Beginners and Beyond

Richmond HCA VA 8K Race Report (Read 25 times)

It may seem odd to many, but this 8K race this year qualified as a destination race for me.  I live in metro Atlanta - land of many hills and warm weather mostly.    I moved from Richmond to Atlanta about 17 years ago and my DW & I still stay in touch with a couple who were our former neighbors.

We drove about 500 miles on Wednesday to stay at our friend's house.  My wife attended an education technology conference on Thursday and Friday while I ran 6 miles and 3 miles on those days.  In addition, I met up with some former co-workers for lunch and had many laughs over 2 hours.  Thursday, I drove the course and a singular thought emerged as a runner pertaining to the 8K course.  Based upon ideal conditions, the course is easily PRable - a flat course with a downhill finish.  Two drawbacks were very present though. First, my mileage and running has been negligible since the end of August for various reasons.   Second, the weather turned cold like most of the country during the latter part of the week.  Start time at 7am for the 8k had temps at 28 degrees.  For most runners that may be ideal but for me, I have to monitor my asthma in cold weather.

Race day, we awake at 4:30 am to leave the house with our friends at 5:30 am.  Jim was running the HM while Patty, his wife, would be ace photographer. Jim found a parking space about 3 blocks from the start and guided us to the Marriott hotel lobby to join fellow runners keeping warm prior to the start.  I appreciated heated bathrooms inside a hotel as opposed to port-a-potties in sub 32 degrees temps.

Prior to the race, I kept Jim, Patty, and my DW entertained in the lobby

My DW and myself in good spirits. Visual evidence of effect of reduced running = more lbs.

About 6:30am, I stepped outside the hotel and ran up and down the dark, cold streets to warm up.

After the warm up, in front of the Marriott sporting my best Rocky impersonation.

Then, it was time to walk to the start.  At the expo, I requested a placement in Wave 1 for 49 minutes and under.  In 2013 I ran an 8K in Atlanta in 47:00 and 2014 in 46:17.  I secretly just hoped to finish at 50 minutes because of lack of running past few months and a 10K which I ran 2 weeks earlier in Atlanta was 1:07:27 and a 5K one week ago in Atlanta was 30:33.

I still was in good spirits while waiting for the start of the race with my fellow runners.  I thought myself just try to keep pace a little bit with these runners.

The first mile commences, it's cold but my chest is protected with three running shirts and legs have running tights under running shorts.  Btw, my wife laughingly referred to my tights as "Rich is wearing his pantyhose for the race".  I do notice periodically I have to bring my gloved hand in front of my mouth to warm the air to breathe.  The first mile clocks at 9:15.

The second mile clocks a little slower at 18:43 - still issues with cold air.

As I approach the third mile marker, a really fit runner came along side me as if a runner angel appearing out of nowhere. He noticed my breathing, and kindly remarked, "just raise up straighter and relax your breathing".  Everything changed then. At the third mile, my watched showed 28:something, I cannot remember exactly.  I thought just give it everything the next two miles knowing there was a downhill finish.

As mile 4 approached, I purposely did not look at my watch, I did not want to become discouraged. I kept running hard.  When we turned onto 5th street for the long downhill finish, I knew that I had an advantage.  My neighborhood has a .3 mile steep downhill finish to my mailbox.  On all my training runs, I'm accustomed to running hard and under control, not breaking like some runners.

I glanced at the finish line clock and knew I would PR for this distance.  My wife and Patty remarked later that I looked in pain as I approached the finish line.  I thought immediately of LTH comments how you should finish - it brought a satisfied smile.

The net time was 45:29.

After picking up the bag of goodies, I returned to near the finish line to cheer the remainder of the 8K runners and await Jim to cheer him as he finished the HM.  Jim reached his A goal with a finish of 1:29:52.

Finally, Patty snaps a photo of the two runners pleased with their effort.

This may seem crazy but I may drive 500 miles again next year to run a 8K race.  Enjoyed it tremendously.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Cyberic

Nice RR and great PR! Driving 500 miles for a 8k is a little extreme for me but if you think it's worth it, then it is.

LRB

We work hard for our money and free time, to enjoy it how we wish and you did exactly that.  Nice job!

LRB

By the way I may drive a similar amount of miles (or more) to race a single mile next year. 

Mmmmm...beer

Great job, congrats on the PR!  It was definitely chilly!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Damn, that's awesome!

I am glad you got to run back home, visit friends and family, and managed to race well.  Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Great work! I'm planning on hitting up an 8k next year that will take me about 3 hours to get to. Half of that will be sitting on a ferry.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice report and photos! Congrats on your race and the shiny new PR!

If you're gonna drive 500 miles to a race, you should at least drive to a race where it's WARMER, not colder,  and maybe there is some beach and ocean scenery... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Cyber - not only the 8K but enjoy good times with friends

LRB - Which mile event  are you considering?  The one in NYC?

D2nd - Thanks!

Docket - Thank you...perhaps you could pass on some tips running in cold weather w/asthma (has to be from a destination race of yours, definitely not Miami)

B-Plus - sounds very cool crossing a ferry to a race

Scotty - You are so right.  I got it backward!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot