Beginners and Beyond

First Weekend of Spring Penguins! (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

PAD - nice MLR for you today.  Have you started your taper?

I've got 18-20 tomorrow then I start.

on my way to badass

Ginny- hills are most assuredly possible if I go outside.  I have lots o'hills, but I've been doing my miles on the hamster wheel because of this hideous winter.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

tracilynn

I ran hills yesterday. My first ever hill training (which is probably too late to do any good in my HILLY ASS HM coming up in 2 weeks), but anyway I REALLY LOVED IT. Im ditching tempo or interval day and trading for a hill day permanently.    I only have one good size hill around here &  it's about 100 feet up in 1/4 mile so I ran up it and walked down - 4 times. 4 is all I could do. I know I will get better.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Evening all! Today I went to nj to attend my little sister's bridal shower. Because of the snow yesterday the roads weren't in a condition to go before oli left nyc. I brought running clothes with me and got 3.3 easy miles done afterwards.  My sister was very cute today - "this is way better than Christmas"   I think she plays the role of bride to be very well.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Traci, way to go on the hills!

Jill, what a nice day for your sis.  And you are so dedicated, taking running clothes with you!  

Another rest day for me.  Church, and then spend the rest of the day at the new house sanding the banister and all those spindles, ugh.

tracilynn

Brilliant have fun with your home makeover.  Sounds like a good hand workout. Ha

Im back from 10 HELL miles full of panicky WTF gastric distress moments. Ugh. Just awful. Lots of walking and cussing. So glad this was NOT an actual race day.  

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

2.5 FFF miles.  Should have gone inside for a LR.

Nice run, Traci 

Zelanie

Traci- You are super tough to get through that one!

Brilliant- That sounds like a pain, but I hope it looks great when you're done.  And you get to remember the effort you put in every time you go by it.

sapf- Sounds like a great day!

From the Internet.

Oh that sounds miserable Traci, blech. The only good thing about runs like that is the next one HAS to be better. Nice job on the hills! You could definitely alternate hills with intervals, keep the tempo though as that works a different system than hills/speedwork.

Ginny, got an early start and then met up with my club at our usual time - they're all still in winter maintenance mode right now, so I knew I wouldn't have company for the whole thing.

GinnyinPA

sapf - nice that your sister is a cute bride, not a bridezilla.  Good job getting the run done.

Brilliant - we had an old house at one time with wrought iron railings.  Very pretty, but when I had to sand all the decorative work, I was cussing too.

Traci - Too much fiber for dinner last night?  Sorry your run was so awful.

Jerry - Too bad your run was so cold.  No spring in Chicago yet?

Z - did you make it home with your sick colleague?

Today was supposed to be 20 miles, but I cut it short at 18.4.  The first 15 were great, but the hamstring and my right knee both started complaining, and when I passed the car they were screaming, so I decided that enough was enough.  Overall I felt better afterwards than my last long run and I enjoyed the 43 degree sunny day, but I could barely make it up the stairs when I got home, so I'm glad I didn't push it any farther.

Zelanie

Ginny, you've put a lot of work and miles in lately, I'm sure the extra 1.4 wouldn't have added anything but stress. Always dangerous to run by the car or house when tired! Hope you feel better after some rest.

We made it home fine, didn't even need to stop. It turns out even more people were sick than we thought, including the conference organizers and some of the hotel staff.  They are trying to claim that it was a stomach bug, but everyone who got it all got sick at pretty much the same moment Friday afternoon. I am so thankful that I didn't eat whatever it was that they ate.

I have 12 planned for later, but we've been kind of lazing around so far today. DD is looking for prom dresses. She wants to go without a date. Is that something kids do these days? Haha, I feel old. Neither DH not I went to prom, so we have no idea.

We're also considering an east coast trip for the summer to look at colleges. Spendy, but it could be a ton of fun too. Right now, we're thinking NYC and MA.

Zelanie

Finally got my run in.  13 even.  I was not feeling it, but was happy to know that I could still crank out the miles even when that happens.

Ginny, you were asking about fueling a while back.  What did you end up deciding to do?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Zel, assuming that DD is looking at very selective schools, you could also check out Univ of Chicago and Northwestern.  Both great schools.

Zelanie

Zel, assuming that DD is looking at very selective schools, you could also check out Univ of Chicago and Northwestern.  Both great schools.

We would, but she has flat out ruled out anything that's not East or West coast.