Beginners and Beyond

Just for fun... (Read 77 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Yesterday while waiting for a meeting with a customer, I used the calculator app on my phone to have a little fun.

I took Saturday's race time, and calculated my current VDOT.  Then, I used Jack Daniels formula for adjusting VDOT for weight loss to see if I could qualify for Boston at a lower weight.  Unless my algebra is rusty, I could qualify for Boston if I lost another 40 pounds.  That would put me at 180 pounds, which is pretty thin at 6'4", but not completely unrealistic.

I know this doesn't take into consideration other fitness gains made along the way, but it was, "Just for fun".  Does anybody else do weird stuff like that when they're bored?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

i would have NO idea how to do that lol. But since McMillian predicts my marathon time at around 5 hours, I think I'd probably need to get back to my kindergarten weight to qualify lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

If you call using the marathonguide.com age graded calculator "weird", then yes, I do weird things like comparing my times to something equivalent to what a man, or a woman 15 years younger than me, would run. I do that a lot. It puts things into perspective for me. And yes, it's great fun. Because it often works to my advantage. Big grin

AR, if you can manage to lose some weight, and that's up to you to decide how much, you will DEFINITELY improve your speed. Just losing 5 lbs makes a difference for me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

my sisters and I have decided that if I was going to qualify for boston, its going to take some time. But if I was an 80 year old lady, I would have qualified first time out of the box.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I found a spreadsheet online that allowed me to plug in all of my last race info and predict marathon time. I'm pretty sure that I'd need definitely more endurance training before hand. Anyways, I'd have to lose 33 more pounds. Wow, I'd be a pretty tiny dude. I'll keep working at it and maybe I can do it while keeping about 15 of those pounds. Smile

- Andrew

I found a spreadsheet online that allowed me to plug in all of my last race info and predict marathon time. 

Do you have an address for this?

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Do you have an address for this?

Yep, I downloaded the one under his first screenprint: http://www.electricblues.com/html/runpro.html

- Andrew