Beginners and Beyond

Battling Piriformis. Any recommendations? (Read 80 times)

RSX

Mine acted up and the middle stretch helped me too.

I also sat on a tennis ball and rolled around.  Watch out when you find THE sore spot with the tennis ball it hurts like a MOFO! Brought tears.  Ha.

Good lucK

My chiro recommended using a tennis ball also. That spot also hurts like a mofo during ART but when she takes care of that I'm usually good to go the next day.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Massage therapy. It is humbling to request a butt massage but if you get a good therapist, it's a lifesaver. It is excruciatingly painful, but well worth it. I have dealt with this for about 2 years and massage and chiropractic keeps it at bay. I usually need massage work not only on the Piriformis, but on the glute medius. As others have said it is often a chain reaction.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I have been able to manage it over the years by not running too many miles, paying close attention

to how it feels especially at the end of a marathon cycle,  cycling several times a week plus an almost

fanatically strict stretching regime.

Uhhhhhh.......Confused

Don't you know that above is both a grammatical and moral oxymoron? Wink Big grin

Randy

Just B.S.

Uhhhhhh.......Confused

Don't you know that above is both a grammatical and moral oxymoron? Wink Big grin

I ran an even split   4:10 marathon in May on 35mpw average over 7 weeks, which was a 7 minute

PR. I don't need to run a lot of miles to hit my goals (goal that day was 4:10) and it keeps me injury

free by not running so many miles that it affects the piriformis.  Oh and I don't give hoot about grammar 

on a running forum.Big grin

#artbydmcbride

IOh and I don't give hoot a bout grammar 

on a running forum.Big grin

Blasphemy!

Runners run

Just B.S.

Blasphemy!

Yup 'tis true. Say wha???Big grin

StepbyStep-SH

Uhhhhhh.......Confused

Remember that Beth doesn't need to run as many miles because she's making us all look like a bunch of pansies with her biking and swimming. Smile

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

RSX

Remember that Beth doesn't need to run as many miles because she's making us all look like a bunch of pansies with her biking and swimming. Smile

I did a half up her way this summer. After it was over she and her husband went swimming.

Zelanie

I find with the stretches that I have to mix it up.  Neglect any one stretch for too long and I can feel the difference.

I like to roll on a baseball.  It's much firmer than a tennis ball.

Just B.S.

Swimming and biking don't help your running from what I hear of popular consensus. Of course I never listen to

what I am "supposed" to do.  I just do what's fun.Smile

I did a half up her way this summer. After it was over she and her husband went swimming.

Crazy Canadians! Never know what strange thing they will do next.   Anyway it was just a kilometer swim after

a sub 2 half. No biggie.Big grin

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

The middle stretch that LRB posted is what worked for me, but slightly modified.  Scoot to the edge of the chair and then put your right arm (assuming the same position as the picture) between your legs and your left arm on the outside of your left leg, that will allow you to stretch further down.

THANK YOU for posting this!  I've been dealing with tight hamstrings for MONTHS now, and this has helped me feel so much better in just a few days.