Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 13 Krispy Kreme 5K/10K Donut Dash (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%2013%20Krispy%20Kreme%20Donut%20Dash%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 13th race of 2019 was the Krispy Kreme Donut Dash 5K, associated with the Run The Alamo 13.1, Mararthon, and 10K. This event helps support the Children’s Rehabilitation Institute of Teleton USA, which services disabled children and their families. Having been born myself with a birth defect, races that support the disabled, especially children, are a personal cause for me. The race location was Hemisfair in downtown San Antonio, starting and finishing near the HemisFair Tower.  Show time was 6:47 a.m. for everyone – so I was glad I braved the crazy crowds the day before to get my race packet, which took me about an hour in line – so by the time I arrived at 5:40 or so, there were already quite a few people there.  The weather was kind of miserable, with it still being dark, a bit of a brisk wind blowing and some light drizzle.  Even though it was 52 degrees, that wind made it feel a bit colder.  I had on 3 layers for the pre-start time, and wandered around getting a few photos.  My old camera does NOT like the dark, lol – even with a flash, so some of the photos may be a bit blurred...and I don't have the software to unblur them

HemisFair Tower in the drizzle and fog

photo 010_zpsam1emhpi.jpg

Various Participants Waiting for the Start

photo 001_zpsw1pohjrz.jpg

photo 002_zpsz9jmeieo.jpg

photo 003_zpsxtydhfj9.jpg

photo 005_zpsgv5nerhz.jpg

photo 009_zpson9lbq2z.jpg

Took me a while to get this beautiful dog to look right at the camera...and then my camera went whacko and blurred the photo - or probably just my camera skills.  Apologies to these folks.  Very nice people and very nice dog too.  And yes, I did have treats with me.

photo 011_zpsg8w9tygc.jpg

A couple more blurry photos, sorry...

photo 017_zpsddlfima0.jpg

Start crowd ahead - Marathoners and Half-ers getting ready to go

photo 016_zpsvccdau2b.jpg

National Anthem being played and a guy who carried the flag on his route raised it proudly

photo 012_zps5kv9jkhg.jpg

Apparently my old-time camera likes it better when it is light

photo 020_zpsze3pdxst.jpg

Then again, maybe not

photo 021_zpsxh1lfob4.jpg

photo 023_zps9eth7ktd.jpg

photo 024_zpsslperodq.jpg

ON THE COURSE

All participants lined up together, with the marathon and half marathon people going first and the 10K and 5K folks getting their own start about 5 – 10 minutes behind them.  For the 5K and 10K, we all stayed together at first, going out of the park and making a right turn on Alamo Street, which took us past The Alamo.  Then left onto Houston Street and about halfway down that, a left onto what I think is Presa Street, but I missed the sign, so not sure. We eventually wound around into the historic King William District – full of old 19th century-built mansions and homes – and that took us onto a path down to the San Antonio Riverwalk.  We were on the Riverwalk for probably less than a half-mile and then back up to Nueva Street, which took us back into HemisFair and to the finish line in the park.  It was a nicely thought-out course, givng us a bit of downtown everything: a view of the Tower, the downtown area, The Alamo, the historic King William area, and the Riverwalk, very nice. I ended up with a time of 34 minutes and change, which was good enough for 2nd in my age group. It did not hurt my chances, lol, that the 5K had the smallest amount of participants.

Passing in front of The Alamo

photo 026_zpsa7shqfes.jpg

photo 027_zpsgipo3ulp.jpg

On one of the downtown cobblestone streets heading toward King William District.

photo 028_zpsigvstbay.jpg

photo 031_zpsjbe8l30b.jpg

photo 032_zpsrybrnzb4.jpg

photo 034_zpseqmwqiuy.jpg

photo 035_zps4icjhlpb.jpg

The outskirts of King William District

photo 036_zpspmsejdl8.jpg

photo 038_zpsytequylu.jpg

photo 039_zpsegzfnf6q.jpg

photo 041_zpszijdydvu.jpg

photo 042_zpso0on9hik.jpg

On the Riverwalk, near King William District

photo 045_zpsnavjqqp8.jpg

photo 045_zpsnavjqqp8.jpg

At this point, we were on the riverwalk on the right and went by this thing and then back onto the paved streets and then to the

finish.

photo 046_zpsbeju698p.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got back into my dry shirt that I had put aside before the race started – helped me feel much warmer with that wind still blowing – and wandered around getting some after-photos. Also enjoyed the post-race goodies: Krispy Kreme donuts, chocolate milk, and there was also some loaded baked potatoes, and various vendors were handing out various treats too. Pretty nice post-race spread and there was also a pretty good music group standing on a building porch and playing for us. Results were posted on some nearby computers and we were told the awards would be mailed to us.  I was kind of glad of that because I was starting to get a little cold; so after finishing my goodies and my photos, I went ahead and left to go and get a nice hot shower, change into dryer clothes and get home.  Several of my friends were doing the half and full, but I just could not wait around that long, so my apologies that I missed y’all.

Happy Finishers, et al....

This was the start line/finish line.  "Come and Run It" is a take-off on the "Come and Take It" flag that people in Gonzales made up; it flew at the first battle of the Texican Revolution, the Battle of Gonzales.

photo 061_zpszsxzt82s.jpg

The 'gate' was also the finish line

photo 062_zpsxspmwttt.jpg

My friend Alejandra was one of the volunteers handing out medals at the finish line.

photo 049_zpsmcbzvj9r.jpg

Another volunteer at the finish line.  Thanks!

photo 063_zps1p4f5rof.jpg

Medal that the full marathoners got

photo 053_zpsco6f2bra.jpg

And the Half Marathons got this one

photo 054_zps8b3pqueb.jpg

One of my favorite medals...   Wink 

photo 051_zpseyksvq5e.jpg

5K and 10K folks got these round medals

photo 057_zpsintlv3oy.jpg

photo 047_zpsjq0t51ns.jpg

photo 048_zpsn0oxgfbk.jpg

photo 050_zpsqgrxda8t.jpg

photo 055_zpsszfspoai.jpg

Selfie - using my old time camera, lol - with friend

photo 056_zpsu4qcvafd.jpg

photo 058_zpsrwrvhovk.jpg

photo 060_zpsl7y7prv5.jpg

NBA Spurs Coyote was there

photo 065_zpszd4bfkle.jpg

photo 066_zpsazdtb9yv.jpg

He was cracking me up, lol

photo 067_zpsjwbjf8hv.jpg

Climbed the playground netting and banged the drum with everyone calling out "Go Spurs Go!"

photo 069_zpsbazxghq7.jpg

Enjoying some of the post-race goodies..chocolate milk and Krispy Kreme

photo 068_zpsnk8jugr7.jpg

Nice place to sit and eat..this playground is designed to be child-safe with the special ground surface, and some very interesting items in it

photo 070_zpsynjihkiw.jpg

photo 071_zpsvwjcjoym.jpg

photo 072_zpsuxf4dggg.jpg

More happy finishers, etc

photo 073_zpskwcaj6nf.jpg

photo 074_zpskase9te4.jpg

photo 078_zpsedr9xhp1.jpg

This is staff members of the Children's Rehabilitation Institute.  They put on a really good 5K in December, which I also do.

photo 076_zpsqgwcowbg.jpg

photo 085_zpsfpvlcuhp.jpg

photo 087_zpsrfikg0l9.jpg

Nice, well trained doggie, lol

photo 077_zpsqhplilcq.jpg

Our timers, results, and all-around organizers; two of the people who helped make it all come together.  Thanks so much!

photo 084_zpsx2zmlazi.jpg

Music group playing for us

photo 080_zps4xazls5z.jpg

One of The Alamo character portrayers.  Before the start there was a group of them that started off  all the events with a musket volley

photo 081_zpsl9ajdkce.jpg

Some colorfully dressed dancers

photo 083_zpstud5c9qb.jpg

EPILOGUE

Very nicely organized event – although that pre-race packet pickup was kinda crazy the day before the race.  Bless the volunteers who were doing all that for their patience in getting it all done for us.  I sort of wish the race organizers would give us a ‘mail to’ option – for a fee, of course.  Shoot, I’d pay extra to just have my packet stuff mailed to me, and the race organizers could charge somewhat extra than the mail cost would be and that would be even more revenue incoming for the race and its benefitted charities.  Maybe something for them to think about next year, and people who want that would have a deadline they’d have to register for the race by. Anyway, even with packet pickup craziness, it was all good; very well organized overall, the course I did was very nicely done, and nice quality race tees. I have done this one before and I would certainly do it again, and would recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to all the people who made this one happen for us:  our Race Directors, all the volunteers and sponsors and vendors supporting this one – especially those standing out there on the course for quite a while until everyone had passed by – and all the law enforcement and EMT folks out there for us too; and anyone else I may not have mentioned here. Thank you all so much for what you do so we participants could have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt