Beginners and Beyond

NCR Half Marathon (Read 42 times)

Sorry, it sounds like a pretty rough day.

As for the GU, and Gatorade for that matter, you should be able to race 13.1 miles without either of them if your pre-race nutrition is on point. Or at the very least, not need anything until late in the race. I know there are people who do both during half marathons, but that could simply be because they want them, or that conditions necessitate them.

^this. I'd suggest to just race without. One less thing to worry about. I used to do that for HMs, but switched to taking a Gu around mile 7. No idea if it helps, but it's has never given me any stomach problems, so I figure it couldn't hurt. But it's a personal thing. OTOH, if you decide you want to race any fulls, you'll have to come up with a fueling strategy that works for you.

Sounds like the pre-race nonsense really got you discombobulated & could very well have affected your race. I usually arrive at races way early because I'm always worried about parking & bathroom situations. Sometimes I end up sitting in my car for a long time, but NBD; sometimes it turns out to be just right. The bus adds another layer of uncertainty. I think I have only had a bus to the start one time, and the driver actually got lost. Ha. Fortunately there was still plenty of time. It would seem like you gave yourself enough time, but you just never know. No excuse for the lack of portapotties. Someone's got some 'splaining to do. It would be enough to make me cross that race off the list next time, unless they made a commitment to improve.

Did you do a warmup? I do a 1 mile easy jog before a half. Helps get my legs & body warm (can often strip off a layer afterwards), and ready to race. Maybe you didn't have time under the circumstances.

The training plan business no doubt also messed with things. We discussed this previously - a better approach might have been to have McMillan design a custom plan for you. But if you are comfortable with Hudson, go for it.

Everyone has bad days. Shake it off and focus on next spring. You've got much faster races in you.

Dave

I'm sorry. I hate when shit starts to fall apart, and I know the feeling when it starts to happen and it's the worst. Also, add me to the, "Gu may be poision," camp. You had a rough cycle, but it sounds like you have a better sense of what works for you now. On to the next one.

LRB

I usually arrive at races way early because I'm always worried about parking & bathroom situations. Sometimes I end up sitting in my car for a long time, but NBD; sometimes it turns out to be just right.

The Rock CF Half starts at 8:00, the main parking lot closes at 6:00. After that, you have to bus it to the start. I've run it three times and have made it to the main parking lot before it closed each time. I would just rather be there than square. And you're right, it's not a big deal. It's an hour drive so my day starts at 4:00, but I just chill out until it's time to jog.

Coastal

Sounds like a frustrating race.  Definitely find something else besides GU.  You probably don't need anything for a half, but going longer you'll want something.  Maybe look at what the ultra crowd uses?