Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Humana and YMCA Siclovia 5K (Read 11 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 48th race of 2015 and the 2nd of two races I did for the weekend of Sep 26 - Sep 27, after having done on Sep 26, 2015, Head for the Cure 5K.  On Sep 27th was the Siclovia (sick-low-vee-ah) 5K.  Siclovia is a San Antonio event that supports getting out and exercising in whatever form, walking, cycling, running, etc; and once at various times over the year, some streets in downtown San Antonio are closed for a period of 5 or so hours and people can go up and down the streets during that time doing their exercise of choice to their heart's content.  Vendor booths, food booths, food trucks, etc., are also along the route, so it really kind of turns into an 'exercise street carnival."  This particular 5K kicked things off for the day long Siclovia with an 8 a.m. start.   About 200 or so participants, maybe a bit more than that, and age group awards given to the first 2 finishers in each age group.  I finishes this 5K in 32:27, which was good enough for third in my 60-69 age group.

BEFORE THE START

The event started and finished at Alamo Plaza.  A nice, sunny day, but the temp was only in the upper 60s and there was a nice 'crisp" fall feel to the air when we started; nice!   I got on-site with about 40 minutes to start time and did my pre-start photo thing.

Our start/finish venue gave us a good view of The Alamo

photo 009_zpsfy90ysuo.jpg

Yours Truly in front of The Alamo, and then with a friend

photo 006_zps0jrqv42k.jpg

photo 005_zpsihboix7p.jpg

Human is the major sponsor of Siclovia, in partnership with our local YMCA

photo 012_zpszmuuxppc.jpg

Volunteers, participants, supporters, etc.

photo 001_zpstbidl1yj.jpg

photo 002_zpsyfu39a5l.jpg

photo 003_zps6izedv40.jpg

photo 004_zpst11qweh7.jpg

photo 007_zpsuja8tb9b.jpg

photo 008_zps0hlko8oe.jpg

photo 011_zpsb2gap5et.jpg

photo 013_zpszdqx1crm.jpg

photo 014_zpstymep1v4.jpg

photo 015_zpsen4mioiu.jpg

Two of my running pals, Bernadette and Tanya - both much speedier than me!  Tanya was an overall female medal winner and Bernadette got a medal in her age group

photo 016_zpsote6imi7.jpg

photo 017_zps7eaeviqe.jpg

Getting ready to go

photo 018_zpszbkcpja6.jpg

ON THE COURSE

From Alamo Street, we veered over to Broadway.  Then it was down Broadway, heading in the direction of Brackenridge Park, to a turn-around point near Grayson and Broadway.  Then to finish, back the way we'd come.  Nice wide-open streets with no traffic at all and plenty of room for all.

Going up Broadway

photo 019_zpsrlswl4qg.jpg

photo 021_zpszqrva0ec.jpg

Bernadette heading back to the finish after having already made the turn-round point...I was still on my way there, lol

photo 023_zpsxcrafdsi.jpg

Looking behind me..

photo 020_zpsbfjdsjby.jpg

photo 022_zps6oqwv3wm.jpg

Made the turn-around and I am now heading back toward the finish, with people on my left heading to the turn-around

photo 024_zps7zwebez8.jpg

photo 025_zpsgpptc2qd.jpg

Looking behind me..

photo 026_zps3wh5v6pz.jpg

photo 028_zpsexivvqqw.jpg

photo 029_zpsl09wypqu.jpg

We passed by the Pearl Brewery area, which used to be a local  brewery, but is now an upscale shopping, restaurant, apartments, etc., area

photo 027_zpstksdsn7i.jpg

After that, it was non-stop running for the last 1.2 miles or so back to the finish!

AFTER THE FINISH

The first folks I saw after the finish...the water volunteers

photo 030_zpsbseh5cvm.jpg

These folks were handing out red bandanas...which came in handy for me to wipe my camera lens, as I was sweating so darn much. Thank you ladies!

photo 031_zps2edghu2y.jpg

"Happy Finishers" et al......

photo 032_zpsvz8wluvs.jpg

photo 033_zpssnovotti.jpg

photo 034_zpshvnaeqks.jpg

photo 035_zpsh18wtplm.jpg

photo 036_zps2z3nfux7.jpg

photo 037_zps5rlisb9t.jpg

photo 038_zpsrsee0xsw.jpg

photo 039_zps4f0t8fdh.jpg

photo 040_zps8fph76b7.jpg

photo 041_zpsg5ou6qwx.jpg

photo 042_zpsqqhqkb3b.jpg

photo 043_zpsfblmkgrt.jpg

photo 044_zpszbhudcjt.jpg

photo 045_zpsrfaenauq.jpg

photo 046_zpsj5glqsuc.jpg

photo 047_zpsurwggmqh.jpg

photo 048_zps191cbxp0.jpg

photo 049_zpsw1m6oyjm.jpg

photo 050_zpsx5kazzjq.jpg

photo 051_zpsydv4uggz.jpg

photo 052_zpsscmysyeh.jpg

photo 053_zpsx4jyxvkn.jpg

photo 054_zpshwpavjax.jpg

On the way back to my car, I took a leisurely walk through the downtown RiverCenter area near River Center Mall.  Very peaceful early on a Sunday morning before all the businesses started opening and tourists started flooding the Riverwalk.

photo 055_zpszynpbitu.jpg

photo 056_zpsaceznjca.jpg

EPILOG

Siclovia is a fun event and always held on Sunday to impede as little as possible traffic and local businesses.   The 5K is always well managed and iaapweb.com does their usual great job of course setup, timing, results, etc.   I always try to do this 5K whenever I can...not too many events are done in the downtown venue near The Alamo, so it's a very nice change-of-route from most local events.  Mucho thanks to all the sponsors, volunteers, organizers, law enforcement out there for us, etc., all the folks who made this one happen for we participants.  Definitely recommend this one to my fellow runners and walkers!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Great report!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

That's a great idea to encourage people to enjoy exercise.  Fun to be in that part of town without the usual crowded streets.  You can actually look around and see things!

Buelligan

Another great RR as always.  I don't race a lot, but I find great pleasure in living vicariously through your exploits.