outside.  Except by Mile 3 it was 86F and sunny and I was FTSing the rest of the way back home (4 miles).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Well as long as I'm not making rash decisions with the emotional toll of the marathon still upon me, I'll keep this option open too!

As if.  First thing one must do after finishing a marathon is plan or sign up for another. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

This was your first fucking marathon. Cut yourself some slack. Nothing can ever prepare you for your first. There are of course some exceptions, ahem Eric, but your experience is more the rule than the exception.

I have a BQ so I can now give advice.  

I was lucky (nice temperature, healthy).

I agree 100% with DavePCoach's advice.

From the Internet.

As if.  First thing one must do after finishing a marathon is plan or sign up for another. 

I'm still slightly too annoyed tonight but tomorrow is going to be spent scoping out potential spring races! Won't register for anything for a few weeks/until after I consult with my coach, though.

LRB

I'm still slightly too annoyed tonight but tomorrow is going to be spent scoping out potential spring races! Won't register for anything for a few weeks/until after I consult with my coach, though.

Marathon rule #119; everyone has an opinion as to what with wrong with your marathon and what you should do about it. Grain of salt, much? 

Ric-G

Eric  - wow. You torched that sucker. Congrats!

lauren -  that's a helluva debut. No matter what. Congrats!

6 miles earlier this morning.

Oh, and deep water horizon was first rate.

marathon pr - 3:16

No more marathons

I am personally not agreeing with bluesky's suggestion. 

Probably a smart move  One persons experience does not often translate to another.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Probably a smart move  One persons experience does not often translate to another.

We are all an experiment of one, they say.

Dave

No more marathons

Oh, and deep water horizon was first rate.

Totally agree.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!