Beginners and Beyond

I am not part of the 5% (Read 272 times)

Village people

Coach K will get his 109,324th(ish) win, and DUKE will win the whole deal!  -- And that is where all the ponts are at, the most important, and final bracket. Big grin

+1 I was glad to see UNLV go down. Anyone remember Tarkanian sucking on towels?

DH played basketball in university, UNB and it isn't anything like NCAA. My first year of university, my school win the Vanier Cup, that was pretty exciting. I still love March Madness, anything can happen.

I took a look at Obama's bracket and I am not impressed.  His Sweet 16 consists of all the 1 through 4 seeds, with the exception of Wisconsin which is a 5 seed.  Cripes, anyone can go chalk on their bracket.  I do give him credit for not advancing all the 1 seeds to the Final Four, so at least he went outside the box a little on that.  He's got a 1, 1, 2, and 3.  History does show that a top three seed usually wins this thing.  I've got Miami.

The Presidential Bracket has always gone pretty close to chalk. And always done pretty well, as I think history shows an all-chalk bracket will generally do well but not win. I used to run an office pool & maintained an all-chalk bracket for reference purpose, this was typically what we saw. (Although this was a while back before they started using the term "chalk" -- I never figured that one out, the term seemed to come out of nowhere a few years ago.)

Dave

The Presidential Bracket has always gone pretty close to chalk. And always done pretty well, as I think history shows an all-chalk bracket will generally do well but not win. I used to run an office pool & maintained an all-chalk bracket for reference purpose, this was typically what we saw. (Although this was a while back before they started using the term "chalk" -- I never figured that one out, the term seemed to come out of nowhere a few years ago.)

"chalk" is becoming the new "epic". Makes me cringe every time I hear it.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

delicate flower

"chalk" is becoming the new "epic". Makes me cringe every time I hear it.

I honestly have never given the word 'chalk' much of a thought.  Now "score the basketball" is a term that needs to die.  It's just SCORE.  Do you score the puck in hockey?  Or score the baseball in baseball?  God dammit.

<3

Speaking of things that need to die, did you hear Dick Vitale is going to be calling the games in Atlanta? Can't stand that man on a broadcast.

I honestly have never given the word 'chalk' much of a thought.  Now "score the basketball" is a term that needs to die.  It's just SCORE.  Do you score the puck in hockey?  Or score the baseball in baseball?  God dammit.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

RSX

It's obviously a big story in our area and I wish I saw it live. The only time I ever saw Harvard play in person was against Duke years ago when Tommy Amaker was their point guard.

I think if Dickie V and Chris Berman were to both disappear under mysterious circumstances (not that I'm suggesting anything), ESPN would be in a much better place.

Dave

delicate flower

Speaking of things that need to die, did you hear Dick Vitale is going to be calling the games in Atlanta? Can't stand that man on a broadcast.

The only broadcaster that really bothers me is Chris Berman.  I can not watch a game if he is announcing.  Tim McCarver is up there too but I find him to be more dumb than annoying.

<3

LRB

It's obviously a big story in our area and I wish I saw it live. The only time I ever saw Harvard play in person was against Duke years ago when Tommy Amaker was their point guard.

Ironically, Tommy Amaker stunk up the joint as Big Blue's coach.  Now he goes out and pulls an upset against Indiana's favorite son Steve Alford, who if nothing else, was smart enough to sign an extension before the tournament began.

Village people

I think if Dickie V and Chris Berman were to both disappear under mysterious circumstances (not that I'm suggesting anything), ESPN would be in a much better place.

I like both of them! We saw Dick Vitale at The Palace, several years ago. We had nose bleed seats.

Love the Half

My picks last night.

1.  Louisville - Winner

2.  Missouri - Loser (OK as long as they lose to Louisville in the next round)

3.  Oregon - Winner (I have them going to the Sweet 16)

4.  St. Louis - Winner

5.  Memphis - Winner

6.  Mich St - Winner

7.  Gonzaga - Winner

8.  PItt - Loser (I have them going to the Sweet 16)

9.  Arizona - Winner

10.  New Mexico - Loser (I have them going to the Sweet 16)

11.  VCU - Winner

12.  Meechigan - Winner

13.  Cal - Winner

14.  Syracuse - Winner

15.  Butler - Winner

16.  Marquette - Winner

All in all, a pretty good Day 1.  Watch me get slaughtered today.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

I ended 11-5 yesterday. Missed on Missouri, Pitt, Belmont (had to pick an 11-6 upset, right?), New Mexico, and UNLV.

Good call on taking Cal!

The only underdogs I took today are Minnesota over UCLA. Everyone was making a big deal about the missing point guard for UCLA. Could be ripe for an upset. I also took Colorado over Illinois, but I'm wishing I hadn't.

Who knows. I did real well last year. Won the office pool and took home over $400 on a $10 buy in. Not too shabby.

The only broadcaster that really bothers me is Chris Berman.  I can not watch a game if he is announcing.  Tim McCarver is up there too but I find him to be more dumb than annoying.

I don't know if you saw my post first, or that one was just so obvious. I cannot stand McCarver either, and even Joe Buck has gotten a bit too self-important for his own good. Too bad they will do every meaningful postseason baseball games till they die.

And LRB, speaking as a guy who went to Illinois in the '80's, nothing makes me happier than to see Steve Alford humiliated.

Quick, better divert this thread back to a running-related subject, lest we get trolled.

Dave

delicate flower

13-3 is pretty darn good, LtH.  I picked five upsets yesterday and got crushed.  I've only got one today (Minnesota) so I'm hoping for a better day today.

Edit:  Dave, I did not see your Berman comment before I posted mine.  Big grin

<3

I also took Colorado over Illinois, but I'm wishing I hadn't.

You shouldn't worry so much about that one. Colorado is supposedly under-seeded. Illinois has had some big wins (Gonzaga, Indiana, Ohio State), but a lot of really bad losses, and they are completely reliant on their ability to hit threes, which comes & goes at random.

Dave