Beginners and Beyond

TGIFridailies! (Read 61 times)

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Tom, they're going to start thinking you're a pool hustler, lol.

I'd like that reputation. As long as it's earned.

Last week, in the other league, I thought I was well on my way to having an awesome 40+ point night (different scoring system in that league), but in the last game, my opponent had a 'break-and-run' on me and I scored 0 that game. Still, it was a good night. But there are some really good players out there!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

@runjerseygirl

Saw this on FB today and thought it was perfect for the Dailies

Do you even run?

happylily

Morning!

The animals give me the creeps...

11 easy after work, tonight.

Have a great day!

P.S. Mitch, did you get your results on Monday? I thought about you everyday while I was away, as I had promised. I hope all is well with you!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

@runjerseygirl

Morning!

The animals give me the creeps...

This made me LOL. Smile

Do you even run?

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

It seems like a lot of us have had discussions recently about "holding" back when necessary.  I found my old Running Times issue (Jan/Feb 2013, p. 50) the other night for something else, but it had a little blurb on this topic that I thought I'd share.

"Many runners suffer from an 'all medium runs' mentality.  These runners complete all workouts at the same effort level - medium - and fail to garner the benefits of longer, easy distance runs or shorter, more intense speed work....Every workout has a purpose.  Achieving that purpose requires an optimal intensity and duration - no more, no less.  Straying from the optimal pace changes the workout - you are now training for a different purpose and sabotaging other workouts before and after this one.  Distance runs provide the exact same benefit at an easy, conversational pace as at a harder (medium pace.  But the easy pace ultimately delivers greater benefit because we're able to run longer and recover more quickly."

There's a little more, but essentially that's the idea.  After reading that point stated so strongly, I've really tried to apply it to my current training.  That's not to say I'm always successful, but I'm making an effort.

Also, I know that we're not all "training" with the same single-minded purpose.  Sometimes it's nice to just get out and run, doing what we feel like on a given day.  I'm not judging anyone for their runs at all, and know that the best workouts are the workouts that are best for the person doing them.  I just found this interesting and helpful to me, so I thought I'd share.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Jess runs for bacon

FYI, I mentioned in yesterday's dailies that I intend to run the Hogsback HM this year.  You asked about that one so I just wanted to let you know!  Cool

Awesome! I'm just waiting anxiously for the date at this point. There's some stuff going on around that time and I'm hoping they are all on different dates. I really want that pig medal though Smile

delicate flower

Awesome! I'm just waiting anxiously for the date at this point. There's some stuff going on around that time and I'm hoping they are all on different dates. I really want that pig medal though Smile

It'll come with a pig shirt, too!

I'm sort of locked into this race since they are allowing me to defer to this one from another race due to injury.  The only chance I won't do this race is if my rehab comes along a lot slower than I have planned. 

<3

YAYpril - B-Plus

Saw this on FB today and thought it was perfect for the Dailies

I came here to post the same pic. Smile

Jess runs for bacon

It'll come with a pig shirt, too!

I'm sort of locked into this race since they are allowing me to defer to this one from another race due to injury.  The only chance I won't do this race is if my rehab comes along a lot slower than I have planned. 

Pshaw, you've got plenty of time! Here's hoping your rehab goes well Smile

@runjerseygirl

I came here to post the same pic. Smile

Haha!  I win! Wink

Do you even run?

Chairman

You're more brave than I am.  It's 15 here with a "feels like" temp of 7.  I have no interest in running outside.  I'll take 90 over this any day.

Oh, I dunno. I think I'd rather have this.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

runmomto3boys

SIAR: Thanks for the blurb.  That's a good nug right there!

Fuzzy: You're crazy fast!!!  Great progression run - fantastic!

Just B.S.

Friday Friday Fri-day!  Friday Friday Fri-day!  Holy crap has it been a busy week of work.  I am glad it's coming to a merciful end.  11,500 W-2's are printed and going in the mail today.  .

I got surgery instructions in the mail yesterday.  Surgery is scheduled for noon and I am not allowed to eat or drink past midnight the night before.  That's a long time to go without eats.  I told DW I am going to stay up until midnight stuffing my fat face in an attempt to hold me over for 15 hours.

Heading to Vermont this weekend.  Snowshoe walk tomorrow followed by shopping and eating.  HOORAY!

Enjoy your Friday, mon pedros!

Wowzers! That's a lot of W-2's!!!  Glad you are still able to get in some workouts with the injury.

That's what I did last Feb when I had my surgery. Good thing too because I was scheduled for the morning

but due to an emergency surgery in the O.R  I  didn't get wheeled in until 4pm......they allowed me to sip some

water during the 7 hour wait but  that was it.......by the time I was back in my room and was able to  eat a little

something it was 21 hours without  food and just a bit of water........

Your weekend sounds like a lot of fun!! Enoy!

LRB

Oh, I dunno. I think I'd rather have this.

Seriously!  Running in 90 degree temps for anything longer than 10 feet is a deal breaker for me.

For Damaris though, it would probably be considered a cool front.

What up Dailiers?

SRD for me after my 10.8 last night. Travel day and then skiing tomorrow @ Snowbasin. Big snow forcasted coming in Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Can't wait.