Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Orange Leaf 5K and Half Mrathon (Read 11 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos.  I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more!

LOTS of photos for this report!  I did not realize until I got home and saw my camera count that I took over 100 photos for this event. If you don't want to read the full report below with my commentary, here is a slideshow of the photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2034%20Orange%20Leaf%205K%20and%20Half

BEFORE MY START

The Orange Leaf 5K was my 34th race of 2016.  There was also a half marathon.   The nonprofit beneficiary of this race was Chosen Child Adoption Services.  The local Orange Leaf  Yogurt store was the primary sponsor, hence the race name.  Start and finish at Cross Creek shopping plaza in New Braunfels.  An early start for the events, with the half starting at 6:30 a.m. and the 5K starting at 7 a.m.  I wish ALL Race Directors would do this cuz an early start in hot Texas summer is sooooo nice!   I arrived on location with about a half hour to go for the half start and wandered around taking some pre-start photos and a few of the half folks getting on their way.  Also got photos of some of the 5K participants.

Here I am wearing Orange for the Orange Leaf.   Nice, as orange is actually my favorite color;  and my personality too, according to some psyche-eval test I once took.  Yes, I'm strange... 

photo 007_zpszcipu4xy.jpg

My friends at race management company Athlete Guild making all their race preparations before the start. They had to be on location VERY early.

photo 001_zpsxdows4px.jpg

Our MC for this event

photo 023_zpsnz31ujlx.jpg

photo 079_zps12isg0ka.jpg

My friend William.  The photo on his shirt is of his amazing running dog, Duke, who was not here today as William was running the half and it was a bit too humid for Duke to go that long.  On the back of his shirt, William has printed "You've Been Duked"..which people can read as my speedy friend passes them, lol.

photo 002_zpss9w1bwp5.jpg

The lovely owner of the Orange Leaf store.  Thanks for this event and the free yogurt to all participants.

photo 009_zpsmsfsemst.jpg

Some of the other participants, volunteers, etc

photo 003_zpskthbbylp.jpg

photo 004_zpsjymk5xzm.jpg

photo 005_zpsl1gf07xo.jpg

photo 006_zpsxkreh6ew.jpg

photo 008_zpszlez0vnu.jpg

photo 010_zpsza0a0bps.jpg

photo 011_zps3yo2o0ld.jpg

photo 012_zpszie0wdjy.jpg

The Half folks are heading out...

photo 013_zpsgu1fe1kq.jpg

photo 014_zps1eyjayos.jpg

photo 015_zps7ezvaoum.jpg

photo 016_zpscjuuznrp.jpg

5K folks and everyone else now waiting for the 5K to start

photo 017_zpsj86s4inz.jpg

photo 018_zps8n8ob0df.jpg

Where's the beef?  Well, here it is! 

photo 019_zps1a5zuomj.jpg

photo 020_zpsr5qyuvwc.jpg

Team "Chosen"

photo 022_zpsqmdruepz.jpg

photo 024_zpsa9pgws4y.jpg

photo 025_zpsgugjc2rd.jpg

photo 026_zpsvdujh2bn.jpg

Getting ready to start the 5K

photo 027_zpseq6topga.jpg

ON THE COURSE

And we are off!  Out of the parking lot by Orange Leaf, right turn, up one of the shopping center roads, left turn and down a cement road to an asphalt 2-lane 'country road" we went down to a turn-around point, and then back the way we'd come out...flat flat FLAT! Very nice.  Good course for a 5K PR try for those of you who may be interested in that.  My first mile was 10:45 - - what?!! I didn't even know I could run under 11 minute miles, lol - especially as I've been slowly 'nursing back" from a torn adductor I got in March.  I knew I'd pay for that in the back half of the course, and I did, ending up with positive splits.

photo 028_zpsnxoyensd.jpg

photo 029_zpsdacispsp.jpg

photo 030_zpswguoctcu.jpg

photo 031_zpsaybzyufq.jpg

photo 032_zps9xa0lt1d.jpg

On the country road

photo 033_zpsyubdfxqi.jpg

photo 034_zps4txv1p7b.jpg

photo 035_zpsliwwdlvk.jpg

photo 036_zps8hjmoi69.jpg

photo 037_zpshgvroqd3.jpg

Dang...I wish I could do that....nap on the run... 

photo 038_zps4htmamrx.jpg

photo 039_zpsomcsitmf.jpg

Back on the cement road, heading for the finish

photo 040_zpsiupsbj8k.jpg

photo 041_zpsdivnel0y.jpg

photo 042_zpsqu7dtttw.jpg

Well, I managed to finish in 34:45.  I didn't even come close to placing in my 60 - 64 age group, lol, as the first 3 guys in my AG were 8-and-9 minute milers.  It's all good....compared to my 37-something finish at the Too Hot To Handle 5K the week before, this time made me feel my leg is making some good healing progress, so I was very satisfied with my finish time.

AFTER MY FINISH

After doing a cool-down walk and getting some water in me, it was time to get some "Happy Finishers" et al photo. The half folks each got a finisher medal, so those folks wearing the medals did the half.

photo 043_zps7l2zewex.jpg

Free smoothies of various flavors for all the finishers who wanted one, courtesy of this guy and his crew

photo 044_zpseexjwqgk.jpg

photo 067_zps6d7ndxoa.jpg

photo 045_zpsvsxhnxgh.jpg

photo 046_zpsb6lerclg.jpg

photo 047_zps9uqqdxrh.jpg

I found MY favorite post-race treat....

photo 048_zpscsfgksj3.jpg

Oh yeah.....

photo 055_zpsoufhruvp.jpg

And there was pizza

photo 052_zpsoq7sznct.jpg

Served up by these volunteers

photo 083_zpschmlsxvb.jpg

photo 057_zpsyitnkjxq.jpg

photo 049_zpswqt5riww.jpg

photo 050_zpss3wdffsv.jpg

photo 054_zpsoxpqoehw.jpg

photo 058_zpsysuaxn4a.jpg

photo 059_zpsifm8xkyi.jpg

photo 061_zpscjov8piy.jpg

photo 062_zpshbbzjddz.jpg

photo 066_zpsnvinjtw3.jpg

photo 068_zpsdzkw5wub.jpg

photo 069_zpsxybjbcpt.jpg

photo 070_zpsfw609obj.jpg

BIG dog!  Friendly too.  Yes, I did give him a doggie treat.

photo 071_zps98zsgmqb.jpg

photo 073_zpsrsddvi95.jpg

photo 074_zps1ykofrdj.jpg

Yeah, this guy has it down post-race...beer, relaxing chair...

photo 075_zpsgxrmhmzi.jpg

photo 076_zps2fxgf1qj.jpg

photo 077_zpsvizwibp4.jpg

photo 078_zpswuzhmxld.jpg

photo 080_zpsqctmwjcb.jpg

photo 084_zpsap4gyseu.jpg

photo 085_zpscdcpaglm.jpg

photo 088_zpseyqqdyqp.jpg

photo 089_zpsxmlcjbfc.jpg

photo 090_zpsnjtcvf2h.jpg

photo 091_zpsct62dqsd.jpg

photo 092_zpsg3k7y3eb.jpg

photo 093_zps9q0mofh3.jpg

photo 096_zps2bfyw0fq.jpg

photo 097_zps7jcbvk3f.jpg

photo 098_zpsnx7hf6xf.jpg

photo 099_zpszehopkce.jpg

photo 100_zpsqmdycbq4.jpg

photo 101_zpstsvz4kka.jpg

My friend William got a finisher medal and an Age Group medal, finishing first in his group at 1:34:12, averaging 7:11 per mile, sheesh!  His dog, Duke, is so proud! 

photo 051_zpsag2wocw6.jpg

photo 107_zpshsk88slt.jpg

photo 106_zpsv1wjvfc4.jpg

William and Team RWB member, a group of which I am also a member.

photo 053_zpsqrwaehrj.jpg

This is how and old man makes himself look good.....stand next to lots of lovely ladies...

photo 056_zpsd8r8xvei.jpg

A co-worker at UTSA, Martha, where I also work.  And we have mutual friend at UTSA, our friend Elizabeth, who SHOULD be running by now after recovering from an injury....I told Martha to tell Elizabeth she better get with the program or we are both going to hound her, lol.

photo 060_zpsugmaa1ew.jpg

photo 064_zpslseppd4l.jpg

photo 094_zps2y3j8twn.jpg

photo 102_zpstvtb58hs.jpg

My friend, Elaine, who also placed in the half

photo 081_zpsv2nkof9i.jpg

Running friend Rudi placed too...dang, I got some speedy friends.

photo 082_zpseujzyx0r.jpg

photo 104_zpsr7eppeeb.jpg

Athlete Guild...it's all over now guys, you can relax a bit;  well...except for takedown, cleanup, etc... 

photo 087_zps45jmp83l.jpg

EPILOGUE

Very nice event which I have done several times in past years.  One of the few races in the New Braunfels area that is quite flat, a rarity around the New Braunfels area, most of the the races in this local area include a hill or two..or more!  Athlete Guild did their usual great job of course setup, race results, etc.  Lots of post-race goodies, so thanks to all the sponsors who provided those.  Mucho thanks to local law enforcement, volunteers, race organizers, sponsors, etc., all the people that made this one happen for we participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Good that the abductor is healing up. Was it humid? The pictures make me think it is the typical Baltimore-DC summer weather--hazy, hot & humid.